Vaccination required?

mattR

Hi looking at maybe doing a family cruise to Alaska (we are all Canadian) however some of my siblings are not vaccinated.   Trying to figure out if it's possible for them to do a roundtrip cruise out of Vancouver BC to Alaska.   Alaska's website says they don't require vaccination however US Homeland security website states that all non-us citizens be vaccinated.  Policy was last updated Apr 21/22 so over 11 months ago is this still the current policy?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/fact-sheet-guidance-travelers-enter-us-land-ports-entry-and-ferry-terminals

16 hours ago, mattR said:

Hi looking at maybe doing a family cruise to Alaska (we are all Canadian) however some of my siblings are not vaccinated.   Trying to figure out if it's possible for them to do a roundtrip cruise out of Vancouver BC to Alaska.   Alaska's website says they don't require vaccination however US Homeland security website states that all non-us citizens be vaccinated.  Policy was last updated Apr 21/22 so over 11 months ago is this still the current policy?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/29/fact-sheet-guidance-travelers-enter-us-land-ports-entry-and-ferry-terminals

In addition to Federal requirements, you should also check with the cruise line your are considering, as our preferred cruise line still requires mandatory vaccinations.

It's confusing when you read something like this from the cruise line website:

Travel Requirements for Sailings
in the United States, Canada, and Europe
as of November 9, 2022

If you’re currently booked on a cruise vacation with us and have provided an email address, you will be advised of the latest requirements leading up to departure. Be sure to register for a guest account so that we may reach you with any updates.

All travelers departing from US, Canadian, and European ports are welcome to cruise with us regardless of vaccination status and will no longer be required to provide proof of pre-departure testing, except for specific sailings where vaccination or testing are required by law.

It says all travelers but in reality as a Canadian I can't cruise from Canada to Alaska as the US Federal government still requires vaccination. 

13 hours ago, mattR said:

It's confusing when you read something like this from the cruise line website:

Travel Requirements for Sailings
in the United States, Canada, and Europe
as of November 9, 2022

If you’re currently booked on a cruise vacation with us and have provided an email address, you will be advised of the latest requirements leading up to departure. Be sure to register for a guest account so that we may reach you with any updates.

All travelers departing from US, Canadian, and European ports are welcome to cruise with us regardless of vaccination status and will no longer be required to provide proof of pre-departure testing, except for specific sailings where vaccination or testing are required by law.

It says all travelers but in reality as a Canadian I can't cruise from Canada to Alaska as the US Federal government still requires vaccination. 

interesting.  My daughter and BF just drove across border to Niagara falls from the US and they were not asked for any proof of vaccination both verbal and physical both ways.  This was last week.

It had often been quoted in the media that the vaccination requirement applies to those entering the USA by air.   This is the latest I could find from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/proof-of-vaccination.html

Our cruise line, Cunard, has said that proof of vaccination is not required for an Alaska cruise from Vancouver but warns that situation could change. Our agent recommends bringing proof of vaccination just in case.

The White House plans to end the COVID public health emergency on May 11. "As we approach the end of the public health emergency, the administration will review all relevant policies, including this one," the White House said.

"This one" means the vax requirement for non residents to enter the US.

It is likely the vax requirement will be dropped then.

Hopefully.

This is super interesting as we are cruising at the end of April and I haven't found anything about being asked for proof of vaccination - definitely not on the cruise ship - I've been keeping up with the guidance there - and nothing when I booked our air tickets - we are cruising out of Seattle.

We were in and out of the US last year and definitely were expected to provide proof of vaccination and were warned when we booked our tickets.

Do you have to upload proof to the airline before flying?  Please let me know how your trip works out.  I have advised my family to hold off booking until the official rules have changed so looking at maybe September or switch to  warmer cruise in January. 

1 hour ago, mattR said:

Do you have to upload proof to the airline before flying?  Please let me know how your trip works out.  I have advised my family to hold off booking until the official rules have changed so looking at maybe September or switch to  warmer cruise in January. 

No, you will attest that you are fully caccinated.

23 hours ago, kickboxrca said:

This is super interesting as we are cruising at the end of April and I haven't found anything about being asked for proof of vaccination - definitely not on the cruise ship - I've been keeping up with the guidance there - and nothing when I booked our air tickets - we are cruising out of Seattle.

We were in and out of the US last year and definitely were expected to provide proof of vaccination and were warned when we booked our tickets.

When you do your online check in for the flight to Seattle, you will be asked to "attest" that you have been fully vaccinated.

• Thanks 1