Jeans for elegant night on a Caribbean cruise?

GatorSF

On 3/26/2023 at 2:39 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

No one cares, MSC don't care.

We even had people in yacht club wearing shorts every night.

When we cruised on Divina we saw people who had to change when they arrived at the YC restaurant for dinner wearing shorts and that wasn't even on a formal night.

That was a few years ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

When we cruised on Divina we saw people who had to change when they arrived at the YC restaurant for dinner wearing shorts and that wasn't even on a formal night.

That was a few years ago.

They don't do that anymore apparently.

I will be on Splendida next week for 18 nights so I will see how it is outside the Caribbean now.

We arrived in Africa last night for safari and I will say the sky lounge in our hotel, everyone seemed dressed very well.

We were on the Divina a few years back and the only person who was turned away on Formal night was wearing shorts. Long pants of any style were fine. Children were allowed to wear shorts though. 

• Thanks 1

On our recent Celebrity Equinox sailing, husband "forgot" to pack nice pants.  He wore jeans he wore on the plane that had a gigantic hole that we discovered when at the airport in FLL.  He wore long shorts  I also wore jeans that night.  We actually were reprimanded by the hostess that no jeans or shorts in Blu.  We did go back and he had to wear the jeans with the hole in them.  His long shorts were fine.  We only ate there 5 out of 9 nights I believe as the hole kept getting bigger.  We stuck with the buffet.  Yes, he probably could have bought pants for $118 in the gift shops but we weren't going to do that as we weren't fans of Blu plus he'd probably never wear them again.  I am going to pack his pants in my stuff next cruise and check for holes.

• Haha 1

I have never had my dining experience on any cruise ship impacted by what others wore.  When I first started cruising, tuxes were everyday attire, and many ladies used the formal night as an excuse to bring out the Mother of the Bride dresses for a repeat performance.  It was pretty entertaining to sit and watch the parade going into dinner.  I do miss that spectacle.  But, that was years ago and times change.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I have never had my dining experience on any cruise ship impacted by what others wore.  When I first started cruising, tuxes were everyday attire, and many ladies used the formal night as an excuse to bring out the Mother of the Bride dresses for a repeat performance.  It was pretty entertaining to sit and watch the parade going into dinner.  I do miss that spectacle.  But, that was years ago and times change.  

We are certainly a more casual society in general.  Not saying its good or bad, just that things are different.

Man's Tailcoat (c. 1790).jpg

On 3/26/2023 at 7:39 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

No one cares, MSC don't care.

We even had people in yacht club wearing shorts every night.Dressing up is just something to sell pictures, have the hair salon sell up dos, and to try and create an event out of nothing.

Other than that what is really the point? Walking around looking at each other thinking you are better than them?😁

You will get 1 or 2 people in a penguin suit on a Caribbean cruise who anointed themselves God of the dress I guess.

Overall I agree...tho I did see a man turned away wearing shorts on formal night on Divina in Feb.

• Thanks 1