Chair hogs be warned

melbur

15 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Interesting.

From what you describe, would you predict that a "Locker Hog" would come back at that once a day time and renew their code?

My thoughts for instance, the code is reset at 6am. I clear my items from the locker before going to my cabin at night, wake up early enough to get the locker at 6am after reset, put my items back in for the day, and do it for the cruise. The only thing necessary is to know the time of reset. With that type of logic, one locker per cabin would be necessary on the Lido deck.

About 3,000 lockers need to be created on just one Oasis class ship! Where will we find space for them? 😁

I am always amazed how much time and effort people exert to circumvent policy and rules.

I see what you are saying, and don't really have great suggestion. Say lockers are opened and cleaned out at 10PM, then locked for the evening with locker rentals(free or charge) beginning again the following morning at 7AM? You're right in that there's no room to have enough space for everyone. Maybe there would be enough to take the burden away from the pool chairs though. I really don't require a chair because I'm either in a pool, hot tub or not on the pool deck. I just need a spot to put my stuff, which is usually underneath a chair with someone elses stuff on it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keishashadow said:

Surprised to never observe any sort of major confrontation, even the one time the taggers did come ‘round. the couple just indicated the two loungers were open when they sat down & the other couple gathered their stuff & left.

The end part of that is the worst.   They hadn't even wanted the loungers any longer, they just wanted a place to dump their stuff.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, keishashadow said:

I generally wake early, especially when no balcony, I’m up on deck well before 7 am.  Grab two loungers (try for partial shade).  Quickly off for coffee, juice & a pastry, back on lounger to hold down the fort until the mr rises and joins me for breakfast around 9 am.

Isn't this the definition of a CHAIR HOG?

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Interesting.

From what you describe, would you predict that a "Locker Hog" would come back at that once a day time and renew their code?

My thoughts for instance, the code is reset at 6am. I clear my items from the locker before going to my cabin at night, wake up early enough to get the locker at 6am after reset, put my items back in for the day, and do it for the cruise. The only thing necessary is to know the time of reset. With that type of logic, one locker per cabin would be necessary on the Lido deck.

About 3,000 lockers need to be created on just one Oasis class ship! Where will we find space for them? 😁

I am always amazed how much time and effort people exert to circumvent policy and rules.

That's why I don't think lockers are the answer... CUBBIES are.  A locker can be "hogged" even with nothing in it.  Sure, a cubbie can be hogged, but at least there are things in it.  Why exactly that makes a difference, I don't know, but it does in my head.

There needs to be an easy way for crew to KNOW who has been gone from the pool deck for a while, without requiring adding something (anything RCI adds will require an increase in fees after all).  That's why I lean toward arranging the towels a specific way (that wouldn't be some way a random passenger might do).  And simply checking once an hour.  If the towel is still arranged the same way, it means no one has disturbed it in an hour.  If no one has disturbed it in an hour, the towel, along with anything else on the chair, gets taken to the towel station.  

IMO, this is simple, easy to see, and easy to implement.  

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That's why I don't think lockers are the answer... CUBBIES are.  A locker can be "hogged" even with nothing in it.  Sure, a cubbie can be hogged, but at least there are things in it.  Why exactly that makes a difference, I don't know, but it does in my head.

There needs to be an easy way for crew to KNOW who has been gone from the pool deck for a while, without requiring adding something (anything RCI adds will require an increase in fees after all).  That's why I lean toward arranging the towels a specific way (that wouldn't be some way a random passenger might do).  And simply checking once an hour.  If the towel is still arranged the same way, it means no one has disturbed it in an hour.  If no one has disturbed it in an hour, the towel, along with anything else on the chair, gets taken to the towel station.  

IMO, this is simple, easy to see, and easy to implement.  

I understand your thought that a "locked" space would only create a new type of "Hog".

I do agree that a one hour "maximum" time limit gives a bit of wiggle room for the 30 minute rule.

Always comes down to the fact that it will take employee time to make this effective which seems to be an issue with the cruise lines trying to reduce staffing (or working with the amount of staff they can find).

Any employee assigned to this task will always be afraid of their "name tag" being associated with negative customer reviews even though they were only "following policy."

We were on the Freedom of the Seas March 27 - 31.  On the only sea day, I was in the solarium, reading, at 7 a.m.  A woman came in slightly later and threw a towel on all eight chairs in a group (four in each of two facing rows). She stayed there and later one man joined her. He moved two additional chairs, so they had a group of ten chairs, with both rows sticking out into the solarium walkway. Two officers arrived and they were told to move the two extra chairs. I heard the woman say, “But we have a group of like thirteen!”   They then ignored the officers and did not move the chairs. It was at least two hours before any of her large group showed up, and there were never more than six there at a time.  The extra chairs were put back in place by the crew that night. 

22 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Always comes down to the fact that it will take employee time to make this effective which seems to be an issue with the cruise lines trying to reduce staffing (or working with the amount of staff they can find).

Totally agree.  That's why I think IF a system is going to be put in place, it needs to be one that's easy and not time consuming.

22 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Any employee assigned to this task will always be afraid of their "name tag" being associated with negative customer reviews even though they were only "following policy."

Well, the entire issue is whether Royal wants to risk upsetting the "hogs" vs upsetting the "non-hogs"(?).  The only way a "hog" is going to know the name tag of the crew member who took their stuff is if someone is hogging multiple chairs and the crew member "clears" the chairs that aren't in use.  

Maybe the policy could even be you can save ONE additional chair.  So, for example, DW and I go to the pool deck and snag two chairs.  She sits down in hers, I go to the hot tub, the bar, whatever.  The crew member comes by and DW says "he'll be right back".  Maybe they allow that, but not multiple chairs?  Just a thought. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Isn't this the definition of a CHAIR HOG?

Thankfully, I’m not the arbiter. Let the cruise lines take that heat.  If they would just lay down the rules to follow, then enforce them, this all would be a moot point & we could go back to complaining about dining.

I’d answer “No” to you.  IMO being out of chair for whatever break has been decreed permissible by the cruise line (whether 30 or 45 min) doesn’t meet the definition of being a chair hog.  Some might argue the practice is a little bit piggy, however, not sure if it’s akin to being pregnant…you either are or you aren’t sort of thing.😏

YMMV.  My take is a chair hog gets up early, claims a chair(s) and doesn’t return for hours, if at all.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

That's why I lean toward arranging the towels a specific way (that wouldn't be some way a random passenger might do).  And simply checking once an hour.  If the towel is still arranged the same way, it means no one has disturbed it in an hour.  If no one has disturbed it in an hour, the towel, along with anything else on the chair, gets taken to the towel station.  

Smart idea.  

First thing I thot of was a couple of sailings on CCL, wherein there was a takeover by towel animals in the AM.  

F7042C99-7B5E-4331-A085-B0FA6A3CE1EF.jpeg.80dff3177c98ad776ddc0dbf019728b8.jpeg

• Like 3

Well, if people just stop respecting the chair hogs stuff then Royal won't have to do any more than back up the person that removed the stuff.  

I truly plan on going to the pool early on the first morning, hang out and read for an hour, and then snag towels for all of our group.    Then turning in all the chair hogs towels that we don't need.  After that, we'll just exchange out our towels and won't have to worry about there ever being a charge, if for example the cabin steward accidentally grabs it.   

• Like 2

I dont think people should be away from chairs more than 30-45 minutes.  I wake up EARLY for mine and get a prime spot and I eat my breakfast outside in my chair.  I even take a nap to recover from waking up early.    However, I personally enjoy watching people who sleep in to 11am on a sea day get all upset that the premium pool side spots are all taken by folks who got up early.   There are plenty of chairs on the upper decks.   If you want poolside, dont sleep in.   If you want to sleep in, dont expect poolside.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Well, if people just stop respecting the chair hogs stuff then Royal won't have to do any more than back up the person that removed the stuff.  

I truly plan on going to the pool early on the first morning, hang out and read for an hour, and then snag towels for all of our group.    Then turning in all the chair hogs towels that we don't need.  After that, we'll just exchange out our towels and won't have to worry about there ever being a charge, if for example the cabin steward accidentally grabs it.   

BUT, that relies on someone being at the same spot for 30 minutes+ to see that the hogs ARE actually hogging.  If I walk up to the pool deck at 8:30 (for example), I have no idea if the chairs are legitimately taken or if they're being hogged.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, keishashadow said:

Granted, haven’t cruised since precovid, many things have changed.

In the past on RCCL & other lines, many times people would inquire if ‘tagged’ loungers next us were “ours”.  Next question was whether the lounger had been occupied while we were there.  When I’d indicate no, they took it upon themselves to fold up the towels & random flip flop/old book, place it upon another nearby lounger and plop down.

Surprised to never observe any sort of major confrontation, even the one time the taggers did come ‘round. the couple just indicated the two loungers were open when they sat down & the other couple gathered their stuff & left.

I generally wake early, especially when no balcony, I’m up on deck well before 7 am.  Grab two loungers (try for partial shade).  Quickly off for coffee, juice & a pastry, back on lounger to hold down the fort until the mr rises and joins me for breakfast around 9 am.

I don’t see why you can’t just summon pool staff/visit them at the towel stand and get a post a note filled out to mark the lounger as to the time you departed & the clock starts ticking.   Depending on the throng, IMO 30 minutes can be too short to eat in WJ, especially if you want an egg-white omelette.  Thinking 45 minutes is more realistic.

Not every day someone on this site admits to being a chair hog. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, keishashadow said:

Thankfully, I’m not the arbiter. Let the cruise lines take that heat.  If they would just lay down the rules to follow, then enforce them, this all would be a moot point & we could go back to complaining about dining.

I’d answer “No” to you.  IMO being out of chair for whatever break has been decreed permissible by the cruise line (whether 30 or 45 min) doesn’t meet the definition of being a chair hog.  Some might argue the practice is a little bit piggy, however, not sure if it’s akin to being pregnant…you either are or you aren’t sort of thing.😏

YMMV.  My take is a chair hog gets up early, claims a chair(s) and doesn’t return for hours, if at all.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-i-reserve-pool-deck-chairs

Q

Can I reserve pool deck chairs?

A

Pool deck chairs are only available on a first come, first served basis and cannot be reserved. We want to ensure that all guests have a great time at the pool. If a pool chair is left unattended for more than 30 minutes with no signs of any guests returning, our crew will remove any belongings and place them in the lost and found. 

• Like 6

On 3/28/2023 at 12:11 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

ya I am glad I DO NOT like the loungers that are hard to get in and out of.

No way would I ever fight for one of them.  I like chairs.

But early birds are in every aspect of cruising that includes meals and shows.  It is just the way it is.

Same thing with getting off for shore excursions.  Some folks will get off early and head to bus to grab a seat early.  This I have done.  I make sure I am at the top of the theatre and walk very fast.

I even see others trying to out race me to the bus.  So funny but it is the way it is.

The mentality is "I paid my money and I want every bit I can grab".  

Saw two older women push themselves in the bus door while the attendant was trying to get a person in a wheelchair out.  He told them to wait but they cackled something about having paid for their tickets.  Very embarrassing lack of simple courtesy.  There seemingly is no longer any shame.  

What happened to people behaving with grace.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-i-reserve-pool-deck-chairs

Q

Can I reserve pool deck chairs?

A

Pool deck chairs are only available on a first come, first served basis and cannot be reserved. We want to ensure that all guests have a great time at the pool. If a pool chair is left unattended for more than 30 minutes with no signs of any guests returning, our crew will remove any belongings and place them in the lost and found. 

You can post all the links you want.  If crew don't follow them, nothing will happen. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not every day someone on this site admits to being a chair hog. 

🤨 um, sure? I’d venture guessing it’s far more commonplace for somebody to proffer a shady interpretation of another’s post.  

too bad it’s dead wrong.   Good thing I do have thick skin, not unlike a 🐷 

Now that Ret MP has graciously posted the official  RCCL edict on the subject, we can all toe the same line…here at least 

For the larger cruising populace, suggest it would be prudent if RCCL makes a concerted effort to post it prominently on deck, in app

& in onboard announcements to bring all up to speed

2 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

🤨 um, sure? I’d venture guessing it’s far more commonplace for somebody to proffer a shady interpretation of another’s post.  

too bad it’s dead wrong.   Good thing I do have thick skin, not unlike a 🐷 

Now that Ret MP has graciously posted the official  RCCL edict on the subject, we can all toe the same line…here at least 

For the larger cruising populace, suggest it would be prudent if RCCL makes a concerted effort to post it prominently on deck, in app

& in onboard announcements to bring all up to speed

You said you save a chair for your spouse for 2 hours. That is the textbook definition of a chair hog. 

• Like 15

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

You said you save a chair for your spouse for 2 hours. That is the textbook definition of a chair hog. 

Since you keep swinging & appear determined to label me here, will take the high road & give it one more go.  

We can agree to disagree or not.  Heck, I’ll even verge into the metaphysical here…

“if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?”

every time I’ve sailed, only observed a few other people stroll thru in areas I prefer.  Rarely any people sitting, always a fair amount of towels laid out poolside though

If I ever would find people starting to circle that vacant chair beside me pre breakfast 9 am, wouldn’t hesitate to summon the mr to roll on up sooner.  

things indeed may have changed since last I was on a ship. Cannot wait to sail again in a month with the mr by my side.  No amount of trolling is going to break that vibe. ☀️

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

For the larger cruising populace, suggest it would be prudent if RCCL makes a concerted effort to post it prominently on deck, in app & in onboard announcements to bring all up to speed

Just an FYI.  Aren't there pictures of RCCL's new chair back covers stating that reserving chairs is not authorized?  So, it looks like MAYBE they are doing some proactive stuff finally.  AND you can't, "makes a concerted effort to post it prominently on deck, in app & in onboard announcements" for every policy.  And I think, which is my opinion, it is only common decency that if you are going to be gone for an extended period of time (I believe it should be more than 30 minutes) you should give it up.  Those that get out there at the crack of dawn, put a towel on the lounger, and then take an excursion or do other activities for hours are completely and totally socially unaware of anybody else other than themselves.  The epitome of selfishness.  

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

You can post all the links you want.  If crew don't follow them, nothing will happen. 

First:  I just posted the policy, I didn't comment on it.

Second:  I've said many many times in this board, many times that it doesn't matter if a policy wasn't enforced yesterday, the day before that, or the day before that.  Do you, not you personally, want to be the subject of that one employee that actually does his/her job?  I'm fully aware that a policy doesn't mean s.... if it isn't enforced.  

Last:  I will!

EDITED IN:  The link was in response to a person saying that there wasn't a policy.  And apparently, there is.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Just an FYI.  Aren't there pictures of RCCL's new chair back covers stating that reserving chairs is not authorized?  So, it looks like MAYBE they are doing some proactive stuff finally.  AND you can't, "makes a concerted effort to post it prominently on deck, in app & in onboard announcements" for every policy.  And I think, which is my opinion, it is only common decency that if you are going to be gone for an extended period of time (I believe it should be more than 30 minutes) you should give it up.  Those that get out there at the crack of dawn, put a towel on the lounger, and then take an excursion or do other activities for hours are completely and totally socially unaware of anybody else other than themselves.  The epitome of selfishness.  

They have had those signs on Freedom since last Summer. I have only seen the signs starting to show up on other ships recently. On the 6 cruises on Freedom I have been on since last Summer there was no change in enforcing saving chairs. Chair hogging has still been an issue on cruises I have been on this year on Wonder (3 times), Odyssey, Grandeur and Mariner. At least on non-Oasis ships you can usually find chairs available if you go up a level and move away from the pool(s) area. My experience on Oasis class ships is there are not nearly enough chairs on and around the pool decks. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I didn’t catch the lounger covers were in place on all the ships.  It’s a start to educate and would certainly help staff do their jobs.  

I’m honestly not debating the concept of a set time for a lounger to be claimed, yet vacant.  Do think 30 minutes is barely long enough to use the bathroom at times.  

All the scenarios you mention are indeed thoughtless.