Chair hogs be warned

melbur

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

So, saved 2 chairs while you ate the early breakfast.  Then saved again waiting for hubby to arrive at 9.  Then I suspect you saved them again while the two of you go to breakfast at 9.  

Not quite, there’s a word for this…assume

I Grab coffee & pastry, no more than 5 min or so as I bring back to seats.  Btw If cabin is located at that windjammer  bank of elevators will grab it first. 

Edited by keishashadow

40 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

If people go swimming, they can mention something to someone nearby.  

And if a) there's either no one nearby or b) the people you told you were going to the pool get up and leave while you're in the pool?  

People who use the pool want SOMEWHERE to put their stuff (towels, a book to read for after their swim, sunscreen, sandals, etc) while they're in the pool.  That's why SOME loungers are being "legitimately hogged" (IMO of course).  Someone is in the immediate vicinity, using what's available to them, and their butt ISN'T in a chair.  

Other people want the OPTION of using the lounger to sit in at some point in the future.  These are the "hogs" that need to be butchered.  IMO again of course. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

There is no need to leave a note when when I go to get food because there is a time frame to accomplish it. And I neither carry paper nor a pen around with me all day to be writing notes.

If you don't think that your position is extreme that is fine because we all know it isn't going to happen.

That it isn't going to happen I agree with.  My real point is why a chair should be unavailable while someone is off eating.  Let someone else use it.   

25 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

And if a) there's either no one nearby or b) the people you told you were going to the pool get up and leave while you're in the pool?  

People who use the pool want SOMEWHERE to put their stuff (towels, a book to read for after their swim, sunscreen, sandals, etc) while they're in the pool.  That's why SOME loungers are being "legitimately hogged" (IMO of course).  Someone is in the immediate vicinity, using what's available to them, and their butt ISN'T in a chair.  

Other people want the OPTION of using the lounger to sit in at some point in the future.  These are the "hogs" that need to be butchered.  IMO again of course. 

I would change "legitimately hogged" to "legitimately occupied".   

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

That it isn't going to happen I agree with.  My real point is why a chair should be unavailable while someone is off eating.  Let someone else use it.   

Then why not say the same about the person off in the pool? Why should the chair be unavailable?

30 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

Not quite, there’s a word for this…assume

I Grab coffee & pastry, no more than 5 min or so as I bring back to seats.  Btw If cabin is located at that windjammer  bank of elevators will grab it first. 

I'm sorry but your comment was that your reserved your spots then were off to grab your coffee & pastry.  Clarifying your comment I understand.  I frequently need to do that.  

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm sorry but your comment was that your reserved your spots then were off to grab your coffee & pastry.  Clarifying your comment I understand.  I frequently need to do that.  

So if it’s something you also do, it’s ok?

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Then why not say the same about the person off in the pool? Why should the chair be unavailable?

Fair question.  Because that person in the pool is there using the pool area.  I see that as different than saving a chair while a person is having a meal in a dining area.   

I think a lot, if not most, pool users take a quick dip then are back basking in the sun.  So they are essentially occupying they lounge.   Some may stay in the pool a long time and not use the chair.  Others have suggested some kind of cubbies for the latter.   

3 minutes ago, poocher said:

So if it’s something you also do, it’s ok?

Either I really miscommunicated or you misread.   I was referring to my need to clarify my comments (kinda like right now).    

13 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Either I really miscommunicated or you misread.   I was referring to my need to clarify my comments (kinda like right now).    

So when you go to get your coffee and pastries make sure you are also carrying your towels and what ever else you need for the day before you go claim your lounger.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Fair question.  Because that person in the pool is there using the pool area.  I see that as different than saving a chair while a person is having a meal in a dining area.   

IDK. At the risk of splitting hairs it does strike me that out of seat for whatever reason is still not technically ‘in seat’; if strictly going by the letter. 

perhaps if they would concentrate their enforcement on loungers surrounding the pools that would work?

I’m usually at adult pool, prefer loungers with ocean view there. Take what I can get.  Will take what I can get. It seems a bit easier on the oasis ships to find seating there, might be due to more space/chairs.  

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

So when you go to get your coffee and pastries make sure you are also carrying your towels and what ever else you need for the day before you go claim your lounger.

I usually eat in the dining venue & don't claim loungers.  Sometimes I will get coffee and sit outside.  Don't think I've ever used a lounger around the pool for that.  

Anyway, I'm stating my opinion on the chair hog issue and current rules for saving loungers, which very clearly differs from several folks on this thread.  

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I usually eat in the dining venue & don't claim loungers.  Sometimes I will get coffee and sit outside.  Don't think I've ever used a lounger around the pool for that.  

Anyway, I'm stating my opinion on the chair hog issue and current rules for saving loungers, which very clearly differs from several folks on this thread.  

Now I understand. You have no skin in this game but would like to see rules put in place that are unworkable for most everyone out on those decks.

5 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

IDK. At the risk of splitting hairs it does strike me that out of seat for whatever reason is still not technically ‘in seat’; if strictly going by the letter. 

perhaps if they would concentrate their enforcement on loungers surrounding the pools that would work?

I’m usually at adult pool, prefer loungers with ocean view there. Take what I can get.  Will take what I can get. It seems a bit easier on the oasis ships to find seating there, might be due to more space/chairs.  

I don't think you are splitting hairs because the current rules allow unoccupied seats for any reason.  Reading this thread, it sounds like a lot of the issues relate to lack of enforcement.   

If I recall the Oasis has two pools and lots of chairs.   We were on Oasis late last year for a Caribbean cruise.  We never used the poolside chairs out of preference. We did always manage to find a place to sit along the outside windows.  

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Now I understand. You have no skin in this game but would like to see rules put in place that are unworkable for most everyone out on those decks.

I already agreed it is unworkable for those who want to save chairs while away doing something else.   

I do not use the poolside chairs to bask in the sun.  It isn't very often I use the pool and typically not for long.  I will use a chair if there is an unoccupied one that isn't saved.  I have not reserved a chair while eating a meal.    So yes, my perspective is different than someone who saves a chair for long periods.  I made a suggestion based on what I observe on the pool deck and what I read here.  Didn't know there was some other prerequisite for commenting on this subject.  

15 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Didn't know there was some other prerequisite for commenting on this subject.  

Understanding, even just a little, the needs and workability for the people who actually use the the area would be a good start.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Understanding the needs and workability for the people who actually use the the area would be a good start.

I do think I understand.  A bunch of people (not everyone) want to claim chairs then leave them unoccupied for lengthy periods while they go off and do other things.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I do think I understand.  A bunch of people (not everyone) want to claim chairs then leave them unoccupied for lengthy periods while they go off and do other things.  

Ok, and I think you don't understand or you never would have suggested cutting the 30 minute rule down to zero. Anyway, as I said before, since your suggestions will never become reality.... carry on......

59 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ok, and I think you don't understand or you never would have suggested cutting the 30 minute rule down to zero. Anyway, as I said before, since your suggestions will never become reality.... carry on......

I think maybe it is more disagreement than understanding.   Take care.  

21 hours ago, ldubs said:

So, saved 2 chairs while you ate the early breakfast.  Then saved again waiting for hubby to arrive at 9.  Then I suspect you saved them again while the two of you go to breakfast at 9.  

I realize all chair hogs do this, but I sincerely do not understand how anyone can honestly think it proper for a chair to be sitting unavailable while they are in some other dining area eating breakfast or lunch.   Seems the focus is one's own personal pleasure without regard for others.  

My suggestion, which I doubt will get far, would be get rid of the 30 minute rule.  If a chair is not occupied then it is available.  Exceptions being in the pool or restroom. 

Hmmmm...   You make that sound so simple 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:33 AM, Ret MP said:

I'm not too risk-averse.  I'll use the hot tubs and pools aren't a big deal for me.  However, if I was to feel squeamish about something, it would be the public lounge chairs.  I can only imagine what has been left behind, baking in the sun, on those things that probably never get washed off other than a good rain (I've personally never observed a crew member wash with soap and water a lounger or chair, just move them around).  At least a pool/hot tub has chemicals to TRY to manage the harmful bacteria.  Yes, I realize that many people put their towel(s) down on the lounger before using it.  But, there are many people and kids that don't.  Having said all that, we live in a harmful world, but, we need to live our own lives and accept the risks or not.  I'm going through a skin cancer thing right now, I know what caused it.  I'm having surgery in a couple of weeks.  I'll go right back to what I've always done, no change.  

Exactly. And during Covid at resorts each lounge chair had to be disinfected as people left before someone else could use it. Not a bad precaution.