Dogs on the ship

Travelingwithstyle

43 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Men's flip-flops with socks only if worn with a garters, (AKA suspenders). If  topped with a fedora this would be suitable for the dinning room. 

You are so right! A top hat would be even better...

I’m trying to imagine wearing socks with flip flops. Wouldn’t the sock get all bunched up between your toes?

Now, Birkenstocks with socks, that’s my basic winter footwear around the house — wool socks with loud patterns because they cheer me up. And because I don’t look dorky enough already. In the summer I lose the socks but keep the Birkies. 

Hey, when your feet are as flat as mine, you wear whatever works.

Surely somehow we can work dogs back into this discussion …

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I’m trying to imagine wearing socks with flip flops. Wouldn’t the sock get all bunched up between your toes?

Now, Birkenstocks with socks, that’s my basic winter footwear around the house — wool socks with loud patterns because they cheer me up. And because I don’t look dorky enough already. In the summer I lose the socks but keep the Birkies. 

Hey, when your feet are as flat as mine, you wear whatever works.

Surely somehow we can work dogs back into this discussion …

Well my dog pinches my thongs when he can, so I can’t go out.

• Haha 3

This thread has taken a fun turn… Wearing socks with sandals, thongs, flip-flops, etc. should be considered a fashion violation with the following sanctions. 
First violation: Verbal warning or intervention by friends (friends should not let friends wear socks with sandals).

Second violation: Individual should be confined to their cabin for a 24 hour period and required to read through a men’s fashion magazine. From personal observations it is oblivious that men are by far the primary violators of this fashion faux pas. 
Third violation: The offending scandals should be confiscated and returned to the fashionably impaired on the final night of the cruise like duty-free purchases. 

• Haha 2

I can't post a picture of what a thong is in the UK, the moderators will remove it as not being in the family friendly guidelines. 

Suffice to say it's a garment with a string like back bit that doesn't cover the nether regions

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

They’re called thongs (in line with previous posts about “fits”)

We in the US used to call them thongs also.  When did we switch to flip flops?  The Jimmy Buffet song? Blew out my flip flop.  Stepped on a pop top.  Thong just wouldn't work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

We in the US used to call them thongs also.  When did we switch to flip flops?  The Jimmy Buffet song? Blew out my flip flop.  Stepped on a pop top.  Thong just wouldn't work.

Born and raised in Miami, Florida and we always called them Zoris (pronounced Zorees).  Never called them Flip Flops until after I heard the Jimmy Buffet song (but could totally relate to the "blew out a flip flop" line because we were always pulling the toe post out of the bottom!).   And thongs were what late-teen/20-somethings wore to the beach or on a boat to get an almost-all-over-tan!

Edited by BlairsvilleCruiseGirl
Hit enter before I was done
  • Like 4

Can't remember what they are called but the Japanese have sock like things with a toe devide built in that are worn with the traditional footwear associated with kimonos. 

These are apparently acceptable for formal occaisions

2 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Can't remember what they are called but the Japanese have sock like things with a toe devide built in that are worn with the traditional footwear associated with kimonos. 

These are apparently acceptable for formal occaisions

Tabi socks.

10 minutes ago, symui said:

IMO, this thread has run it course. 

It's so far off topic.   Unfollowing

Yes, the dogs had their day and now there is not much more you can add about flip-flops.  Thread drift happens to all at some point.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes, the dogs had their day and now there is not much more you can add about flip-flops.  Thread drift happens to all at some point.

I agree. No more talk about dogs on cruises.

Let's talk about mynah birds on cruises.

Viking Newbies:

In summation: You can wear a thong (meaning determined by country of origin) to the World Cafe but not The Restaurant. Please leave the pooch at home UNLESS a trained, certified-service dog. And sorry if we can’t quote a price for sending thongs (of any kind) to the ship laundry. But it should come back within two days. OR use the free laundry machines with free thong-safe detergent.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

We should all move to the Explorers Lounge and order our libation of choice.

• Like 4