Dogs on the ship

Travelingwithstyle

I am traveling in October on a 15day transatlantic aboard the Rotterdam. I will be taking my service dog with me. I have spent a bit of time researching everything I need to do to take her with me. She has flown with me on Delta so I am using them to fly to Amsterdam. Have filed out all the required paper for HAL. The next big thing is getting all her shots up to date and then getting 10 day before departure her finial physical and send off to USDA APHIS to be certified. I have even found a pet store in Amsterdam that will deliver the dry dog food to my hotel before we sail. There is a lot that goes into taking a service dog with you on a trip like this. I understand that HAL is very good with giving a helping hand when you are traveling with a service dog.

IMG_0709.jpeg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Some of the replies to this thread are insane. Pet dogs do not belong on cruise ships. Period. Maybe there should be an exception for thoroughly trained service animals that are in service to someone with a legitimate disability.  Most of the comments and photos I see here are clearly not legitimate disability-  these are so-called “emotional support animals” in other words pets. Look at the Amazon vests. Give me a break. 

On the transatlantic cruise NCL Getaway June 2022 from Copenhagen to Port Canaveral someone brought a fake service animal on board. This was obviously not a legitimate service animal - it was jumping around and playing with children.  Eventually barking in the cabin while the owner went out alone partying. Finally after numerous complaints management moved the guy and his fraud to a remote cabin and reminded him the rules - you are not to leave the cabin without the dog. 

The next day dog defecated on the pool deck. The next day it urinated in the line in the Garden Cafe. It was on a leash with the owner both times.  I have photos of the urine puddle while the guy walking away. “Oh sorry I think we have a problem” he said while the passengers and crew stood their jaws dropped. They had to close the cafe in order to disinfect the place.

Later I demanded to speak with the officer in charge, she apologized, said it wasn’t their fault, obviously the guy conned his way in it wasn’t a real service animal but HQ makes the decision based on whatever paper ls they are sent. The most disgusting thing I have ever seen in a cruise ship - of 50 lifetime cruises! Later they sent me a $200 coupon for a future cruise - whoopdy do! 

And great point about safety- what happens when “doggo” needs to board the life boats??

Not to mention the cleaning crew working harder than ever - for less money - and now they have to clean up after dogs??? 

Cruise lines better get on top of this nonsense. People pretending to be disabled to break the dog rules. It’s disgusting and a disgrace to people with actual disabilities.

The dog worship in our culture has gotten completely out of hand.  I love cruising but this is a deal breaker. 

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, trunorth64 said:

Some of the replies to this thread are insane. Pet dogs do not belong on cruise ships. Period. Maybe there should be an exception for thoroughly trained service animals that are in service to someone with a legitimate disability.  Most of the comments and photos I see here are clearly not legitimate disability-  these are so-called “emotional support animals” in other words pets. Look at the Amazon vests. Give me a break. 

On the transatlantic cruise NCL Getaway June 2022 from Copenhagen to Port Canaveral someone brought a fake service animal on board. This was obviously not a legitimate service animal - it was jumping around and playing with children.  Eventually barking in the cabin while the owner went out alone partying. Finally after numerous complaints management moved the guy and his fraud to a remote cabin and reminded him the rules - you are not to leave the cabin without the dog. 

The next day dog defecated on the pool deck. The next day it urinated in the line in the Garden Cafe. It was on a leash with the owner both times.  I have photos of the urine puddle while the guy walking away. “Oh sorry I think we have a problem” he said while the passengers and crew stood their jaws dropped. They had to close the cafe in order to disinfect the place.

Later I demanded to speak with the officer in charge, she apologized, said it wasn’t their fault, obviously the guy conned his way in it wasn’t a real service animal but HQ makes the decision based on whatever paper ls they are sent. The most disgusting thing I have ever seen in a cruise ship - of 50 lifetime cruises! Later they sent me a $200 coupon for a future cruise - whoopdy do! 

And great point about safety- what happens when “doggo” needs to board the life boats??

Not to mention the cleaning crew working harder than ever - for less money - and now they have to clean up after dogs??? 

Cruise lines better get on top of this nonsense. People pretending to be disabled to break the dog rules. It’s disgusting and a disgrace to people with actual disabilities.

The dog worship in our culture has gotten completely out of hand.  I love cruising but this is a deal breaker. 

Our problem is how the ADA has been written. There is only two question you can ask someone with a service dog. But if the dog does not act appropriate in public the dog and the owner can be asked to leave.

(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?

(2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

I have a service dog and she has been trained. But I she has had an accident and I had to clean up after her.  I have an up coming transatlantic cruise coming in October. We are flying into Amsterdam and they state that if your dog does have an accident you must clean up after the dog. They do not have animal relief stations in there airport. I got to get her to some grass as soon as I can.  Before the big trip I sent her for some refresher training. She is currently has her AKC Canine Good Citizen and we are going to test this summer to get her the Community Canine Good Citizen and the Urban Carine Good Citizen. I am working now with a organization "American Service Dog Access Coalition". They working on a certification based on public accommodation. It will be called Service Dog Pass. United Airlines is using it now. The dog will be required to tested based around the AKC Canine Good Citizen program.

I just got back from a sales meeting and I had my service dog with me. I was having breakfast and a very large Germany Shepherd came through the lobby and started barking loudly after seeing my dog with me. The dog was pull and the owner was struggling to hold the dog back. This is was I am afraid of.

I was going to depart on a different cruise departing out of South Hampton UK. The UK is tough regarding the dog having credentials. After I get my service dog tested completely and certified though the AKC Canine Good Citizen program I will fell comfortable traveling with her to the UK.

Just now, Rudi-Cruiser said:

Our problem is how the ADA has been written. There is only two question you can ask someone with a service dog. But if the dog does not act appropriate in public the dog and the owner can be asked to leave.

(1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?

(2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?

I have a service dog and she has been trained. But I she has had an accident and I had to clean up after her.  I have an up coming transatlantic cruise coming in October. We are flying into Amsterdam and they state that if your dog does have an accident you must clean up after the dog. They do not have animal relief stations in there airport. I got to get her to some grass as soon as I can.  Before the big trip I sent her for some refresher training. She is currently has her AKC Canine Good Citizen and we are going to test this summer to get her the Community Canine Good Citizen and the Urban Carine Good Citizen. I am working now with a organization "American Service Dog Access Coalition". They working on a certification based on public accommodation. It will be called Service Dog Pass. United Airlines is using it now. The dog will be required to tested based around the AKC Canine Good Citizen program.

I just got back from a sales meeting and I had my service dog with me. I was having breakfast and a very large Germany Shepherd came through the lobby and started barking loudly after seeing my dog with me. The dog was pull and the owner was struggling to hold the dog back. This is was I am afraid of.

I was going to depart on a different cruise departing out of South Hampton UK. The UK is tough regarding the dog having credentials. After I get my service dog tested completely and certified though the AKC Canine Good Citizen program I will fell comfortable traveling with her to the UK.

IMG_0709.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Rudi-Cruiser said:

IMG_0709.jpeg

This is what the ADA requirement are. Most of the US based cruise line Carnival Corp, RCCI, NCI etc must meeting these standards. Remember not all disabilities are visible. See link below to the US Government site for ADA requirements for service animals. 

https://www.ada.gov/topics/service-animals/

13 hours ago, Rudi-Cruiser said:

This is what the ADA requirement are. Most of the US based cruise line Carnival Corp, RCCI, NCI etc must meeting these standards. Remember not all disabilities are visible. See link below to the US Government site for ADA requirements for service animals. 

https://www.ada.gov/topics/service-animals/

Just a reminder of what I have posted on this thread, and others, that not all requirements of the ADA apply to foreign flag cruise ships.  SCOTUS, in Spector v NCL, ruled that the "internal policies and procedures" of the ship do not fall under the jurisdiction of the ADA, so specific policies regarding service animals, once onboard, are up to the cruise line's decision.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, jasardeax said:

There will be no problem getting very good grass In Amsterdam. 

Rudi-cruiser brings up a good point regarding the lack of relief areas in airports. At times we have had no availability to any form of a relief area in airports. I've nearly missed flights attempting to leave security areas to go outside and search for dirt or grass, to no avail. 

Also the concerns over uncontrolled dogs being a danger to our dogs, is a real issue. 

As a sidenote, I just got off a flight hours ago and while waiting to change flights in Seattle, we heard one mad cat yowling loudly at a gate. I don't know that I have ever heard such a loud cat. I was wondering if that continued during their flight. 

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Just a reminder of what I have posted on this thread, and others, that not all requirements of the ADA apply to foreign flag cruise ships.  SCOTUS, in Spector v NCL, ruled that the "internal policies and procedures" of the ship do not fall under the jurisdiction of the ADA, so specific policies regarding service animals, once onboard, are up to the cruise line's decision.

I will be on Holland America and they only asked me the two questions. Remember that HML is part of a US corporation and they are trying to be good citizens. I do agree that once you are on board the captain does have the last word. I was only pointing out that most cruise companies that parent company is US based do follow ADA for accessibility. Service Animals do fall under those regulation. HAL did tell me I could be denied boarding if they thought there was a problem with my service animal.

HAL had a celebration for a service dog who had sailed on more than 50 cruises with its owner.

I would try to stay away from a cruise that had a lot of kids off all ages onboard or it was one of the mega cruise ship. I just don't want to subject her to that many people. She went with me to both Disneyland and Universal. Thank goodness I could use the express lines with her so I didn't have to subject her to all the people moving in those lines. I have problem with about 30% of the people who not give her space and want to come up and pet her. I don't think they can see or read the vest she has on.

41 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

Rudi-Cruiser, I think you previously mentioned you have a UK port on your itinerary, I’m curious to know what the rules are for your dog getting off the ship.

I had a UK friend check on it for me and they got me this PDF from the UK Government regarding Cruise Companies who are registered to transport assistance dogs. I was told if my ship was on this list we could disembark.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/travel-with-assistance-dogs-transport-companies-and-routes/ferry-and-cruise-companies-registered-to-transport-assistance-dogs

Ferry and cruise companies registered to transport assistance dogs - GOV.UK.pdf

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rudi-Cruiser said:

I had a UK friend check on it for me and they got me this PDF from the UK Government regarding Cruise Companies who are registered to transport assistance dogs. I was told if my ship was on this list we could disembark.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/travel-with-assistance-dogs-transport-companies-and-routes/ferry-and-cruise-companies-registered-to-transport-assistance-dogs

Ferry and cruise companies registered to transport assistance dogs - GOV.UK.pdf 271.16 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks, that’s very useful.

17 hours ago, Rudi-Cruiser said:

I will be on Holland America and they only asked me the two questions. Remember that HML is part of a US corporation and they are trying to be good citizens. I do agree that once you are on board the captain does have the last word. I was only pointing out that most cruise companies that parent company is US based do follow ADA for accessibility. Service Animals do fall under those regulation. HAL did tell me I could be denied boarding if they thought there was a problem with my service animal.

While HAL is a US corporation, the ship itself is the entity that offers the accommodation, and therefore the entity that has to meet the ADA, to a degree.  All cruise lines that offer cruises out of the US are required to meet ADA regulations, with regards to accessible cabins, and non-discrimination for them, and to allow service dogs.  However, as I've said, and SCOTUS ruled, "internal policies and procedures" for service dogs while onboard are at the cruise line's discretion (i.e., they could deny a service dog in certain areas of the ship (even if that violated the ADA in the US), or other policies like a "service dog code of conduct" that may be different from the DOJ's rules for service dogs).  I was an ADA compliance officer on a cruise ship that transitioned from foreign flag (sailing out of US ports) to a US flag (fully compliant) ship.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I did not read every post, but I have a couple of questions.  How many Emotional Support Animals can you bring?  Do they have to be dogs,  or can you bring EMUs, BOAs, and cats?  Asking for a friend 🙂 

Is your friend Dr. Doolittle? 😂

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I did not read every post, but I have a couple of questions.  How many Emotional Support Animals can you bring?  Do they have to be dogs,  or can you bring EMUs, BOAs, and cats?  Asking for a friend 🙂 

I know that a cruiser had two support dogs, both the same breed. Crystal allowed her to take one but not both. 

Other guests were not happy about the dog at the pool. I can’t remember … could the guest have allowed the dog to actually go INTO the pool? I have to say yuck to that.

• Like 2

If a person is so fragile as to be unable to leave the house without their emotional support animal it is my opinion they should probably consider staying home.  Lots of scary stuff out there in the world....Again, just one person's opinion.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, May B said:

I know that a cruiser had two support dogs, both the same breed. Crystal allowed her to take one but not both. 

Other guests were not happy about the dog at the pool. I can’t remember … could the guest have allowed the dog to actually go INTO the pool? I have to say yuck to that.

The only animals that most cruise line will allow on board is a Service Dog (Assistance Animal) that meets the requirement of performing physical assistance or medical alert to their person. They must be trained to behave in public surroundings. My dog has based both the basic AKC Canine Good Citizen and the Urban Canine Good Citizen which is test around public accommodation.

On 5/25/2023 at 3:01 PM, trunorth64 said:

I couldnt agree with you more!  Its almost always BS.  I will be pissed if I am on a cruise and someone brought their dog.  If you cannot handle being away from your dog, stay home!

• Like 11

17 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

NO emotional support animals aka pets.  If you can't handle it stay home  The rest of us did not pay $$$ to put up with this nonsense!

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, purpleally said:

NO emotional support animals aka pets.  If you can't handle it stay home  The rest of us did not pay $$$ to put up with this nonsense!

ADA has added PTSD to the list of disabilities that is covered. This is for veterans who have unseen disabilities. I would not like to be the one who would complain about them traveling with a service dog.

The dog can calm down someone who could have a episode caused by there PTSD. There are quite a few group who are training dog to be certified service dog for vets.

• Like 1

@purpleally while I acknowledge many of these animals are simply pets, I have been around 2 dogs that are trained and certified support .  One is for a vet who was physically and mentally damaged.  These dogs are on duty when I am around them and when the harness is on, the are working.

You do a grave injustice by your blanket statement 

• Thanks 1