Britannia currently assisting search and rescue mission!

welshy74

It seems Britannia, originally scheduled to dock in Antigua, is now assisting a search and rescue operation for a capsized vessel.    Anyone on Britannia right now that can give an update?

Also, they sadly lost a male passenger in a snorkelling accident yesterday.   Very sad end to her 22/23 Caribbean season. 

29 minutes ago, welshy74 said:

It seems Britannia, originally scheduled to dock in Antigua, is now assisting a search and rescue operation for a capsized vessel.    Anyone on Britannia right now that can give an update?

Also, they sadly lost a male passenger in a snorkelling accident yesterday.   Very sad end to her 22/23 Caribbean season. 

Very sad, but I’m not convinced the 2nd paragraph ought to be posted here yet, in case non involved relatives start to worry. How do we know all relatives have been informed? Could you modify? 

35 minutes ago, welshy74 said:

Really sad on both counts. My OH mentioned the snorkelling incident earlier today when it was first reported on various online news reports as a coworker is on Britannia at the moment. 

Please DON'T report fatalities or accidents onboard! My friend and I were on a Caribbean transatlantic on Azura a few years ago where there was a road accident on a shore excursion with one fatality and several serious injuries. It appeared on social media and my friend's mother, due to the 5 hour time difference, was absolutely hysterical with fear until we said "S**d the time diff, and phoned her direct.

Relatives can be caused severe distress when things get out on social media before official information is given to families.

• Like 1

The incident regarding the Britannia passenger  is not something that has ‘got out’ on social media. It is being reported by several news outlets. Any concerned relatives are much more likely to see it in the news than on this rather obscure cruise forum 

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The incident regarding the Britannia passenger  is not something that has ‘got out’ on social media. It is being reported by several news outlets. Any concerned relatives are much more likely to see it in the news than on this rather obscure cruise forum 

Exactly. Well said

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Very sad, but I’m not convinced the 2nd paragraph ought to be posted here yet, in case non involved relatives start to worry. How do we know all relatives have been informed? Could you modify? 

It’s all over the news! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

It might be nothing to do with anybody on the ship.  More likely to be a yacht or similar.

The snorkelling fatality was indeed a Britannia passenger.  
the capsized vessel was apparently an overcrowded boat.