OK, I'll bite (pun intended): what's a premium dessert?

pcur

I noticed in my Princess Plus add-on to my Alaska cruise this May an item called "Premium Desserts, 2 per day".  What is different about them, and do they make you scan/swipe your medallion to prove you are worthy of this uplifted culinary experience?  

(Of course my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek. I'm not even a big dessert eater, but maybe I'm wrong if it's "premium".)

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

I noticed in my Princess Plus add-on to my Alaska cruise this May an item called "Premium Desserts, 2 per day".  What is different about them, and do they make you scan/swipe your medallion to prove you are worthy of this uplifted culinary experience?  

(Of course my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek. I'm not even a big dessert eater, but maybe I'm wrong if it's "premium".)

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I hope that this works.  I don't even know what to say about these except that if I tried to eat 2 of them in a day I'd probably explode.  They look...not appetizing for my tastes.  

image.png.a8cda5fe9e6fa8cf63387533d9cf55e6.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, everyone.  I expect if there's a hot fudge sundae in the mix, I would have 2 in a week.  I agree that two of those pictured would not work for me, either.

I'll go look at the other threads.

10 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Ice cream isn't included?

Yes, regular ice cream cones are available free on the Lido Deck, and included on the dessert menu in the dining room. There is usually a charge for Gelato. I have read on CC that it is free if you have the Princess Plus or Premium package.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

Yes, regular ice cream cones are available free on the Lido Deck, and included on the dessert menu in the dining room. There is usually a charge for Gelato. I have read on CC that it is free if you have the Princess Plus or Premium package.

Okay. That's good to know

On 3/28/2023 at 1:58 PM, Tiggerontheseas said:

So... which one pictured is called "a heart attack"?

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I hope that this works.  I don't even know what to say about these except that if I tried to eat 2 of them in a day I'd probably explode.  They look...not appetizing for my tastes.  

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2023 at 4:58 PM, Tiggerontheseas said:

My cavities just got diaBEETUS.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 2:58 PM, Tiggerontheseas said:

They look...not appetizing for my tastes.  

Nor to mine. I was expecting something fancy and refined, not what appears to be ice cream with a lot of tacky candy and lollipops sticking out all over the place.

The «Premium» package includes unlimited offerings of these desserts. I doubt whether I'd ever have one at all, never mind two—or more—per day. I have to wonder about anyone who would be enticed by the chance to have unlimited servings of these things.

What a waste. It took them so long to make and they didn’t have the correct topping as pictured. If you are a child you might like the added lollipop but for most of us it’s tooooooo much added sugar for our A1C.

I wouldn’t do the Premiumm Package again. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

premium-desserts-ice-cream-cups:16x9?ts=No idea if this is new info, or just a different picture, but the princess site now has this picture of the premium desserts:

....which is different from the ones in the tall slim glasses I've seen before....

Edited by nwnittany
picture didn't post as I intended...

1 hour ago, nwnittany said:

premium-desserts-ice-cream-cups:16x9?ts=No idea if this is new info, or just a different picture, but the princess site now has this picture of the premium desserts:

....which is different from the ones in the tall slim glasses I've seen before....

We just tried a few bites of one on the Discovery, it was in a tall, big parfait glass.  I saw that pic before we sailed too but definitely not that size.  

Wife and I shared one on the Royal the other day.  That's the only one either of us will have in a lifetime.  Two a day with Princess Plus?  Or buy Premier so we can have an unlimited number of them per day?

Uh...No.

The idea that Princess is trying to justify the Premier package by pointing out that you can have more than two of these per day by buying the Premier package is simply silly.  It's an empty benefit.

I should point out that a lot of the chocolate is on the outside of the glass and is neither removable nor edible. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 6:20 PM, pcur said:

Thank you, everyone.  I expect if there's a hot fudge sundae in the mix, I would have 2 in a week.  I agree that two of those pictured would not work for me, either.

I'll go look at the other threads.

Honestly, if get rid of most of the stuff on the top, you will end up with 3 scoops of vanilla gelato and either chocolate sauce or caramel sauce. Not bad at all. Nothing outside the glass is eatable, it is just a decoration. 

2 hours ago, trin880 said:

Nothing outside the glass is eatable, it is just a decoration. 

According to a waiter I spoke with the other day, if you're in the Caribbean, it's a decoration now and a sticky puddle on the table shortly thereafter.

• Haha 2

On 4/26/2023 at 5:36 AM, shorne said:

Nor to mine. I was expecting something fancy and refined, not what appears to be ice cream with a lot of tacky candy and lollipops sticking out all over the place.

The «Premium» package includes unlimited offerings of these desserts. I doubt whether I'd ever have one at all, never mind two—or more—per day. I have to wonder about anyone who would be enticed by the chance to have unlimited servings of these things.

We tried one between the two of us on our last cruise, we didn’t finish it and didn’t order another, so that was 27 premium desserts that never got touched, this needs binning as a perk for something more enticing to 99% of cruisers.