Bid to upgrade being rolled out

Cathygh

We're on Arvia end of the month and had email giving us a free upgrade.

We booked a window cabin so I got excited when I saw it thinking we'd been moved to a balcony. Alas it was another window cabin on the same deck but just a different location further back 🤦‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Mad4WDW said:

We're on Arvia end of the month and had email giving us a free upgrade.

We booked a window cabin so I got excited when I saw it thinking we'd been moved to a balcony. Alas it was another window cabin on the same deck but just a different location further back 🤦‍♂️

What a let down! Makes you wonder why they even bother. I would only consider an upgrade to be a move to a different type of cabin, for instance, as you say, outside to balcony.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

What a let down! Makes you wonder why they even bother. I would only consider an upgrade to be a move to a different type of cabin, for instance, as you say, outside to balcony.  

Yep, seems pointless doesnt it. There must be some logic to it, they're probably just moving people from cabins they can sell again easier. We've had this happen on probably 5 or more cruises this past 12 months

We had our upgrade email today for our Britannia cruise end of June. 

The main reason we booked select fare was to choose where we wanted to be on the ship. 

I'm sure this has been answered before, but am I right in thinking if we chose to upgrade, the cabin would be allocated by P&O?

If so, absolutely no use to us, wouldn't want to risk being above the nightclub or below the pool decks etc... 

If the upgrades are offered to saver fare cruisers, then I can see the attraction. 

I'm sure it works for some, just not us... 

Andy 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The main reason we booked select fare was to choose where we wanted to be on the ship. 

I'm sure this has been answered before, but am I right in thinking if we chose to upgrade, the cabin would be allocated by P&O?

If so, absolutely no use to us, wouldn't want to risk being above the nightclub or below the pool decks etc... 

If the upgrades are offered to saver fare cruisers, then I can see the attraction. 

Andy 

You are correct

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Yes, it can be anywhere of their choosing Andy. I agree that this system may be of use to those on Savers, but is far less attractive to those booking Select, for the reasons you mention. 

• Like 3

I have no idea how this will work on P&O, as this is our first cruise with them.  However, I have a fair amount of experience with. Royal Caribbean’s Royal Up.  We’ve bid and won an upgrade to a Junior Suite from a balcony on a few occasions.  

• 2 weeks later...

Both myself and my family members are booked on the same cruise, both received the upgrade bid email. 

I’m currently in a single room inside and can bid £110 for an outside single room, no other options. 

Family members are in an inside standard and can bid for window, balcony or suite. 

It seems strange that they’d still charge me 200% to upgrade as they said rooms are based on two people, when I’ve got a single bed in my room. 

If I’m paying 200% surely I should be able to bid for balconies etc, but only have the option for an outside single room. 

They have been doing this on royal for a while. Bid if you want but remember you can be put anywhere on the room type you bid for. Loads of people complain after winning a bid. Some ger lucky but they way i see it the rooms they will upgrade you too are prob unwanted rooms that they cant sell. Its kinda fun when you do it but also a little risky

15 hours ago, Landon90 said:

Both myself and my family members are booked on the same cruise, both received the upgrade bid email. 

I’m currently in a single room inside and can bid £110 for an outside single room, no other options. 

Family members are in an inside standard and can bid for window, balcony or suite. 

It seems strange that they’d still charge me 200% to upgrade as they said rooms are based on two people, when I’ve got a single bed in my room. 

If I’m paying 200% surely I should be able to bid for balconies etc, but only have the option for an outside single room. 

I'm not batting on behalf of P&O but maybe as you are in a single cabin you are only able to bid for an upgrade to another single and perhaps the only availability for single cabins is an outside?

I sail only the two smallest ships and usually it is as cheap to book a double for sole occupancy.

5 hours ago, Britboys said:

I'm not batting on behalf of P&O but maybe as you are in a single cabin you are only able to bid for an upgrade to another single and perhaps the only availability for single cabins is an outside?

I sail only the two smallest ships and usually it is as cheap to book a double for sole occupancy.

Makes sense but then surely the upgrade fee should be 100% and not 200%, as a single cabin can’t be based on two people sharing. 

My own fault though - it was £950 for a single and £1050 for a standard double - should have paid the extra £100. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Landon90 said:

Makes sense but then surely the upgrade fee should be 100% and not 200%, as a single cabin can’t be based on two people sharing. 

My own fault though - it was £950 for a single and £1050 for a standard double - should have paid the extra £100. 

I believe Moley stated somewhere that single to single should only be one fee.

Mind you looking at how many cruises are showing inside cabins unavailable there's either been a stampede of people taking them because they are being offered at silly money or lots of people are planning on trying their luck.

24 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I believe Moley stated somewhere that single to single should only be one fee.

Mind you looking at how many cruises are showing inside cabins unavailable there's either been a stampede of people taking them because they are being offered at silly money or lots of people are planning on trying their luck.

Interesting, thanks. Single to single makes sense if it’s just one fee. I’ll send P&O a message on Twitter as I’m happy to pay £110 to move to an outside window single, but £220 probably not. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Landon90 said:

I suspect this will be one of many glitches that the IT system will have thrown at this new system. If you could get someone, senior enough, and intelligent enough to appreciate this is lunacy, then you might get this amended.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I suspect this will be one of many glitches that the IT system will have thrown at this new system. If you could get someone, senior enough, and intelligent enough to appreciate this is lunacy, then you might get this amended.

and there, of course, lies the problem!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Landon90 said:

Completely agree. As you have said, worth contacting P&O about this...

P&O Twitter haven’t replied - I tried calling them and the agent wasn’t sure if it was 100% or 200% for single to single rooms. 

I’m half tempted to put through the £110 offer and deal with them if they even accept it and then quote £220. 

9 minutes ago, Landon90 said:

P&O Twitter haven’t replied - I tried calling them and the agent wasn’t sure if it was 100% or 200% for single to single rooms. 

I’m half tempted to put through the £110 offer and deal with them if they even accept it and then quote £220. 

I’d urge caution. If I recall correctly, once you bid you are committed, so you can’t then pull out if they say it’s £220. 

I would suggest this is likely another misleading P&O advertising gimmick. Given that their policy is to reduce the price of unsold cabins near the cruise embarkation date to rock bottom, I would have thought that there would not be any left to upgrade to? But if they sell you the original cruise on the basis an upgrade is a possibility it might make someone book on the off chance....

1 hour ago, Grimsby Mariner said:

I would suggest this is likely another misleading P&O advertising gimmick. Given that their policy is to reduce the price of unsold cabins near the cruise embarkation date to rock bottom, I would have thought that there would not be any left to upgrade to? But if they sell you the original cruise on the basis an upgrade is a possibility it might make someone book on the off chance....

As someone who has been/booked 5 cruises in the last 10 months, 3 of them being a week before I travel, I wouldn’t say they drop them down to rock bottom prices near embarkment.  

I see this upgrade programme as a bonus for a certain group like myself who don’t care where

there cabin is located and see any upgrade as a bonus. 

—-

P&O have asked for screenshots of my upgrade page, they’re still not given an answer regarding whether a single to single room upgrade is 100% or 200%. Will post back here when they decide. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Landon90 said:

As someone who has been/booked 5 cruises in the last 10 months, 3 of them being a week before I travel, I wouldn’t say they drop them down to rock bottom prices near embarkment.  

I see this upgrade programme as a bonus for a certain group like myself who don’t care where

there cabin is located and see any upgrade as a bonus. 

—-

P&O have asked for screenshots of my upgrade page, they’re still not given an answer regarding whether a single to single room upgrade is 100% or 200%. Will post back here when they decide. 

The week before may not be the lowest price, as most cabins are secured by then, even for Savers. From our most recent experience, the week after balance due date can be a good time to book. Seems like some people who book with very small deposits just let them lapse and don’t pay the balance. As an example, Accessible balcony cabins are usually difficult to secure. We tried twice before balance due date and nothing available. The week after balance due date a choice of two and a very keen price.  

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The week before may not be the lowest price, as most cabins are secured by then, even for Savers. From our most recent experience, the week after balance due date can be a good time to book. Seems like some people who book with very small deposits just let them lapse and don’t pay the balance. As an example, Accessible balcony cabins are usually difficult to secure. We tried twice before balance due date and nothing available. The week after balance due date a choice of two and a very keen price.  

I’m just browsing the cruises going in the next few weeks - Arcadia for 16 nights around Northern Europe leaving on Tuesday - £799 for a solo traveller in an inside standard, £899 for window standards. That is a bargain. Haven’t seen many cruises that don’t have a single person supplement recently apart from this one. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Landon90 said:

I’m just browsing the cruises going in the next few weeks - Arcadia for 16 nights around Northern Europe leaving on Tuesday - £799 for a solo traveller in an inside standard, £899 for window standards. That is a bargain. Haven’t seen many cruises that don’t have a single person supplement recently apart from this one. 

It's cheap because of the Coronation apparently. Most of the passengers who sail Arcadia/Aurora don't wish to miss it - at least that's what P&O told me when I asked what the catch was!

• Like 2