Clothes for a cruise ex Boston to Iceland/Greenland / Canada

lissie

We have a 25 day cruise out of Boston late July / August. 5 ports in Iceland, 2 in Greenland, 2 in the US and the rest are in Canada, 

Obviously, we are bringing layers, hats, gloves, waterproof jackets. But I can't decide whether it's worth bringing waterproof trousers - I always find them uncomfortable to wear. I have trousers that will dry quickly. 

Edited by lissie

Expect rain every day in Iceland and you won't be disappointed.  We've been there 31 days so far and have had at least some rain on 20-22 of those days.  Some days just showers. 2 or 3 it poured all day.

Umbrellas won't help there.

Temps in summer when you are visiting should be a low in the 40s overnight, day time in the 50s into the 60s. Might hit 70 if you are lucky.

• Like 2

We were on a VO cruise around Iceland in 2021 along with renting a car for the week after. We did carry rain pants with us but never used them as the weather basically cooperated.  Only two days out of the fifteen that we were there did we experience the noted Iceland "sideways" rain, but those were days when we were driving. You probably won't need them for rain but they do offer protection from the wind as well. And it is windy most of the time!

• Like 1

@lissie, my family of four did a similar HAL itinerary RT Boston in August 2022.

My advice is to consider how you personally respond to bad weather on other vacations.

For me, if I have a limited time somewhere, I will put on all the rain gear and take a walk, do a tour, etc., even if it is wet weather. Then again, I'm from Oregon where waiting for a dry day would mean staying home all winter.

I recall specifically that I wore my waterproof trousers several times on our August 2022 cruise, including one day that I walked around on shore (Seyðisfjörður, Iceland) alone while DH and the teens stayed dry on the ship. That was a drizzy, miserable day of weather, but I still enjoyed time there because I was dressed for the conditions. I definitely appreciated them in Qaqortoq, Greenland, as well, as I visited the Hvalsey Church ruins (round trip from the port by small boat.)

We had exceptionally good weather compared to the rest of the summer of 2022, too. Locals commented on our luck with good weather in multiple ports.

Waterproof trousers offer a way to increase the warmth of the legs without having to change an entire outfit. I also bring thin silk thermal underwear on trips, but I have to find a large-ish public restroom to remove the leggings at midday since I'm not an exhibitionist.

For me, layering options are very valuable. I have arthritis which feels worse when my joints get cold.

On another shore excursion that required a small boat to get from the cruise ship to the location (Ísafjörður, Iceland to the abandoned village of Hesteyri), only because I had a full set of rain gear was I *tolerably* comfortable staying out on deck for that 45 minute trip. (I still got quite cold, and there was tons of spray off the sea.) I appreciated those beautiful views, but was chilly; some people stayed inside the cabin of the small boat with fogged up, spray-covered windows. Those people missed seeing some whales en route that we could see from outside.

Many people on our cruise did not need waterproofs. I could have enjoyed my trip without mine, but not as much as I did having them. I carried them in my daypack virtually all the time, and I used them pretty often, and they made me more comfortable.

So, if you really hate wearing your over-trousers, maybe you could try thermal underwear instead? But I would hesitate to suggest visiting these ports without layers to add/remove during the day, and, for me, I would have been *miserable* without an option for a little more warmth on the legs, not just the torso and extremities.

I hope that helps! 🙂

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 2:22 AM, Nitemare said:

Expect rain every day in Iceland and you won't be disappointed.  We've been there 31 days so far and have had at least some rain on 20-22 of those days.  Some days just showers. 2 or 3 it poured all day.

Umbrellas won't help there.

Temps in summer when you are visiting should be a low in the 40s overnight, day time in the 50s into the 60s. Might hit 70 if you are lucky.

Idon't own an umbrella - we live in "windy wellington" - there is no point in an umbrella when the rain is sideways. The temps sound like a bad summer at home too - so I'm familiar with it! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, willoL said:

So, if you really hate wearing your over-trousers, maybe you could try thermal underwear instead? But I would hesitate to suggest visiting these ports without layers to add/remove during the day, and, for me, I would have been *miserable* without an option for a little more warmth on the legs, not just the torso and extremities.

I hope that helps! 🙂

Oh I'm bringing merino leggings and under layers without a doubt.  I need to have something for a snorkel adventure in Iceland (dry suits) - but I also use them to convert  a lightweight pair of trousers to warm ones. 

Funny you should mention it though - before anyone used waterproofs hiking - I was a geologist in the 80s and we routinely wore shorts only. Down to around sleet /snow then you may put on wool underwear. The theory was that your legs dry faster than any fabric. Now we have decent thermal fabrics  if the weather is as described my instinct would be to wear merino leggings and lightweight shorts - but i I wasn't shore that the rest of the world was ready for this traditional NZ bush look. 

• Like 3

Off subject but, seeing as Canada was mentioned, I'll share a conversation we had with Americans from one of the southern states.  When they found out we were from Toronto the wife had no clue where that was.  Her husband's reply was "they live close to the Arctic Circle".  The wife then suggested we must buy all our "warm weather clothing" online!  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Senga said:

Off subject but, seeing as Canada was mentioned, I'll share a conversation we had with Americans from one of the southern states.  When they found out we were from Toronto the wife had no clue where that was.  Her husband's reply was "they live close to the Arctic Circle".  The wife then suggested we must buy all our "warm weather clothing" online!  

Haha 

I lived in Vancouver back in the 80s - the Candian/USA  dynamic was quite a lot like the Australia/NZ thing - I've always when not sure of an accent ask if the  person is from Canada - Americans just correct you and are slightly confused, and if you're right the Canadian will love you.  Doing it the other way around - not so much! 

Haven't spent the year in BC and Vancouver I decided to get a bus across to the eat because I wanted to go right across -the bus went as far as Quebec - I figured it wouldn't be that much further to Newfoundland.... obviously I never got to Newfoundland. Plus this was in late December - I hopped off the bus in Banff - without doing up my jacket - and with my gloves andhat in my zipped  pack...  I literally had no clue how much colder the rest of Canada was compared to BC!  

We have a month in Canada post cruise excited to see Quebec without the snow and also the Rockies!  And on the cruise, I'll finally get to Newfoundland LOL 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, lissie said:

We have a month in Canada post cruise excited to see Quebec without the snow and also the Rockies!  And on the cruise, I'll finally get to Newfoundland LOL 

I'm sure you'll love Newfoundland and, as they like to say, July is the ONLY time to visit.  We went in May and it was awesome to see the HUGE icebergs.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

You might want to consider taking a head net with you to wear in Icelandic and Greenlandic ports if the flies are out in force.  They don't bite but can be a nuisance.

Several discussions about them on this earlier thread which you might find helpful to read.  It doesn't start off that way, but stick with it for helpful info.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2812546-qaqortoq-greenland/#comments

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

In Iceland, we actually used our waterproof shell pants most often around waterfalls. With the high winds, the water was never all going down, so we’d put on our rain gear to stay dry while we enjoyed the views.

For us, we were doing a long driving tour around the country, so the prospect of wet clothing during long drives to our next stops was a deciding factor. If you just have normal days in port with a return to the ship coming not long after, it’s not as big an issue. Especially if you hate waterproof gear and don’t mind being damp.

However, I would strongly recommend a pair of waterproof hiking shoes if you’re doing much exploring. Shoes can take ages to dry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edinburgher said:

You might want to consider taking a head net with you to wear in Icelandic and Greenlandic ports if the flies are out in force.  They don't bite but can be a nuisance.

Several discussions about them on this earlier thread which you might find helpful to read.  It doesn't start off that way, but stick with it for helpful info.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2812546-qaqortoq-greenland/#comments

Its #1 on my list - still have them from when we   drove 6 months around Australia! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

In Iceland, we actually used our waterproof shell pants most often around waterfalls. With the high winds, the water was never all going down, so we’d put on our rain gear to stay dry while we enjoyed the views.

For us, we were doing a long driving tour around the country, so the prospect of wet clothing during long drives to our next stops was a deciding factor. If you just have normal days in port with a return to the ship coming not long after, it’s not as big an issue. Especially if you hate waterproof gear and don’t mind being damp.

However, I would strongly recommend a pair of waterproof hiking shoes if you’re doing much exploring. Shoes can take ages to dry.

Yes I hear you about shoes - we are going to bring a pair of waterproof shoes with us / light hikers - partly because the soles are quite thick and warm too - just pain to have to wear them on the flights. 

Last August I wore thin silk underwear under hiking pants in Iceland.  The silk kept my legs warm and the hiking pants dried very quickly.  One day in northern Iceland it rained all day, well only when we were off the tour bus - it cleared up every time we got back on the bus!  The silk never was too hot, even indoors at a restaurant, so I didn't worry about taking them off midday.  I thought about waterproof pants, but I was doing carry-on only for a month trip to cold Iceland and hot France and they didn't make the cut.  

It worked for me, especially at waterfalls, but it probably wouldn't have been sufficient if I was going to go on an excursion in a small boat.

Edited by dd57
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/30/2023 at 11:57 AM, willoL said:

I definitely appreciated them in Qaqortoq, Greenland, as well, as I visited the Hvalsey Church ruins (round trip from the port by small boat.)

@willoL  I'm hoping you're still monitoring this thread.  I'm researching excursions in Qaqortoq, and the trip to the Hvalsey church ruins has me intrigued.  Can you offer a few thoughts about it?  Was it worth the time?  And was the boat like the one shown in the picture on the tour page, a RIB boat?  Thank you for your time!

@julie3fan I’m happy to help if I can.

Our excursion, booked via HAL, was not in a RIB boat, but rather a small boat with a tiny enclosed cabin. IIRC, one lady couldn’t get her leg up high enough to step aboard that little boat, so our group ended up ~5 people instead of 7. It would’ve been very crowded inside the cabin had that other couple actually made the trip, and probably chilly/damp if sitting on the open deck.

While we were at the Hvalsø site, the boatman just dropped us off. It was kind of magical being just a handful of quiet people experiencing the ruins. I loved those first moments best of all.

The RIB boat captured in my photo came along later. No other HAL excursion had been listed so that was either a private excursion or another ship’s offering. They were noisier than our group, and one fellow brought a drone with him. The noise from the drone (and the generally more boisterous second group) was the worst thing about the site visit. 😆 

To be fair, I hate crowds and prefer nature to tour groups on general. Certainly the excursion was well worth it to me in spite of the other tourists and obnoxious whining drone!

I went back to Greenland this August but on a smaller (expedition) ship with a full week in its waters. Hvalsø remains a top site to me, mostly because I have a passion for human history, and I adore seeing the vast range of places where people have chosen to live, exploring how they’ve adapted in each one. Helicopter excursions and landing on the ice sheet were amazing—and great fun!—but crumbling stone walls like that old church speak directly to my heart.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much, @willoL!  That is really good info.  The tour I'm looking at is offered by Sagaland Tours, and I bet that's the RIB boat you saw.

I'm sorry the tranquility was disturbed by the drone.  How incredibly selfish of that person!

Take care, and happy sailing!

• 4 months later...

Nothing ruins your mood more than being damp and wet.  We bring and wear waterproof Gortex head to toe.  Merino wool as well.  We have brought and worn these clothes when in rained cats and dogs  whether it be Newfoundland, Vancouver Island,  Singapore, Japan or England.  And will do the same for Iceland and Norway.  We wear our waterproof hiker boots onto the plane and then switch into our waterproof shoes on the plane.   When you are dry, everything is much rosier.  We also make sure that we have a baseball cap under our warm wool hat and a hood on our gortex long jacket that covers our backside.  We also make sure to bring two types of Goretex jackets.  A light one and a heavier one because wind can be your enemy.  We prize outerwear more than formal wear. Also, do not forget to make sure that your neck is cozy and waterproof gloves are also a key.  Never had an issue with uncomfortable waterproof clothing.  Yes, it might take extra effort to find the clothes that fit your body perfectly. But we do not compromise in that respect.  Comfort is key to enjoying all the beautiful scenery that awaits.