Dinner with Officers

belchro22

Here is the letter I received last week.  People dressed very casually, way more so than I’ve seen in the past.  I had packed a dress but didn’t wear it.

I would dress up a little more if the dinner was in Le Bistro or the fancier dining room but not for the casual dining room.E274C687-CD12-4DCE-B000-4D0EFB2F7616.thumb.jpeg.a00e8c7c6b64b0b2da7da32d8ebbaa9d.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Alan C said:

Is there a dress code for the DWTO?  As I will not be bringing a suit/sport coat, is business casual accepted? 

Nothing other than for the MDR.  Officers were in uniform when I went,  business casual should be fine.

I quit working years ago.  Phrases like "smart casual," "business casual," etc. have zero meaning to me.  If you tell me I have to wear pants or have a collar on my shirt; that I can understand.   Cmon' NCL, speak the language of your customers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Alan C said:

Is there a dress code for the DWTO?  As I will not be bringing a suit/sport coat, is business casual accepted? 

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I quit working years ago.  Phrases like "smart casual," "business casual," etc. have zero meaning to me.  If you tell me I have to wear pants or have a collar on my shirt; that I can understand.   Cmon' NCL, speak the language of your customers.

Just look clean and you're fine. Hubby wore shorts with a plain gray t-shirt and his "fancy" neon dragon Hawaiian shirt. Officers had uniforms and sports coats, other guests were a mix - no ties, no jackets, but still a mix of polo vs button down vs casual us.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Not enforced at all.  Our letter said Smart Casual and one woman showed up in a ragged tank top, baggy shorts and a Fanny back. 

Hmmm....this would be me. MINUS the fanny pack and it'd be a t-shirt!!

17 hours ago, Alan C said:

I usually wear a dress shirt and a sport coat.  I used to always wear a tie for DWTO, but I haven't since the return to sailing after the COVID shutdown.  Many passengers dress a bit more casually, though.  I figure that if the officers are wearing white dress shirts, neckties, and a uniform jacket, I ought to at least dress up a bit.

16 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

NCL's definition 

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-clothes-should-i-pack

Cruise Casual

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Ready for Adventure

Think about the shore excursions you'll be taking and pack accordingly, including comfy walking shoes. For kids and adults it's good to pack a pair of closed-toed shoes. You can check within the specific shore excursion for more information.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL's definition 

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-clothes-should-i-pack

Cruise Casual

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Ready for Adventure

Think about the shore excursions you'll be taking and pack accordingly, including comfy walking shoes. For kids and adults it's good to pack a pair of closed-toed shoes. You can check within the specific shore excursion for more information.

Thanks, but it would be simpler to just say pants and a shirt with some kind (any kind) of collar, since that's what it ultimately boils down to.  I've only been victimized by the fashion police once.  I tried to enter the MDR at about 9 at night just for a dessert.  This was a warm weather cruise, and I had inadvertently violated the rules one or two times previous.  I was told that I would have to change while the others sat around.  We, of course, just went somewhere else for dessert and went on with our happy cruise.😎