Bridge cams not refreshing

1emerald1

30 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

If you are a passenger, you can view the bridge cam in your stateroom. 

1.  The bridge cam is actually of limited utility to those on board. From any point on the ship you are mere feet away from being able to look outside. 

2.  (Serious question even though it will sound snarky. Not sure how else to word it.)  What do you suppose the overhead cost is of operating the bridge cams such that they are visible from the webpage?  If you think the system should be sunsetted because it does not generate revenue, what do you think the annual savings would be?  I suppose if the savings is material, then your assertion would be on the money, pun intended. 

Edited by JimmyVWine

3 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

1.  The bridge cam is actually of limited utility to those on board. From any point on the ship you are mere feet away from being able to look outside. 

2.  (Serious question even though it will sound snarky. Not sure how else to word it.)  What do you suppose the overhead cost is of operating the bride cams such that they are visible from the webpage?  If you think the system should be sunsetted because it does not generate revenue, what do you think the annual savings would be?  I suppose if the savings is material, then your assertion would be on the money, pun intended. 

It's manpower, and looks to be at the bottom of the to do list, as the IT staff is working on things that matter.  If I'm Princess, I don't want my bare bones IT staff working on anything that's not revenue related.  IT staff isn't entry level cheap pay.

Example, this has been added to Discovery this week (see screenshot). To entice people to choose that suite for the added 360 experience. 

There's port cams pretty much everywhere, people can view the ships there.  

Screenshot 2023-04-07 8.32.13 AM.png

Edited by startedwithamouse

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

IT staff isn't entry level cheap pay.

Given recent experiences, I think Princess may be challenging this assertion. 

I’m not a techie, but it seems as if the cameras are already owned and operational, having their output broadcast over the web is the easy/cheap part. I can (and do) check in on any number of YouTube Eagle Cams and Wildlife Cams run by volunteers. I doubt that IT salary overhead is an issue for them. But what do I know?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

2.  (Serious question even though it will sound snarky. Not sure how else to word it.)  What do you suppose the overhead cost is of operating the bridge cams such that they are visible from the webpage?  If you think the system should be sunsetted because it does not generate revenue, what do you think the annual savings would be?  I suppose if the savings is material, then your assertion would be on the money, pun intended. 

Or maybe webcams are going to be shown again with commercials prior to viewing?  

Onboard, prior to any movie or TV show in the stateroom, there is a commercial shown. 

Also new this week is a feature when you look at a cruise on the Princess website, you're emailed the cruise, similar to any other website, "Still interested in that cruise?" and to contact Princess. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

10 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Bet they're working on that now! 

add-on for a fee for commercial free bridge cams in PLUS and PREMIER.

somebody at Princess IT was working in 'settings' and forgot to go back in and switch back on 'auto updates' in the bridge cam app

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

add-on for a fee for commercial free bridge cams in PLUS and PREMIER

• Gratuities 

• Beverages up to $15

• Wi-fi

• 2 Premium Desserts per day

• 2 Fitness Classes

• Juice Bar

• 30 minutes of Bridge Cam viewing starting 60 days before departure. (Additional minutes available for a fee). 😁

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

• Gratuities 

• Beverages up to $15

• Wi-fi

• 2 Premium Desserts per day

• 2 Fitness Classes

• Juice Bar

• 30 minutes of Bridge Cam viewing starting 60 days before departure. (Additional minutes available for a fee). 😁

30 Minutes Plus

Unlimited Minutes Premier