Need some help about adding a perk after payment

Lreeves316

Hi everyone! Our cruise is set for June and it’s paid in full. I declined the drink package because my husband and I really aren’t big drinkers. Unfortunately, now I’m wondering if maybe we should of got it. It’s not much more than the soda package and I might get maybe a drink or two a day. Can I call to see if they could add this perk now or is it too late? Has anyone added a perk later on after final payment?

You have time to add. If you do add, the payment of the 20% service charge is due once it is added. 

A phone call should be all that is needed but make sure that a new set of documents reflecting the addition is sent to you. You don't want to leave the addition "in limbo" in a cart or anything like that. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 6:56 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

A phone call should be all that is needed but make sure that a new set of documents reflecting the addition is sent to you. You don't want to leave the addition "in limbo" in a cart or anything like that. 

Yep.  There was a one-of-a-kind report recently of a mix up while adding something to a fully paid reservation where, allegedly, the entire cruise was unilaterally cancelled by NCL.  Don't be the next.

27 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I agree with @complawyer on this.  It may be a bit less convenient, since you'll probably be asked to sign a ticket each time you place a drink order, but if you only order one or two drinks a day you will be dollars ahead by not buying a drink package.

A drink or two? While on vacation this is called breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/31/2023 at 8:48 PM, Lreeves316 said:

Hi everyone! Our cruise is set for June and it’s paid in full. I declined the drink package because my husband and I really aren’t big drinkers. Unfortunately, now I’m wondering if maybe we should of got it. It’s not much more than the soda package and I might get maybe a drink or two a day. Can I call to see if they could add this perk now or is it too late? Has anyone added a perk later on after final payment?

On 3/31/2023 at 8:48 PM, Lreeves316 said:

It is easy to add a perk.  If you booked directly with NCL, call them.  If you booked with a Travel Agent, call them.  If you paid for the soda package, it is probably worth it to move up to the drink package.  A glass of wine (or two) with dinner plus another drink during the day would probably make it worthwhile and if would definitely be easier.  No tabs to sign is the biggest plus.  Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Judy

Well, I called today but I’m going to wait a bit and call back again. I wanted to add the drink package perk for me and my husband and the soda package for my son. I’m trying to explain to them that he’s on the spectrum, takes medication and won’t even sip champagne at new years. He hates alcohol but she insisted I have to get him the drink package too. Even offered to bring drs note but she didn’t budge. I told her to forget it and I’ll call another time. How much are the gratuities? Probably only 100 more than the soda package but she was so snooty I just wanted off the phone because I didn’t want to be rude lol 

6 minutes ago, Lreeves316 said:

Well, I called today but I’m going to wait a bit and call back again. I wanted to add the drink package perk for me and my husband and the soda package for my son. I’m trying to explain to them that he’s on the spectrum, takes medication and won’t even sip champagne at new years. He hates alcohol but she insisted I have to get him the drink package too. Even offered to bring drs note but she didn’t budge. I told her to forget it and I’ll call another time. How much are the gratuities? Probably only 100 more than the soda package but she was so snooty I just wanted off the phone because I didn’t want to be rude lol 

How long of a cruise are you on? 

For a 7 day cruise it should be $152.60 for the drink package service charge.

For the soda package it would be $11.13

I based this off my upcoming 8 day cruise that I booked back in January.  I figured out what it cost per day and then multiplied it by 7.   

NCL is pretty firm on everybody in the same cabin having the drink package but there have been people who have posted they were allowed to substitute the soda package due to a need.  Hopefully you will find an agent who has the ability to waive it.  I know other cruise lines, at least RC in the past, don't make passengers in the same cabin all buy the drink package.  

25 minutes ago, Lreeves316 said:

Well, I called today but I’m going to wait a bit and call back again. I wanted to add the drink package perk for me and my husband and the soda package for my son. I’m trying to explain to them that he’s on the spectrum, takes medication and won’t even sip champagne at new years. He hates alcohol but she insisted I have to get him the drink package too. Even offered to bring drs note but she didn’t budge. I told her to forget it and I’ll call another time.

If the son is 21 or older, he would have to get the PBP (alcohol included) package if taking the promo. For years, the PBP promo was only for guests 1&2. Eventually, the promo changed so that all 21 and older in he stateroom have to take the PBP promo if guests 1&2 take the promo.

If the son is under 21, he would get nothing from the promo and you would be able to buy the soda package separately. If the son is under 21, you could make him guest #2 and the husband guest #3. In that scenario, the son would get the soda package and only pay the service charge ($1.99pppd) and the husband would still get the PBP while only paying the service charge ($21.80pppd). 

I would just get the PBP for the 3 of you. The son doesn't have to drink alcohol. The PBP covers soda just as the soda package does. 

25 minutes ago, Lreeves316 said:

How much are the gratuities? Probably only 100 more than the soda package but she was so snooty I just wanted off the phone because I didn’t want to be rude lol 

The service charged is based on the retail cost of the package. If BUYING the PBP, it is $109 per person per day plus 20%. With the promo, NCL covers the $109 pppd and the guest is charged the 20% ($21.80pppd). If you buy the soda package, it is $9.95pppd plus 20% ($11.94pppd) so taking the PBP for the son is about $10 per day more. The PBP also allows non-alcoholic drinks (virgin coladas, virgin daiquiris, etc.) which isn't always the case with the soda package.  

Edited by Two Wheels Only

13 minutes ago, jimsig said:

How long of a cruise are you on? 

For a 7 day cruise it should be $152.60 for the drink package service charge.

For the soda package it would be $11.13

I based this off my upcoming 8 day cruise that I booked back in January.  I figured out what it cost per day and then multiplied it by 7.   

NCL is pretty firm on everybody in the same cabin having the drink package but there have been people who have posted they were allowed to substitute the soda package due to a need.  Hopefully you will find an agent who has the ability to waive it.  I know other cruise lines, at least RC in the past, don't make passengers in the same cabin all buy the drink package.  

The soda package isn’t given at all for a perk, so you have to buy it at full price. Around $80 for the week. Only a $70 difference from $152 but still. It wasn’t just the money part. She was really rude so I just wanted to leave the situation and maybe try again. Seems crazy to force me to get him the alcohol package when he absolutely cannot and will not drink alcohol. I understand people try to scam but I offered drs note or anything they wanted from me. I’ll try again and see what happens. 

37 minutes ago, Lreeves316 said:

The soda package isn’t given at all for a perk, so you have to buy it at full price. 

Yes it is.  If you have someone under drinking age in your cabin they get the soda package as their perk. That's how I knew how much the gratuity is.  

Thanks for starting this thread I called today and added the drink package.  We did not add a package of any kind for the kids.  I originally declined the drink package because the quote showed the tips for all 4 people in the cabin (2 of these being kids under 16).  My husband doesn't drink alcohol but I looked at the $89 soda package and realized the price for 2 is something that would allow me to have a few drinks and try some that I haven’t in the past and allow soda for both of us.  I also spoke to probably the most helpful NCL customer service representative, something i didn't believe actually existed anymore.  Take care everyone and enjoy your cruises.

1 hour ago, wildwanderer said:

I originally declined the drink package because the quote showed the tips for all 4 people in the cabin (2 of these being kids under 16).

As you go through the booking process, the service charge for the kids will drop off once their ages are entered. IOW, if you had taken the promo when you originally booked, guest 1&2 (adults) would have gotten the PBP (and been charged the service charge) and guests 3&4 (kids) would have gotten nothing (and been charged nothing). 

One additional point. Make sure prior to leaving for your cruise that your reservation has all of your expected promo's included. I had the drinking plan removed from one of my cruises accidently. I only noticed it when they charged me for a drink the first day of the cruise.

After calling my PCC and pointing out the error, everything was corrected.  Turns out that my PCC removed the promo accidently when re-pricing my booking to get a better deal. But I did not catch it, so it was my fault.

My point is always check that the expected promo's are listed on your reservation. 

Edited by newbe dave
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 4:49 PM, jimsig said:

Yes it is.  If you have someone under drinking age in your cabin they get the soda package as their perk. That's how I knew how much the gratuity is.  

Yes. You’re right. I kind of knew that but forgot because my son is 25 so it’s the alcohol package or I have to buy soda one full price. Last time I was on NCL they didn’t force the third person to get alcohol package too. They said since it was given free to first 2 people the third didn’t have to get it. I guess now that’s changed. I spoke to someone else and they basically said they don’t care about drs notes and him being autistic. He has to pay the full gratuities on the alcohol package. I just did it and I’m trying to forget about it lol. So would they force a pregnant woman to pay for the alcohol package too? A recovering alcoholic? 

On 4/4/2023 at 4:49 PM, jimsig said:
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:05 PM, wildwanderer said:

Thanks for starting this thread I called today and added the drink package.  We did not add a package of any kind for the kids.  I originally declined the drink package because the quote showed the tips for all 4 people in the cabin (2 of these being kids under 16).  My husband doesn't drink alcohol but I looked at the $89 soda package and realized the price for 2 is something that would allow me to have a few drinks and try some that I haven’t in the past and allow soda for both of us.  I also spoke to probably the most helpful NCL customer service representative, something i didn't believe actually existed anymore.  Take care everyone and enjoy your cruises.

I’m jealous you got a nice representative lol. But in all fairness, she was very nice until I asked her about just doing the soda for my son. She got adamant about everyone in the room getting the alcohol package. Whatever. It is what it is. It’s really not the extra money as much as them forcing it on me.