Crystal Announces Trip Protection from Allianz Global Assistance

Stickman1990

From Cruise Industry News

Crystal announced that it has selected Allianz Global Assistance to provide trip protection for its guests including covering unexpected cancellations, interruptions and travel delays, as well as benefits for unforeseen baggage loss, delay or damages and medical emergencies, according to a press release.

“As we celebrate the relaunch of the storied Crystal brand, we are thrilled to partner with Allianz Global Assistance to provide additional peace of mind to our valued guests,” said Crystal President Jack Anderson.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/04/crystal-announces-trip-protection-from-allianz-global-assistance/

There is a theory that you should never buy insurance from the cruise line. I agree

if there is a dispute will they be loyal to you or the cruise line (their “partner”) that gives them a ton of business?

• Like 2

More importantly - Allianz does not cover you if the cruise line goes bankrupt.

Buying any insurance from a cruise line will not insure you from bankruptcy.

Why is that important -- You can ask the thousands of passengers of OC cruisers that had Allianz policies purchase through OC and many that were even purchased directly.

OMG -- love this quote "to provide additional peace of mind to our valued guests,” said Crystal President Jack Anderson."

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Haha 2

This offers a second option, and my experience with Allianz says it is a good one.  I wouldn't worry about Crystal twisting Allianz's arm over reimbursement [Allianz is much bigger than Crystal and they want you back as a customer on all your cruises].

But policies bought through the cruise line don't include vendor-default coverage.

We always insure with Allianz through my TA ("Journey Plan")  – covering the deposit from day 1 to get vendor default coverage and to lock in our ages for cruises several years out (we save a lot of money when on the cusp of the 5-year age brackets), then increasing coverage with each non-refundable purchase (mainly airfare and cruise final payment).  But there is something odd about Allianz's pricing for these TA policies:  for a low-cost cruise the coverage runs under 10%, but as the price goes up the percentage goes up (we've paid as much as 11.5%).  This is crazy because the medical coverage doesn't change, only the cruise-related coverages – so the percentage should be lower on a more expensive trip.  But Allianz doesn't ask my opinion!

We did buy an Allianz policy on an upcoming Silversea cruise through the Silversea link ("Expedition Plan").  No vendor-default coverage but otherwise very similar to the Journey Plan – and a flat rate of 10% no matter the coverage.  So ... are you sure enough of the cruise line's future to save 2%?

When I purchase insurance (and generally do), I follow my trusted advisor Steve from the tripinsurancestore.com and his recommended providers.  Buying direct is easy, but going through an agent costs no more and they have your back when things go wrong (and trust me they do)

The only benefit to a cruise line policy can be the price -- since they are fixed for all guests no matter what your age.  So for those of 75+, a cruise line policy will likely be cheaper.

For Crystal it is just another revenue stream that all cruise lines have.  Allianz and AIG seem to be the big players in selling to cruiselines and TA's.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Allianz and AIG seem to be the big players in selling to cruiselines and TA's.

And despite Allianz's good reputation (and my good experience with them on several claims), I don't believe Steve carries them.  Makes me wonder about Steve's objectivity...

32 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And despite Allianz's good reputation (and my good experience with them on several claims), I don't believe Steve carries them.  Makes me wonder about Steve's objectivity...

He does not (at least not now).  He is very clear on his site why he does not carry every brand.

Considering the fact that he is competing against TAs and Cruise lines that market the Allianz brand at a likely lower price -- why should he promote them??  Go to insuremytrip.com and Allianz is missing too.

11 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

When I purchase insurance (and generally do), I follow my trusted advisor Steve from the tripinsurancestore.com and his recommended providers.  Buying direct is easy, but going through an agent costs no more and they have your back when things go wrong (and trust me they do)

The only benefit to a cruise line policy can be the price -- since they are fixed for all guests no matter what your age.  So for those of 75+, a cruise line policy will likely be cheaper.

For Crystal it is just another revenue stream that all cruise lines have.  Allianz and AIG seem to be the big players in selling to cruiselines and TA's.

You are so right.  Buying from the cruise line or the cruise line's insurance partner is not a good idea.  Steve is my go to person as well.

• Like 1

What each person does IMHO depends on their circumstances and their needs.

For example, some people are not concerned about the cruise line defaulting.  If that is the case then there could be reasons to book through the cruise line including that the price they pay though the line is the same regardless of their age.

For other people they are better off with some other insurance bought through a third party.

If someone does want the protection from default and for whatever reason wants Allianz if they find a third party or a TA that offers it and purchase it through them it will cover default should the cruise line go into default.

Some people don't buy insurance.

Still others buy insurance but only for medical.

Others buy insurance for the trip cancelation but have very specific needs such as wanting a policy so they can cancel for whatever reason.

I believe when it comes to insurance one glove does not fit all and the devil is in the details.

Good to have choices.

Keith

I'm another Steve the insurance guy fan. I had a nice conversation with him about a month ago. He may have told me a little more about Iowa than I needed to know, but we did nail down the insurance I wanted, which turned out to be from the same company my travel agent quoted, but for about 1/3 the cost because I only covered 2/3 of the trip value - perfect for me since the medical was the same and that's what I wanted the most.

My second point is that choice is not always good. I never understood why after the release of Oreo Double Stuffs, that Nabisco continued to make regular Oreos. (What was the point?) I really think the world would be a better place if there was only one size Oreo - the Double Stuff size - maybe rebranded as Normeo, the only Oreo cookie you ever really need.

My third point, Go Huskies!, might be a little off topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Catch me if UCONN said:

I'm another Steve the insurance guy fan. I had a nice conversation with him about a month ago. He may have told me a little more about Iowa than I needed to know, but we did nail down the insurance I wanted, which turned out to be from the same company my travel agent quoted, but for about 1/3 the cost because I only covered 2/3 of the trip value - perfect for me since the medical was the same and that's what I wanted the most.

My second point is that choice is not always good. I never understood why after the release of Oreo Double Stuffs, that Nabisco continued to make regular Oreos. (What was the point?) I really think the world would be a better place if there was only one size Oreo - the Double Stuff size - maybe rebranded as Normeo, the only Oreo cookie you ever really need.

My third point, Go Huskies!, might be a little off topic.

If there was no choice your only option might have been through the cruise line.  

Yes, choice is good because one size doesn’t fit all.

Default issue aside, there is an inherent conflict of interest if the insurance company partnered with the cruise line gets involved in a dispute 

how hard will they fight for you when the cruise line is giving them access to its passengers and all that business 

bad idea 

you want an insurance company that is not affiliated with the cruise line

2 hours ago, bitob said:

Default issue aside, there is an inherent conflict of interest if the insurance company partnered with the cruise line gets involved in a dispute 

how hard will they fight for you when the cruise line is giving them access to its passengers and all that business 

bad idea 

you want an insurance company that is not affiliated with the cruise line

Imho, insurance companies have one goal: how to deny your claim.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, May B said:

Yes. And they are more likely to deny it if they have a cozy relationship with the cruise line against which you are making a claim

13 hours ago, May B said:

This is one I am going to disagree with.

Like all companies their goal is to be profitable for sure.  And yes, I think if you have had to cancel a cruise they ask for more documentation than say if you had a hail storm and your roof has to be replaced. I can attest to both. But in the end, if you provide the documentation and if what you provide is consistent with the insurance you have signed up for then my experience is you will get your money back. I also do not believe the insurance companies will deny something because of their relationship with a cruise line.  I base this on personally knowing several people who got a major refund from having to cancel World Cruises due to health issues.  

Again, the devil is in the details. When it comes to any type of insurance people need to take the time to understand the policy either by using a third party broker and/or reading the policies and asking for answers that point to the actual wording in the policy.  Sometimes people make assumptions and when it comes to insurance as well as other contractual issues it is not a good idea to just assume.

Anyway, glad there is choice in the marketplace because one size truly does not fit all.

Keith

Those of you who live in the USA have many more options for insurance than those of us who live in Canada.  Some people in Canada who live in provinces, such as Ontario, also have additional choices and coverage than those of us who live elsewhere in Canada.  When we have checked out different insurance plans for family members, and us, when travelling, we have to consider what is the best option for our ages, pre-existing conditions, etc.  The only way that my father-in-law could have taken his only cruise, a once in a lifetime experience, was because Regent (RSSC) provided an insurance option that worked for him.  No, he would not have been covered if the cruise line went bankrupt.  However, it was, according to the company/individual who has been referred to on this thread, the best option for my father-in-law.  It was not the best option for the rest of the extended family on the cruise.

Every time that my DH and I travel/cruise, we check out our insurance options, listen to experts, read the fine print ..., and then make the choice that works best for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1