Oceania Specialty Restaurant reservations

Cruiseskier

The Social Hostess is an entirely separate position . Almost always a senior female member of the entertainment staff. The Social Hostess is also the same rank and pay as the Assistant CD. 

Some, not wanting to be on the CD career path, prefer the Social Hostess position to the Ass’t CD. It gives them the same pay and they can work until they “ age out “ of the entertainment team. Then, go in with life. Additionally, for future contracts, they avoid conflicts of marriage and partner relationships with the other two jobs.

15 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The Social Hostess is an entirely separate position . Almost always a senior female member of the entertainment staff. The Social Hostess is also the same rank and pay as the Assistant CD. 

Some, not wanting to be on the CD career path, prefer the Social Hostess position to the Ass’t CD. It gives them the same pay and they can work until they “ age out “ of the entertainment team. Then, go in with life. Additionally, for future contracts, they avoid conflicts of marriage and partner relationships with the other two jobs.

I've heard of Social Hostesses who eventually do achieve assistant CD.  And I've known entertainment staff who've become ACD's without being social hostesses.  

48 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

I've heard of Social Hostesses who eventually do achieve assistant CD.  And I've known entertainment staff who've become ACD's without being social hostesses.  

Yes indeed, in all the multiple possibilities. Be careful with the term “ achieve”. SH and ACD are the same rank and pay with the same benefits, just different positions. On some cruises, one may be the SH while on another the ACD depending upon the circumstances. 

On 4/17/2023 at 11:49 AM, LHT28 said:

No 

usually one of the entertainment crew   or other staff member

They will also have the needle point classes in the morning in Horizons

Thanks...I've been to the needle point classes and didn't realize that was the title of the staff member. 

Edited by LuAnn

Is there a realistic expectation I should have when it comes to getting additional reservations whilst onboard? Specifically a table for two. English isn’t my wife’s first language so shared tables become awkward with me translating 50% of what is being said. 

We will be traveling in steerage on Nautica for 12 nights.

3 hours ago, Robson1 said:

Is there a realistic expectation I should have when it comes to getting additional reservations whilst onboard? Specifically a table for two. English isn’t my wife’s first language so shared tables become awkward with me translating 50% of what is being said. 

It will depend primarily on two things:

1. How full the ship is;

2. If you’re satisfied with eating later as in  8:00-9:00.

Quick questions.  How successful have you been getting an earlier time on the day of the reservation?  Since we prefer a private table, the only times available are 8 or 9 pm.  

Or do I go to each restaurant every day at 6 and ask if they have any cancellations?

9 hours ago, honmani2 said:

Quick questions.  How successful have you been getting an earlier time on the day of the reservation?  Since we prefer a private table, the only times available are 8 or 9 pm.  

Or do I go to each restaurant every day at 6 and ask if they have any cancellations?

Very few people actually cancel. For those that do, there is generally a wait list from those signing up at the Dining Reservation Desk . So showing up at 6:00 wouldn’t do you much good.

By 6:45, most of the 6:30 stragglers have made it in and the staff has a better idea.

Your best shot is going to Deck 5 to the reservation desk and requesting an additional night there. 

let me say again, a lot depends upon how full the ship is. 

Edited by pinotlover

Do it on the day you embark. And daily after. Depends upon number of passengers and who has made reservations where & when.

My wife doesn't like Oriental. But we did make our one reservation at Red Ginger on Sirena (11/2021). The day we embarked we "cancelled" it and made another reservation in Tuscan Grill.

@MEFIowa

Your DW doesn’t like Asian, mine does not either and RG is her #3, my #1 however. She still loves her dinners there. You should absolutely give it a try and enjoy the experience. 
Have her try the Teriyaki Beef (Filet Mignon) or the Rack of Lamb, best on any ship. Absolutely loves the Watermelon Duck Salad and she does not like duck but …😇👍 There are far too many delicious items on the menu, especially the Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass, to blow off an AWESOME restaurant and the wait staff make it that much more special. 
Try it, she might like it.

Mauibabes 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

...Your DW doesn’t like Asian, mine does not either and RG is her #3, my #1 however. ... Try it, she might like it.

Our first cruise was on Riviera, 12/2021. We did all 4 specialty restaurants. The less said about her miserable time at Red Ginger the better. She hated it all, and even what they tried to make something special just for her simplistic palate. (I loved it all, choosing each course from a different country's origin, but then I lived in the Philippines back in the day and enjoyed their eclectic cuisine and restaurants.)

2 minutes ago, mfabz said:

Do the specialty restaurants have tables for 8?  Thanks

I have  seen a couple  in Polo/Toscana & R G   never  noticed in Jacques  but was not looking either

On 4/23/2023 at 10:09 PM, MEFIowa said:

The less said about her miserable time at Red Ginger the better

Red Ginger was our only disappointment on Marina. Found the food very dumbed down in comparision to what I'd find in East Asian restaurants at home, whereas the other three specialities were on par with equivalents. Probably wouldnt bother with RG again.

Edited by Harters

15 minutes ago, Harters said:

Red Ginger was our only disappointment on Marina. Found the food very dumbed down....

Though do keep in mind that I LOVED Red Ginger. That's just my wife's issue. She who loves plain yogurt. She just doesn't like Asian cuisine. I do. (I Iived in the Philippines while in the USAF.) I tried to sample something from a different Asian area for each course. She just couldn't find anything "bland" enough for her taste buds. They even tried to make her something so bland, but it just had some spice or something in it she didn't like. I love my wife, but she can drive me nuts with her food preferences. 😉 

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Red Ginger was our only disappointment on Marina. Found the food very dumbed down in comparision to what I'd find in East Asian restaurants at home,

just  ask them to spice up the dishes to the more traditional  food

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Red Ginger was our only disappointment on Marina. Found the food very dumbed down in comparision to what I'd find in East Asian restaurants at home, whereas the other three specialities were on par with equivalents. Probably wouldnt bother with RG again.

This just shows how different we all are. 

We loved Red Ginger and went three times on our ten day cruise. The miso glazed sea bass was one of the best fish dishes I've ever had. 

27 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

ask them to spice up the dishes to the more traditional  food

Of course, you don't know there's going to be an issue till you've eaten the dish but it would be something to consider for a future visit. Although the fact that a number of dishes seem to be westernised creations or heavy adaptations, rather than a traditional dish which just needs tweaking, makes it tricky. It's no biggie to miss out RG.

Edited by Harters

4 minutes ago, Harters said:

Of course, you don't know there's going to be an issue till you've eaten the dish but it would be something to consider for a future visit. Although the fact that a number of dishes seem to be westernised creations or heavy adaptations, rather than a traditional dish which just needs tweaking, makes it tricky. It's no biggie to miss out RG.

DH  did not care for  one of the dishes he ordered  they were happy to take it & spice it up  to a  more traditional  version

If you mention when ordering that you would like it  a bit more traditional  they will do  it for you

Just saying 

I've only been to RG twice when on Riviera (Dec 2021), and I had to emphasize that "YES I really do want it spicy" and they bumped it up a notch but it was still what I would term subtle (i.e., not even a hint of a tear in my eye). My mother on the other hand would have been coughing and unable to eat it. So, if a dish is hot-spicy and you like hot, be pushy...the chilis are in the kitchen and just have to make their way to your plate/bowl.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:58 PM, Robson1 said:

Yes there is. I suggestyou go to the reservation desk the day you want to dine. Ask for a 2 if not ask for a share. Once you make the reservation go see the matre d  of the restaurant around 6 before they open  and explain to him or her your special problem that 2 table is what you really need under your special surcumstan.  Most Times you will be accommodated 

Edited by Acrusa