Just Back from Anthem, March 26-April 2

I want to thank everyone for the information and suggestions they gave me that helped our family have a great cruise.  We were a group of 8: grandparents, 2 adult children and their spouses, 2 granddaughters ages 12 and 15.  We are from the Detroit area, and this was the first time we had ever driven to a cruise.  Each family drove their own car.   On Saturday, we drove from home to Bartonsville, Pa. and stayed overnight at Fairfield Inn.  On Sunday morning, we left about 9:00 am and were in the parking garage by 11:00 am. 

We thought all of  the food was very good.  Everyone found enough offerings in both the Windjammer and dining room that they could select something enjoyable.  One granddaughter has a peanut allergy and the head waiter listened to her order each evening and then told her whether it was acceptable or she had to select something different.  I thought this was better than telling her up-front what she could not order.  And that only happened with one of the deserts.  The girls tried escargot and ordered it again on another night.  

We had standard balcony staterooms, and felt that they were larger than other ships we have experienced.  Maybe it just seemed larger, but we noticed it as soon as we walked in.  There was a lot of storage space.

We enjoyed some breakfasts and lunches in the 270 room at the rear of the ship, a very pretty space.  DW and I also had some mornings in the Diamond Lounge, which was well stocked for a continental breakfast.

We are not "big" drinkers, so DW and I used our D+ vouchers to supply a pre-dinner cocktail for those who wanted it, and then used some of the vouchers for discounted bottles of wine to share at dinner.  We always had at least one voucher left over each night. We thought all 3 of the production shows were enjoyable, especially the We will Rock You.  Due to this being  a cooler weather cruise, some of the shows were presented as sea day matinees, which I thought was a great idea.

Overall, the weather was very nice, with the only "cold" days being the first sea day morning, and the last sea day returning.  But the ship offers many indoor venues and activities.  The girls got to experience the IFly and one adult couple did the North Star.  I was told that there were about 4,800 passengers, including 1,100 children.  The only time it really felt "crowded" was on boarding day at the Windjammer, but rooms were ready by 1:00 and our luggage was in our room by 2:00, which I found amazing, considering the number of passengers.  The service we received from everyone was appropriate and well done.

Disembarkation was the easiest I have ever experienced.  We walked off at 7:30, got our luggage, and were driving out of the garage before 8:00 am.  We drove all the way home, which took us about 11 hours with stops for gas and lunch.  It was an enjoyable trip and we would all  consider doing it again next spring.

Thanks, again, to all who offered us the information that helped us have a stress free and enjoyable cruise.  I will try to answer any questions you may have over the next few days.

• Like 10

We are also from MI and were on the Anthem the week before you.  We also drove for the first time (stayed the night before in Allentown)

We would do it all over again.  We really have very little to criticize.  The staff was great, fellow cruisers were great, food was great, cabins were great (with lots of storage space).

The biggest difference was getting on a cruise ship when it's in the 30's outside.  I didn't get warm until Port Canaveral, but once we got there it was beautiful warm weather until the last day heading back.  So yeah, the itinerary isn't the best, but it got the job done.  Loved the indoor spaces, like the solarium, 270, etc...

Our biggest tip is try to board asap and book the "extras" like the Northstar and iFly right away.  They book up FAST.  We were able to do both the first day.  It was really cool seeing the NY skyline from the Northstar.

To top it off we turned Diamond on the cruise.💎  Woohoo!

Happy to hear you had a great time.

Dan

• Like 1

I was, also, on this sailing with my DH, Son and DiL.  Everyone had a great time with perfect weather and calm seas.

Cabin cleaning still offered twice a day but we opted to just have done once in the evening while at dinner.  Worked great for us.

Love the omelet stations in WJ.

Had a great dinner at Chops and a good lunch at Jamie's, except for our forgetful waiter.

Love the lamb pita with Greek salad served in MDR lunch on day 2.

We had no problems with new dinner menus in MDR.  Although I do miss the apple blossom.  

French onion soup and escargot, our family favorites, were available several nights.

Bartender Rajesh (Raj) in schooner bar is a great guy.  We were happy to see him again.

Had a blast at Quest and Majority rules game show.   

Did not care for the cover band but no biggy for us.

Overall we had an Excellent cruise.  Always enjoy Anthem.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Congrats!

I will turn Diamond Plus 340 on my next Anthem cruise in May.

That’s fantastic!  Not sure we’ll ever reach that milestone but here’s hoping.  The drink vouchers will be a wonderful supplement to our cruises.  Royal is such a good cruise line, with amazing ships, and now it will be even better.  Looking forward to the Quantum in July out of Seattle.  

Happy cruising!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Looking forward to the Quantum in July out of Seattle.  

I was on Quantum's "maiden" voyage; an 8 night non-stop[1] transatlantic from Southampton to Cape Liberty in Nov. 2014.

Will be my 7th time on Anthem.  One westbound transatlantic, Bermuda, Canada/NE, Bahamas, Eastern Caribbean (NYE), two eastbound transatlantics.

[1] We did stop at Ponta Delgada, Azores for a med evac.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1