Diamond free specialty restaurant dinner

dheat789

Just turned Diamond on our last cruise and received a letter stating we get a dinner for 2 at any specialty restaurant we choose. I called diamond desk to see how it worked. I was told to call back within a week of cruise and they would make reservation so I wouldn't have to do it online and pay first. Called back today to make reservation and now told make reservation online and pay and I would get credit on ship. Has anyone had any experience with this? Which is true?

My experience is that I could only make the reservation after I got on the ship.  I called the steakhouse soon after getting on the ship and they made the reservation.  I had to take the letter to the steakhouse on the night of the reservation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dheat789 said:

Just turned Diamond on our last cruise and received a letter stating we get a dinner for 2 at any specialty restaurant we choose. I called diamond desk to see how it worked. I was told to call back within a week of cruise and they would make reservation so I wouldn't have to do it online and pay first. Called back today to make reservation and now told make reservation online and pay and I would get credit on ship. Has anyone had any experience with this? Which is true?

Don't fall for it.  Nor can you get credit back unless you cancel and rebook with the Diamond benefit which requires there be available times.  Just go to the Steakhouse soon as you can onboard  and book.  

• Like 2

Like the others said, my experience was also having to go directly to the restaurant (we went to Rudi's) when you board.  And don't let them push you to another opening if they say they are 'booked'.  I just stood there and said no, we have other plans and said I could have avoided this if you would let us book online prior to cruising and shouldn't have to pay first and waste vacation time standing in line at guest services to try to get it credited...and they worked it out.😂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruisin*tigger said:

Like the others said, my experience was also having to go directly to the restaurant (we went to Rudi's) when you board.  And don't let them push you to another opening if they say they are 'booked'.  I just stood there and said no, we have other plans and said I could have avoided this if you would let us book online prior to cruising and shouldn't have to pay first and waste vacation time standing in line at guest services to try to get it credited...and they worked it out.😂

Guest Services told me the only way to get credited was to cancel the reservation before dinner and rebook.  There were no openings so I used it next cruise

On 4/3/2023 at 11:16 AM, JT1962 said:

Thanks all for your replies, I called Diamond desk back again today and said to the lady I was told previously that I could make a reservation through her for my free dinner on my upcoming cruise and she said yes and took care of it for me. So I guess it just depends on what person you get when you call. Third time was a charm.

1 hour ago, dheat789 said:

So I guess it just depends on what person you get when you call.

Yeah, pretty much sums up Carnival's phone help desk service: there are "rules" and then there are "guidelines", it seems...

As others say: if you don't like the answer you get, hang up (nicely) and call back until you get a different person (which is almost always).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dheat789 said:

Thanks all for your replies, I called Diamond desk back again today and said to the lady I was told previously that I could make a reservation through her for my free dinner on my upcoming cruise and she said yes and took care of it for me. So I guess it just depends on what person you get when you call. Third time was a charm.

We were told this by the Diamond desk, but two different times, no reservation existed once we were onboard.

9 hours ago, dheat789 said:

3 hours ago, mbglib said:

We were told this by the Diamond desk, but two different times, no reservation existed once we were onboard.

Same.  Diamond Desk told me my reservations were all set.  Get on board, no reservations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I booked pre cruise to get exact night and time we wanted (1st night for wine deal). Used onboard credit to book. Once onboard went to both guest services with our letter and steakhouse and got mixed confused looks on what to do.  At our dinner gave server our letter they came back and said manager said you prepaid so within 5-7 business your credit card used to book will be refunded. I tried to explain we used onboard credit so need that refunded. Planned to just call diamond desk when we finished cruise but before cruise was over we had the onboard credit reimbursement. For our next one we are waiting until the day we board to make reservation. Don’t forget to bring the letter with you.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Sorry but I’m raising this feed from the grave for just a minute. 

I’m turning diamond on my next cruise in May. I called the Diamond desk to inquire about the free steakhouse dinner. The woman who answered the phone sounded like I woke her from a nap and told me to just wait until I got on board. Or book it, pay for it and go to guest services for a refund.  Ugh.  I said ok. 

I had this in my shopping card for 1 day to see if I liked the atmosphere of the steakhouse and now they’re booked. 

Now I’m hearing you can’t get reimbursed. 

So I guess I will try to set something up immediately upon boarding.  But I don’t think I’ll have the steakhouse paper, right?

What are the chances of me getting a 5:30 booking on the first night?

By steakhouse paper, do you mean the letter you get?  It was on my bed when I boarded. 

Just go inquire when you board.  I refused to pay and get refunded, so just waited to walk up.  I did a b2b when I turned Diamond and ended up with a Diamond offer on each cruise, so just walked up both times - no issues.  And you don't have to use it immediately, I waited to use them on Celebration because you can do Rudi's Seagrill too.

29 minutes ago, TrqoisWtrs said:

It was on my bed when I boarded

Oh. OK. I hope it’s there.  The last 2 cruises our cabin was not finished being cleaned or a card to get in the cabin even at 1:30 pm. 

Thanks for the info. 

While this is not the Diamond freebie, I recently cruised with my grandkids and did the steakhouse twice.  So as not to miss out on a sold out venue, I booked and prepaid for 8 of us.  All of the kids were refunded on the night of our dining so they are used to having to do this. (3 of the kids were in a suite with me and theirs were free).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, audcc77 said:

Sorry but I’m raising this feed from the grave for just a minute. 

I’m turning diamond on my next cruise in May. I called the Diamond desk to inquire about the free steakhouse dinner. The woman who answered the phone sounded like I woke her from a nap and told me to just wait until I got on board. Or book it, pay for it and go to guest services for a refund.  Ugh.  I said ok. 

I had this in my shopping card for 1 day to see if I liked the atmosphere of the steakhouse and now they’re booked. 

Now I’m hearing you can’t get reimbursed. 

So I guess I will try to set something up immediately upon boarding.  But I don’t think I’ll have the steakhouse paper, right?

What are the chances of me getting a 5:30 booking on the first night?

I got my letter in the mail after I turned Diamond, not onboard.  There will be reservations onboard.  They do not book everything precruise

• Like 1