Sofa bed safety rails

We will be sailing on the Oasis with our extended family.  Our kids have a room with a sofa bed for our grand daughter who is a toddler who may roll out of bed.  Are there any provisions that the ship has to keep her from rolling out?  If not, how have others handled it?

2 hours ago, rjp50 said:

We will be sailing on the Oasis with our extended family.  Our kids have a room with a sofa bed for our grand daughter who is a toddler who may roll out of bed.  Are there any provisions that the ship has to keep her from rolling out?  If not, how have others handled it?

My then Toddler threw 2yr old just slept with her Mom each Cruise. Then lower pullouts are not that far off the Floor, trying to remember if Oasis is the Trundle style. Anyone know?  She that little needs(and will Cabin size allow) small Crib/pack-n-play? Some Stormy nites at home we'd end up with 5 of us in our Bed. One Kid and the smallest in Bed on a Cruise wasnt much out of the Norm

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rjp50 said:

A sofa bed?  Don't really recall ever being concerned that a kid will fall out of it, but it is really low to the ground.  If they roll off, they might not even wake up.  Kids are pretty sturdy.  Just tuck them in, and and maybe put some pillows along the side.  

The other idea is that let the parents worry about it, since it's not your room or kid.  One of them can sleep with the kid, and act as the blocker since a sofa bed can be only one side.  

Edited by Joseph2017China
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

A sofa bed?  Don't really recall ever being concerned that a kid will fall out of it, but it is really low to the ground.  If they roll off, they might not even wake up.  Kids are pretty sturdy.  Just tuck them in, and and maybe put some pillows along the side.  

The other idea is that let the parents worry about it, since it's not your room or kid.  One of them can sleep with the kid, and act as the blocker since a sofa bed can be only one side.  

Clearly not a grandparent. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The liberty panoramic oceanview sofa bed was a trundle type. We brought inflatable bumpers and our 18 month old didn't fall out. They are indeed low to the floor. They remove the sofa cushions so you could always use those in a pinch?

Then you should understand a grandparent’s concern.  It may not be His/her JOB to fix the problem but I would be asking the question too.  “Not your room, not your kid” is a pretty cold response .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

put some pillows along the side.  

That's what we did for our youngest daughter years ago, at hotels, actually any place away form home.  She was a very active sleeper.  If possible, we'd push the bed up against a wall and put pillows (or anything soft, like extra blankets, seat cushions, etc) along one side and at the foot of the bed.  No problem.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, poocher said:

Then you should understand a grandparent’s concern.  It may not be His/her JOB to fix the problem but I would be asking the question too.  “Not your room, not your kid” is a pretty cold response .

How is it cold, would this be the parents issue to worry about?  Not being cold, but seriously, my grandkids have slept in full size beds in hotels, and at my house for years. Maybe as a grandparent, you forget that kids are very good at climbing out of cribs, onto furntire, and if there is a staircase, they will try to climb it.  Toddlers fall all the time, and it is just part of it.  A sofa bed is not high off the floor, and you can easily put blankets up one side to act as a buffer.  Not really a big deal.  But than again, it is the parents job to decide what they want to do unless a person does not trust them?  I trust my kids to parent my grandkids.  

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

How is it cold, would this be the parents issue to worry about?  Not being cold, but seriously, my grandkids have slept in full size beds in hotels, and at my house for years. Maybe as a grandparent, you forget that kids are very good at climbing out of cribs, onto furntire, and if there is a staircase, they will try to climb it.  Toddlers fall all the time, and it is just part of it.  A sofa bed is not high off the floor, and you can easily put blankets up one side to act as a buffer.  Not really a big deal.  But than again, it is the parents job to decide what they want to do unless a person does not trust them?  I trust my kids to parent my grandkids.  

Yup, it is the parents' job to do the principle worrying.  That's why my DIL reached out to me to find out about this since she was worried.  Based on this video from RCI, I think her worry is warranted.  The fall from the sofa bed used for this video is not insignificant.

For those who responded constructively, thank you.

Edited by rjp50
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Yup, it is the parents' job to do the principle worrying.  That's why my DIL reached out to me to find out about this since she was worried.  Based on this video from RCI, I think her worry is warranted.  The fall from the sofa bed used for this video is not insignificant.

I don't know, looks like all they have to do, like suggested is put a row of pillows on one side.  That's what generations of parents have done and those beds are big.  They sleep two.  But if she is worried, have them supply a crib.  All we were trying to point out, is that it is a non issue for most of us that have delt with it over the decades

• Like 1

Bring blow up noodles or use pillows under the sheets as bumpers to stop them from rolling.  

The bed will likely be quite low.  In that video it is well below the attendants knees.

Otherwise use a pack and play.  

4 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Pretty sure that is not the type of sofabed on Oasis, I think it folds down differently.  Oasis does not have the trundle bed type sofabeds either.  A rolled blanket under the bottom sheet can make a bumper and also putting the chair from the vanity with the back towards the sofabed will make a barrier too.  Just talk to the cabin steward, they know all the tricks that will make a safe space for a little one.

11 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

If they roll off, they might not even wake up.  Kids are pretty sturdy.  Just tuck them in, and and maybe put some pillows along the side.  

Funny you should say that. Twice as a 4-5yr old guess I rolled off Top of a Bunk Bed onto Hardwood floor. Railings on old style were never secure. Moms says they heard the thump once and other time not. I never woke, both times Dad just tossed me still sleeping back in Top Bunk not a peep out of me.

Edited by ONECRUISER

2 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Funny you should say that. Twice as a 4-5yr old guess I rolled off Top of a Bunk Bed onto Hardwood floor. Moms says they heard the thump once and other time not. I never woke, both times Dad just tossed me still sleeping back in Top Bunk not a peep out of me.

My 5 year old rolled out of his single bed last month on our cruise.  I heard it and put him back in bed.  He barely woke up.   The beds are probably higher than the couch beds.  I’d only worry if their head or neck could get caught on something.   Of course we make sure to check for any such hazards when traveling.   Little guy spins like a clock when sleeping.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ret MP said:

That's what we did for our youngest daughter years ago, at hotels, actually any place away form home.  She was a very active sleeper.  If possible, we'd push the bed up against a wall and put pillows (or anything soft, like extra blankets, seat cushions, etc) along one side and at the foot of the bed.  No problem.

Know many that would put infant/toddler in Hotel Dresser Drawer(not closed) to sleep. In older Royal Ships turn the Love Seat around facing the Wall, instant Crib. Multiple CC Members have mentioned doing that... As oldest of what was eventually 11 when there was not enough Beds or pullouts in Hotel I'd Camp on the Floor in my Sleeping Bag.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Pretty sure that is not the type of sofabed on Oasis, I think it folds down differently.  Oasis does not have the trundle bed type sofabeds either.  A rolled blanket under the bottom sheet can make a bumper and also putting the chair from the vanity with the back towards the sofabed will make a barrier too.  Just talk to the cabin steward, they know all the tricks that will make a safe space for a little one.

Thats what I was thinking, Oasis is Trundle pull out lower, not like Video posted. Anyone know?