P&O Arvia K307 - Not the experience we were expecting

gary_w

11 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

We enjoyed Olive Grove on Iona very much too.

I am hoping Arvia will give us the same experience, but having viewed their Olive Grove menus online they do look very scaled down and limited compared to Iona. We shall see🤞

I have looked for Olive Grove menu on Arvia but can't find them

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Obviously P&O have different policies for booking pre cruise for Iona and Arvia. Olive Grove and Beach House are not pre bookable on Iona so naturally assumed Arvia would be the same. But obviously P&O don't do things for simplicity.

We booked the Beach House in advance. It was my least favourite restaurant and we cancelled our second visit. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

we loved the beach house menu on Britannia in April last year but didn’t really think the menu was good on iona in November. 
think we might just do mdr and olive grove only this cruise. 

We really enjoyed Beach House on Arvia they do the sizzling plates where you can cook your own steak and prawns and fun sharing desserts

I think it's a great option for families or for a fun meal with a difference

3 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

we loved the beach house menu on Britannia in April last year but didn’t really think the menu was good on iona in November. 
think we might just do mdr and olive grove only this cruise. 

6th street diner is also included as a MDR on arvia. Your kids should like it in there

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Here is menu A from the P&O site

OLIVE GROVE A1.jpg

OLIVE GROVE A2.jpg

OLIVE GROVE A3.jpg

That's the one that led us to eat at Olive Grove. Unfortunately, when we did so it was the very disappointing menu B that was on offer.

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

6th street diner is also included as a MDR on arvia. Your kids should like it in there

I would not class either the 6th Street Diner or Olive Grove as MDRs; to me they are just standalone restaurants that happen to be free.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I would not class either the 6th Street Diner or Olive Grove as MDRs; to me they are just standalone restaurants that happen to be free.

Agreed. It was great having the choice of MDR or alternative venues included in the cruise fare for those guests who choose not to pay extra for speciality restaurants. We did but that was our choice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Agreed. It was great having the choice of MDR or alternative venues included in the cruise fare for those guests who choose not to pay extra for speciality restaurants. We did but that was our choice. 

Yes, indeed.

For us, having been frequent visitors to the US before Covid, the 6th Street Diner didn't live up to the hype that P&O was giving it. I recall one press 'review' (or rather advertorial) claiming it to be the most authentic American diner at sea. Yeah, right!🙄

We will though give it another chance in the next couple of weeks.

Olive Grove also didn't live up to expectations. Again, we will try it again in the next couple of weeks, but only when menu A is on.

We're on Iona in June, and would like to see how that Olive Grove compares.

2 hours ago, alpha whiskey said:

I found this on CruiseMummy

image.thumb.png.ceb93a68f4eb8792b74deb113af1d72f.png

If this is Arvia's menu then it seems very odd that having increased the seating capacity for the Olive Grove from Iona because it was so popular, they have then decimated its menu. One can only wonder what on earth P&O were thinking.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If this is Arvia's menu then it seems very odd that having increased the seating capacity for the Olive Grove from Iona because it was so popular, they have then decimated its menu. One can only wonder what on earth P&O were thinking.

In January is was full nearly every night John; for the life of me, I cannot fathom why that was.🤔

33 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Yes, indeed.

For us, having been frequent visitors to the US before Covid, the 6th Street Diner didn't live up to the hype that P&O was giving it. I recall one press 'review' (or rather advertorial) claiming it to be the most authentic American diner at sea. Yeah, right!🙄

We will though give it another chance in the next couple of weeks.

Olive Grove also didn't live up to expectations. Again, we will try it again in the next couple of weeks, but only when menu A is on.

We're on Iona in June, and would like to see how that Olive Grove compares.

We tried both olive grove and 6th street diner online arvia

Average food but nice to have a change of scenery

Why not?

Arvia's Olive Grove has two menus, A and B. When I asked recently on here I got 3 definitive answers. 

Same menu all fortnight

Changes weekly

Changes every 3 days

I will find out in the next couple of weeks.

I will be happy with both menus. The dreaded menu B has an Italian Antipasti grazing board for 2. That plus a salad and a glass of wine is just right for me.

Iona had pizza as well so no waiter serve pizza on Arvia. Come back Pizza Hut.

9 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We really enjoyed Beach House on Arvia they do the sizzling plates where you can cook your own steak and prawns and fun sharing desserts

I think it's a great option for families or for a fun meal with a difference

They had the lava block steaks on the previous menu too. Just better deserts and starts imo

plus I had the fajitas on both ships and you got a lot more before. On iona when I had it I was quite hungry, my kids should have probably had that one as it was two very small fajita wraps. There was also lots of veg and less meat. Would say cost cutting. But can’t be cos of covid as it was quite acceptable in April 22. 

Edited by Vampiress88

42 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Arvia's Olive Grove has two menus, A and B. When I asked recently on here I got 3 definitive answers. 

Same menu all fortnight

Changes weekly

Changes every 3 days

I will find out in the next couple of weeks.

I will be happy with both menus. The dreaded menu B has an Italian Antipasti grazing board for 2. That plus a salad and a glass of wine is just right for me.

Iona had pizza as well so no waiter serve pizza on Arvia. Come back Pizza Hut.

We only cruised a couple of weeks ago on Arvia. Def 2 menus, we had both, changed weekly as far as I could see. 

• Thanks 2