Return to Band Camp: A first-time, potentially somewhat live narration - Escape April 16

Travelicious

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Travelicious was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Long-time cruiser (around 18 under the belt dating back to 1981, then long pause until 2004) and Cruise Critic member, thinking about being a first-time “reviewer.” 

I am a former public defender living in a southern state.  Having served my time, carrying the weight of other peoples’ problems for 28 years, and being stressed to the max on many, many occasions, I retired about 1.5 years ago at the age of 58.  I have since been living a life of leisure until I recently took on a contract job as an investigator (I did much of my own investigations when I had a real job) for one serious criminal case.  It has provided all of the excitement without the stress.  

The wife (hereinafter “Pookie”), at this point, still has 10 months to go before retirement. I decided even before I retired that I should cruise once per quarter (or thereabouts) until she can join me.  

I took my first solo cruise the month after retirement on the Escape.  As I was the organizer of the Meet & Greet, and it was the Escape’s first sailing after the shutdown, various perks and gifts of appreciation were showered upon me by the officers and crew.  Truly a great experience.  I told Pookie so many stories about the experience that, rather than continuing to say, “when I went on the Escape ...,” I started saying, “One time, at Band Camp...”

Since Band Camp, I’ve done one other solo cruise on the Bliss, 2 cruises with Pookie on the Breakaway and the Epic (long-awaited Med trip, thrice cancelled due to Covid), and recently one on the Breakaway with my mother.  I loved them all, but am super excited about my return to Band Camp.

A few of the treats I received at Band Camp, along with daily canapes and more chocolate covered strawberries than I could eat.

thumbnail_IMG_1693.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1694.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1703.jpg

• Like 14

What is Band Camp?  Was Choir of Man on your ship?  What category of stateroom did you get to have a coffee maker in the cabin?  We are on the Escape April 30, so I am asking all these questions.  Love the pictures too!  Were there alot of kids on your cruise?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

What is Band Camp?  Was Choir of Man on your ship?  What category of stateroom did you get to have a coffee maker in the cabin?  We are on the Escape April 30, so I am asking all these questions.  Love the pictures too!  Were there alot of kids on your cruise?

Perhaps you are too young to remember, but there was a movie in the 90s called American Pie.  One of the characters repeatedly told stories starting with, "one time, at band camp . . ."

No kids on the cruise.  It was before the vaccination restrictions were lifted, and kids were not eligible for vaccinations yet.  It was great!

You other questions should be answered in the next post.  Except the Choir of Man question.  I don't remember.  If it was, I didn't see it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Like many, I received a 10% coupon for this specific cruise.  I decided that it would fall within the approximate time frame of my quarterly cruise goal.  It was booked through a travel agent I’ve used a couple of times, recommended privately by a fellow-CCer, due to her ability to obtain the Amex Platinum cruise benefits.  This consists of $100 OBC for an inside cabin, $200 for balcony, and $300, I believe, for Haven, as well as a dinner a Le Bistro.  Not all travel agents are able to obtain these benefits, and the one I have used for probably the last decade has not been able to do so.  

I ordinarily book balcony cabins when cruising with Pookie.  On the Band Camp cruise, in November, 2021, I didn’t want to spend that much money for a balcony, with the solo supplement, just myself.  After all, I was a “pensioner” as the Brits would say.  I looked at the studio cabins, but they were actually priced higher than an inside.  So I booked the inside guarantee - no Free at Sea.

Later, prices dropped significantly and the solo supplement was eliminated, so I was able to change my booking to a balcony with the FAS perks for only $155.  What a deal!  On my next solo cruise, April of 2022, I booked a balcony with FAS for even less than the previous cruise.

But times have changed and the cruises are filling up, so deals like those were not to be on this sailing.  I booked a studio cabin with FAS, for about $1,100.  I decided to add the Vibe Beach Club, as I had never done that before, and I toyed with the idea of upgrading to FAS+.  I would have $200 in non-refundable OBC ($100 shareholder credit and $100 Amex Plat benefit), and I definitely planned to upgrade to unlimited internet.  I planned to upgrade after boarding using that OBC.  Ultimately, after I got the contract job, I decided to splurge and upgrade to FAS+ beforehand.  Now I’ll still have $200 to spend onboard. I’ll probably get a massage and maybe have enough left to get a lobster tail with one of my specialty meals.  That will take care of the OBC.  

I did bid a small amount on an upgrade to a balcony, but that has not been granted at this point.  I’m fine if that doesn’t happen.  I kind of want to get the studio experience.  Then again, I do love being able to look out at the ocean, even if I am not out on the balcony.  I love seeing the beam of a full moon on the ocean’s surface at night.

• Like 10

Then I heard rumblings of people receiving notifications of a FedEx package that would be arriving from NCL.  I received no such notification, but yesterday I received a package containing Latitudes packing cubes:

thumbnail_IMG_2071.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2072.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2073.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

These were the activity options.  Not the limited capacity.  I registered for the Sail and Sustain Mixologist experience, and the Private Choir of Man Q&A and Performance.  Would have liked to attend the comedy, but it conflicts with dinner plans.

Guest #1
4/17 - 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM |NCL Leadership Panel (max 750 guests)

4/18 - 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM |Stand-up Comedian Steve Treviño (max 750)

4/19 - 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM | Private Choir of Man Q&A & Performance (max 200 guests)

4/19 - 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM | Sail & Sustain Mixologist experiences (max 60)

4/22 - 12:00 PM – 12:30 PM |Behind the scenes GSC (max 16 guests)

4/22 - 12:30 PM – 1:00 PM |Behind the scenes GSC (max 16 guests)

4/22 - 1:00 PM – 1:30 PM |Behind the scenes GSC (max 16 guests)

4/22 - 1:30 PM – 2:00 PM |Behind the scenes GSC (max 16 guests)

4/22 - 2:00 PM – 2:30 PM |Behind the scenes GSC (max 16 guests)
  • Like 2

Guess we are going to band camp too !!!

Seems strange that we had different offerings, we signed up for the Barcardi tasting which some didn't get. Maybe they track what I have been drinking while aboard.

Still waiting for the gift, was really hoping for a koozie with FDR's image.

Jim

• Haha 6

43 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Guess we are going to band camp too !!!

Seems strange that we had different offerings, we signed up for the Barcardi tasting which some didn't get. Maybe they track what I have been drinking while aboard.

Still waiting for the gift, was really hoping for a koozie with FDR's image.

Jim

I would have liked the Barcardi tasting.  Maybe they added more events after I responded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

I had to search a bit for the PG version.  Her stories get a bit more risqué later in the movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

So I was looking to have a T-shirt made up with this image but now trying to find a " This one time at Band Camp ". 

Screenshot 2023-04-08 103921.png

I find it ironic that they blessed all of us with that strange, one of a kind, April 16 10% off coupon but this thread is the first time I've ever seen that it is to be some type of "special" Latitudes event.  That said, it certainly would not have made any difference in my cruise planning.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I find it ironic that they blessed all of us with that strange, one of a kind, April 16 10% off coupon but this thread is the first time I've ever seen that it is to be some type of "special" Latitudes event.  That said, it certainly would not have made any difference in my cruise planning.

Well it did say it was a Latitudes cruise.  But I find it interesting that you had to sail by 4/23…which I wonder if both sailings on 4/16 and 4/23 would have the special offerings.

We may have taken up the offer had we not already booked a Prima cruise at end of April.  We took a Southern Living Cruise one year…many years ago…and the added-value events and gratis was well worth the cruise price.

I kinda wished we had booked this cruise over Prima.🤷‍♀️

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Well it did say it was a Latitudes cruise.

You're right.  I totally missed that, but they really didn't communicate to me that this was anything special.  Like I said, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference.  Most of don't make our cruise plans based upon when some 10% off deal is waved in front of us.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You're right.  I totally missed that, but they really didn't communicate to me that this was anything special.  Like I said, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference.  Most of don't make our cruise plans based upon when some 10% off deal is waved in front of us.

Besides the 10% off, we didn't get notified of anything special until March 29, others we notified several days later. Our offers were slightly different than others. Same as the special gift, some got notified that a package was coming, others had no notice and they received their gift, for us nothing. Really wanted that Koozie.

Reading some of the comments on that other book it appears that the notification process for the events and gifts was a total cluster.

We should get notified sometime this week about what events we are going to attend or will we?

Jim

• Like 3

OMG!  I would loved to have seen "Behind The tours" again. I saw it 30 years ago for free.  I see they are going way out for the "Latitudes" cruise. I wish I booked this cruise. I have lots of OLD Latitudes pins from 19 nineties when I sailed solo!  Who remembers the NORWAY!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I seem to remember getting an email announcing the First Ever Latitude cruise, with special events geared to Latitude members.   Not long afterward the coupon showed up in my account. We had a conflict, so have passed on the opportunity, but it would mean flying and I’ve got to reeeeealy want to go somewhere before submitting myself to the torture of flying these days.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

OMG!  I would loved to have seen "Behind The tours" again. I saw it 30 years ago for free.  I see they are going way out for the "Latitudes" cruise. I wish I booked this cruise. I have lots of OLD Latitudes pins from 19 nineties when I sailed solo!  Who remembers the NORWAY!

BTS tours are back as a Platinum and above Latitudes perk on most ships. Book on embarkation day before 9pm at the CN desk. And make sure you have closed toe shoes. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

We should get notified sometime this week about what events we are going to attend or will we?

The email I got after registration said we’d have invitations to the events we selected/were approved for when we board. I think that they let as many people sign up as wished to and are randomly (or not, who knows with these things) selecting as many as will fit.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

OMG!  I would loved to have seen "Behind The tours" again.

The Behind the Scenes tour for the Latitudes cruise special is of Great Stirrup Cay. As far as I know, they will still have BTS on the ship for Platinum and above (I hope so, I want to do that).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I haughtily dismissed my 10% discount and booked the Epic for the same week instead. This shall add to my long pile of regrets.

@Travelicious have a great time on this special Latitudes sailing. I will be following along with much envy.

I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Epic.   She has some eccentricities, but I loved my time on her and the wonderful crew.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

for us nothing. Really wanted that Koozie.

I'll be really surprised if you don't get the package.  It wouldn't make much sense.  But if you don't, you can go to guest services and angrily demand that your daily service charges be removed.  🤣

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Hmm.  Maybe you aren't too young to be able to remember American Pie after all.  😁 

My first cruise was in 1981.  Then the long pause, and my next was supposed to be on the Norway in 2003.  We were pretty poor back then, so it was a big deal for us.  We flew to Miami and, full of excitement, approached the lady bearing the NCL sign in baggage claim.  She searched for our names, then told us that the Norway was not sailing that day, the next day, or at all.  That was the morning of the explosion in the boiler room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelicious said:

She searched for our names, then told us that the Norway was not sailing that day, the next day, or at all.  That was the morning of the explosion in the boiler room.

Oh my. What a tragic event. I was unaware this had happened. God Blessed you that day.