40 of 49 StarLink satellites were lost...

longterm

If cruisers are wondering why Internet connection isn't working well on ships right now, it may be because SpaceX chose to ignore scientists' warnings about an ongoing geomagnetic storm. As a result, StarLink launched 49 satellites, and 40 of them were lost--to a tune of something like $20 million.

SpaceX’s growing fleet of Starlink internet satellites now make up half of all active satellites in Earth orbit. There are 3,660 active Starlink satellites, about half of the 7,300 active satellites in Earth orbit. So, one could assume that losing 40 of a total of 3600 satellites probably didn't result in much of a negative effect on connectivity.

https://www.inverse.com/science/now-we-know-how-a-solar-storm-took-out-a-fleet-of-starlinks

8 minutes ago, longterm said:

If cruisers are wondering why Internet connection isn't working well on ships right now, it may be because SpaceX chose to ignore scientists' warnings about an ongoing geomagnetic storm. As a result, StarLink launched 49 satellites, and 40 of them were lost--to a tune of something like $20 million.

And then

8 minutes ago, longterm said:

one could assume that losing 40 of a total of 3600 satellites probably didn't result in much of a negative effect on connectivity.

So which is it?  Did losing a bit over 1% of the system affect performance or not?

Seems you say both.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

And then

So which is it?  Did losing a bit over 1% of the system affect performance or not?

Seems you say both.

Actually, I didn't *say* either; we haven't been on an ocean cruise since last May, so don't know what Internet has been like on cruises in the past few months. I do know that it was awful last May in the Mediterranean though.

What I also know from the articles I read, is that SpaceX seems to have ignored the advice of space scientists and proceeded anyway; there was a launch window they had to hit, so I'm guessing that's why they chose to deploy when they did, causing a more than $20 million loss.

With more than 3600 satellites in orbit, I would assume that the additional ones were meant to fill gaps in their system here and there, or maybe as redundant satellites, so hopefully StarLink customers didn't notice any difference. I'm guessing we didn't have StarLink connectivity last May in the Med--if we did, it was really awful.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Seems you say both.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

If this was on FB, we would call it "Click Bait"  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I was thinking the exact same thing!

If this was on FB, we would call it "Click Bait"  🙂

Yeah, I'm going for clicks because... why exactly?

I found it relevant because cruise ships are moving to StarLink, and this is... wait for it... a cruise forum.

So let's go back to dogs on ships and people wearing jeans.

Edited by longterm
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We live in Titusville.  We get to watch the SpaceX launches many times twice a week lately.  Each launch carries up to 21 satellites.  

If Elon has lost 40 of them after this many years of launching them up there....that's not even a dent in the network.  

We are just south in Satellite Beach, FL.  According to Wikipedia, "nearly 12,000 satellites are planned to be deployed, with a possible later extension to 42,000."  If that is true--I could not find projected constellation numbers on Starlink's website--they are a little over a quarter of the way toward their first goal.  No wonder we're seeing one to two launches a week!

• Like 1

3660 star link satellites already in space, which is approx. 50% of goal to over 7000 of them.  

40 lost out of that total....not a big $$ hurt for Elon.  😉 

I would call that a very tiny loss on a huge investment.   Surprised the loss is that small.  

20 hours ago, longterm said:

I found it relevant because cruise ships are moving to StarLink, and this is... wait for it... a cruise forum.

Wow longterm, I sure hope you learned a valuable lesson today and will stick with approved topics, including but not necessary limited to (but would be advisable):

• purchasing the beverage package and the obligatory response that you can get any fancy stuff even if you don't purchase the package
  • whether crocs or jeans are approved dinner wear even if they have shiny bits
  • dinner and bar menus well in advance
  • whether someone is being g ripped off and will never cruise with Viking again because.....whatever
  • removing gratuities cause tipping ..... living wage.... who gets it or who doesn't.... 
  • COVID related stuff.... wait that is off the table
  • snark

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

49 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

Wow longterm, I sure hope you learned a valuable lesson today and will stick with approved topics, including but not necessary limited to (but would be advisable):

• purchasing the beverage package and the obligatory response that you can get any fancy stuff even if you don't purchase the package
  • whether crocs or jeans are approved dinner wear even if they have shiny bits
  • dinner and bar menus well in advance
  • whether someone is being g ripped off and will never cruise with Viking again because.....whatever
  • removing gratuities cause tipping ..... living wage.... who gets it or who doesn't.... 
  • COVID related stuff.... wait that is off the table
  • snark

🙂

Boy did I learn my lesson. 

Lesson 1: Some people need not to miss their naps.

Lesson 2: Stay on the path; grouse about the wine list, someone's Hawaiian shirt selections, having to endure yet more Beatles, Abba, jeans (oh the horror), flip-flops (try Oofos, they're my favorite), those little soaps, and of course, dogs.

Lesson 3: Don't inject something that might actually be interesting, because someone is going to snark away and point out that an idiot billionaire can afford to lose $20+ million (which is more than I make in a WEEK).

Lesson 4: No matter WHAT you post, there's always someone who knows more than you do; it's a rule, and just deal with it.

I ventured off the beaten path, and will try not to do it again. So for my next topic, I'll bring up the fact that some people actually walk the WRONG WAY on the 2nd-deck promenade. Who do I talk to?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, longterm said:

Sorry Longterm - that you took my comment seriously.

Was meant to be tongue in cheek.  Hope you can smile now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longterm said:

🙂

Boy did I learn my lesson. 

Lesson 1: Some people need not to miss their naps.

Lesson 2: Stay on the path; grouse about the wine list, someone's Hawaiian shirt selections, having to endure yet more Beatles, Abba, jeans (oh the horror), flip-flops (try Oofos, they're my favorite), those little soaps, and of course, dogs.

Lesson 3: Don't inject something that might actually be interesting, because someone is going to snark away and point out that an idiot billionaire can afford to lose $20+ million (which is more than I make in a WEEK).

Lesson 4: No matter WHAT you post, there's always someone who knows more than you do; it's a rule, and just deal with it.

I ventured off the beaten path, and will try not to do it again. So for my next topic, I'll bring up the fact that some people actually walk the WRONG WAY on the 2nd-deck promenade. Who do I talk to?

Ive been walking the wrong way ever since I got my fake knees......🥃

BTW,. try OluKai sandals.  The world's best flip flops...🍹

Edited by Jim Avery

51 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Ive been walking the wrong way ever since I got my fake knees......🥃

BTW,. try OluKai sandals.  The world's best flip flops...🍹

I looked at them, and they look really nice; the soles are leather though, and I assume a little stiffer than Oofos, whose soles are a soft spongy stuff that's the most comfortable I've tried so far. On my 2nd pair... and they're so stylish (he added sarcastically, knowing there are people who for some reason hate flip-flops).

I may have to try some though, since you recommend them so highly; how are the soles, are they pretty firm?

Flip-flops are one of the great benefits of being semi-retired. I only put on shoes under great duress.

3 minutes ago, longterm said:

I looked at them, and they look really nice; the soles are leather though, and I assume a little stiffer than Oofos, whose soles are a soft spongy stuff that's the most comfortable I've tried so far. On my 2nd pair... and they're so stylish (he added sarcastically, knowing there are people who for some reason hate flip-flops).

I may have to try some though, since you recommend them so highly; how are the soles, are they pretty firm?

Flip-flops are one of the great benefits of being semi-retired. I only put on shoes under great duress.

They do have a few models that are some form of rubber.  They are form fitting and supportive like good shoes.  I have pairs of their shoes too.  Some of them 20 years old and not worn out yet.  I have a black pair of flips that counts as formal wear in Arizona.

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

They do have a few models that are some form of rubber.  They are form fitting and supportive like good shoes.  I have pairs of their shoes too.  Some of them 20 years old and not worn out yet.  I have a black pair of flips that counts as formal wear in Arizona.

I may have to give them a try then!

OK, so--flip-flops in Manfredi's and Chef's Table? Ready, set, go! 🤣

Edited by longterm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1