New to Norwegian- Help Needed

Booman14

Hello,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I am new to Norwegian and had a few questions about reserving a Club Balcony Suites.

First, is there any benefit to getting a Club Balcony Suite over a standard balcony?  It is almost the same price, so I thought I might try it, but I do not know anything about this room type.  It will be just my wife and myself.  Is this room made for more than just 2 people? 

Are there any perks to getting this room?  Priority boarding? Reservations? ect?

We are taking a cruise to Alaska; is there any suggestions you have for the Norwegian Encore and just going to Alaska in general?

Thanks for your help.... 

2 hours ago, Booman14 said:

Hello,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I am new to Norwegian and had a few questions about reserving a Club Balcony Suites.

First, is there any benefit to getting a Club Balcony Suite over a standard balcony?  It is almost the same price, so I thought I might try it, but I do not know anything about this room type.  It will be just my wife and myself.  Is this room made for more than just 2 people? 

Are there any perks to getting this room?  Priority boarding? Reservations? ect?

We are taking a cruise to Alaska; is there any suggestions you have for the Norwegian Encore and just going to Alaska in general?

Thanks for your help.... 

This is from the NCL page, it lists the amenities that come with a Club Balcony room. https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/minisuites-and-balconies

You also get one free bag of laundry in Club Balcony. And room service breakfast at no charge. The laundry was a good perk for us. And, thanks to this Board I learned how to squeeze the most clothes into that tiny paper bag they give you!

• Like 1

We had a club balcony suite on the Escape. The bathroom was nice with a large shower and two sinks, if the room itself was larger, I didn't notice it, so would not have been much larger.

We received "treats" twice on the trip - cookies and strawberries. Had one laundry bag free and think the bottle of champagne was for the club balcony, but could have been from something else I guess. To me the biggest benefit was the larger balcony. Had two loungers and two regular chairs and a table. If the price is similar I would do it just for the balcony, nicer bathroom and laundry, but I use my balcony a lot.

• Like 1

The larger balcony sounds great.  That in itself would make it worth the extra cost. We are going to Alaska, so we will be on the balcony a lot.  

Quick question- we booked the starboard side of the ship because we heard it was the side to be on to see the sights.  Is this true?  

19 minutes ago, Booman14 said:

The larger balcony sounds great.  That in itself would make it worth the extra cost. We are going to Alaska, so we will be on the balcony a lot

Balcony size can vary. Some are larger/deeper/wider than others even within the same category and location. 

28 minutes ago, Booman14 said:

The larger balcony sounds great.  That in itself would make it worth the extra cost. We are going to Alaska, so we will be on the balcony a lot.  

Quick question- we booked the starboard side of the ship because we heard it was the side to be on to see the sights.  Is this true?  

I’m assuming that the poster above was in one of the club balcony suites with large balcony on deck 8 (category M6). Those balconies are huge, but most club balcony suites have fairly standard sized balconies.

• Like 1

The club balcony cabins I've been on, only had the regular sized balcony. The cabin is slightly bigger, and to get a larger balcony you have to choose the large balcony option. Just be aware, most cabins with large balconies stick out enough so everyone above you can see down on you. Most of the balcony isn't covered either.

yes, i have to agree.. an oversized balcony is not the norm for a garden variety "club balcony suite."

most have perfectly ordinary balconies, big enough to accommodate two chairs and a small table or one lounge chair and a small table.

2 hours ago, genealogyfan said:

Just be aware, most cabins with large balconies stick out enough so everyone above you can see down on you.

This.  I was a deck or two above a "large balcony" and made a mental note to NEVER intentionally book one!  And a word to the wise - if you do have one, DO NOT go out on the balcony and smoke!!!  You are in full view of probably a dozen or so passengers above you who can - and probably will- report you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Twocoasts said:

You also get one free bag of laundry in Club Balcony. And room service breakfast at no charge. The laundry was a good perk for us. And, thanks to this Board I learned how to squeeze the most clothes into that tiny paper bag they give you!

I do not think free room service is included in these cabins.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, julig22 said:

This.  I was a deck or two above a "large balcony" and made a mental note to NEVER intentionally book one!  And a word to the wise - if you do have one, DO NOT go out on the balcony and smoke!!!  You are in full view of probably a dozen or so passengers above you who can - and probably will- report you.

I think on almost every cruise ship you are not allowed to smoke on your balcony, just designated areas, so good for everyone reporting it. So dangerous and selfish for those people for smoking on their balcony or other places they aren't allowed on cruise ships.

Edited by genealogyfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Booman14 said:

It all depends on the itinerary.  If you are a OW southbound to Vancouver you would looking at all ocean when you are out in the open ocean. Northbound of course you would facing land when in the open ocean.  Just about anytime you are in the inside passage it would not matter as you are pretty much surrounded by land.  Most people think of the inside passage as the area between Vancouver Island and the mainland but it's also includes Alaska when you are not in the open ocean.  If on a round trip from say Seattle northbound you would be facing the land and southbound you are looking out to sea when in the open ocean.  If you are cruising Glacier Bay they will turn the ship, usually multiple times when viewing each glacier. 

I could be wrong but I believe the ships that have commentary the commentary is based on the starboard side, that's maybe why you got that advice of which side to be on.  I know I had read about here on CC so hopefully someone will correct me if I am mistaken.  However, if that's the case, any time you are viewing glaciers do not stay in your cabin the entire time.  Make sure to view them from up high in the ship and also down low as they look so much different depending on where you view them.  On our trip in 2016 Seattle R/T on the Pearl they opened the bow of the ship for glacier viewing and it was a great view. 

Hope that helps.

We have stayed in a large balcony room a few times. Yes a large part is uncovered, and if you are standing at the railing or spreading out on the balcony then you are in view of many cabins above. However, there is still a lot of balcony which is covered so you can certainly sit out there without being in view.

58 minutes ago, Twocoasts said:

It is for breakfast. Not all day. At least it was last year.

i rarely eat breakfast. and i rarely do room service. and never for breakfast. but i thought continental breakfast selections are available "free" for every cabin. is that not the case?

5 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i rarely eat breakfast. and i rarely do room service. and never for breakfast. but i thought continental breakfast selections are available "free" for every cabin. is that not the case?

Not anymore.  Breakfast is $4.95 + 20% gratuity.  But you can also get a hot breakfast now.  Changed a few months ago.  

Thank you everyone for all the comments and suggestions.  It is very much appreciated... 

We have never been to Alaska and we have never been on Norwegian before, so we are really looking forward to the cruise. 

For those who have been on Norwegian and Carnival, what is the largest difference you see between the two companies?