Ft Lauderdale closed-how to get from Orlando to Miami?

Linsuesue

Well, the storm of a lifetime has closed Ft Lauderdale Airport. 10 people from our group were scheduled to fly into Ft. Lauderdale compliments of NCL Air. Once you are within 72 hours of departure, NCL Air says you have to make arrangements yourself with the airlines. Southwest says they have no flights from PHX -Miami of Friday or Saturday so a couple from our group are being flown to Orlando. Does anyone here have suggestions for getting from Orlando Airport to Miami? Is there a train, shuttle buses all the time, and NCL desk in the airport that can help? All suggestions welcomed!

8 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

Well, the storm of a lifetime has closed Ft Lauderdale Airport. 10 people from our group were scheduled to fly into Ft. Lauderdale compliments of NCL Air. Once you are within 72 hours of departure, NCL Air says you have to make arrangements yourself with the airlines. Southwest says they have no flights from PHX -Miami of Friday or Saturday so a couple from our group are being flown to Orlando. Does anyone here have suggestions for getting from Orlando Airport to Miami? Is there a train, shuttle buses all the time, and NCL desk in the airport that can help? All suggestions welcomed!

FLL will open tomorrow at 5am. From Orlando airport you can rent a car and drive to Miami (about 4 hours).

• Like 2

If you have travel insurance, you may be covered for the cost of a flight.

Otherwise:  Fly the bus?

https://www.redcoachusa.com/ or

FlixBus: Convenient and affordable bus travel in the US from $4.99

I've taken Flixbus several times and it was fine.  Website is a little tricky to understand because they show all point-to-point combinations not on a route map.

This comes pretty close to door-to-door service.  Probably will need a 10 minute Lyft ride for the last mile from Downtown Miami to the port.

image.thumb.png.a598bc8debd2060d7180673b8b9fcc6b.png

Best of luck.

You might also consider posting the question on the Port of Miami forum.  Presumably this will affect people on all cruise lines out of FLL and Miami ports.  Which is a lot of people, so act quickly.

Edited by zzdoug
added Flixbus screen shot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gee so much for NCL air.  Big help..

Best to do your own thing.

I would fly to Orlando and get a rental car and reserve it ASAP

I am lucky I missed the storm as I fly to FLL next Thursday,  I mean so many things get in the way of trips but gosh 20 inches of rain in one darn day.  wow.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I am lucky I missed the storm as I fly to FLL next Thursday,  I mean so many things get in the way of trips but gosh 20 inches of rain in one darn day.  wow.  

I heard 26 inches..?  I imagine anyone flying into FLL is going to have to deal with this whether or not they made their reservations with NCL air.  If I had booked my own ticket and the airport was closed, I too would have to call the airline and wait on hold for them to rebook me somewhere.  And then deal with my trip insurance to claim the cost of ground transportation.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, zzdoug said:

If you have travel insurance, you may be covered for the cost of a flight.

Otherwise:  Fly the bus?

https://www.redcoachusa.com/ or

FlixBus: Convenient and affordable bus travel in the US from $4.99

I've taken Flixbus several times and it was fine.  Website is a little tricky to understand because they show all point-to-point combinations not on a route map.

This comes pretty close to door-to-door service.  Probably will need a 10 minute Lyft ride for the last mile from Downtown Miami to the port.

image.thumb.png.a598bc8debd2060d7180673b8b9fcc6b.png

Best of luck.

You might also consider posting the question on the Port of Miami forum.  Presumably this will affect people on all cruise lines out of FLL and Miami ports.  Which is a lot of people, so act quickly.

Thank you so much for posting this and so quickly too! Unfortunately, it looks like the last Flixbus leaves MCO @ 4:00. Her flight doesnt get in until 6:45. Flixbus to Miami airport would have been perfect too..

29 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Believe me, this will be the first and last time any of us use NCL Air. It has been one problem after another. 

Last April, American Airlines cancelled our flight from PHX—Tampa within 12 hours of departure. It was awful! We scrambled for hours trying to figure out how to get to Tampa. I feel their pain for sure! By the time I stumbled on the cruise ship, I thought I would collapse. First it was covid,  ship rules, country rules, now airline problems. Booking any vacation isnt as relaxing as it once was.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

Believe me, this will be the first and last time any of us use NCL Air. It has been one problem after another. 

I have heard the same about Princess, Celebrity and others.

All cruise lines will give you the lesser desired flights just like they do with guaranteed rooms.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

Thank you so much for posting this and so quickly too! Unfortunately, it looks like the last Flixbus leaves MCO @ 4:00. Her flight doesnt get in until 6:45. Flixbus to Miami airport would have been perfect too..

Sorry to hear that.  A Lyft reservation at that time seems to be about $250 on up depending on the type of car you request.  But that covers 4 people and door-to-door so not bad if she has someone to share the ride with.  Maybe someone from Florida knows about a shuttle service but I don't.

Edited by zzdoug
  • Like 1

Also feel your pain. I once had a similar experience and  it did not end well.

If I were you, I would find any airport in south Florida that had rental cars available as soon as possible and deal with insurance later.

Did you check Fort Myers airport?

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean said today they are monitoring flights into FLL for this weekend and will work on fixing anyone they booked with their program if they can might be extremely difficult with the amount of flights that got canceled.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, afurman said:

Royal Caribbean said today they are monitoring flights into FLL for this weekend and will work on fixing anyone they booked with their program if they can might be extremely difficult with the amount of flights that got canceled.  

I would be scrambling to change my own flight instead of waiting for leftovers.

1 hour ago, FLAlaska said:

Airport just announced they pushed the opening to 9am and its raining again. 

Someone just sent a news headline to our traveler that the airport will be open at 5:00 and they are going to add more flights. 🤦‍♀️ 

2 minutes ago, Linsuesue said:

Someone just sent a news headline to our traveler that the airport will be open at 5:00 and they are going to add more flights. 🤦‍♀️ 

Update #8 from the airport is 9 am as mentioned above.

• Thanks 1

Even if you have a rental car reserved from Orlando, don't assume you will get it for a 1-way rental. Still shortages and with what everyone is trying to do, the cars would be in South FL. They may allow 1-week round-trip rentals, but don't expect 1-way. 

Hope everything works out. This is why everyone has a driving option in plan. 

• Like 1