Signing in, I got a notice that the username would be phased out

3 hours ago, spearmint said:

Signing in, I got a notice that the username would be phased out; instead one would use email address.  Why? I rather liked the anonymity of the username.  Is there a thread that explains this?

Thanks,

Bill

@spearmint

Bill,

I'm with Essiesmom, sounds like spam or malware.

Cruise Critic has always tried to protect member privacy. The instructions for the registration process clearly states Do not use email address as user name. Everyone starts out on a level playing field on Cruise Critic. Anonymous user names only.

To verify, send an email to help@cruisecritic.com from your Cruise Critic email address of record and mention your user name. This is so your membership can be verified, and any reply will be sent to your Cruise Critic email address of record. If your current Cruise Critic email address of record is not correct and needs to be updated before you send your email, please click the following: How To: Update your Cruise Critic Email Address

Happy sails,

Host Kat

I’ve been getting it too.  Log in with Touch ID and it’s so quick you can just barely see red text before logging in.  I had to take a pic during log-in to read it. 

It DOES refer people to Cruise critic help mail - Would like clarification on this board, please

@CC Help Jenn, @Laura S, I think I found answer in post #5

0E350145-0C0B-4A69-90B5-53B5AE4B1CDF.png

Edited by ocean sounds

2 hours ago, ocean sounds said:

I just saw this from Laura S on announcements on right side of ipad screen.  It is true!

See second paragraph. (But I would not call this good news)

@CC Help Jenn, @Laura S is this correct below?

25780EB7-9D08-4ABC-A440-2DA0696C4CA0.png

Wasn’t sure I remembered which email I used - But @Laura S announcement showed how to find (and even update) the email address. So it may be a good thing after all.  As long as we don’t need to change password too. 

So sorry about my previous post in this thread. :classic_blush: No one gave me notice regarding the future change utilizing email address instead of member name to log into Cruise Critic.

To all reading this thread, CC Help Jenn now has other job duties & is no longer using help@cruisecritic.com. That email address is now for @CC Help Michell Community Support Assistant.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Host Kat said:

So sorry about my previous post in this thread. :classic_blush: No one gave me notice regarding the future change utilizing email address instead of member name to log into Cruise Critic.

To all reading this thread, CC Help Jenn now has other job duties & is no longer using help@cruisecritic.com. That email address is now for @CC Help Michell Community Support Assistant.

Is it just to login, (hopefully) or is it used as your screen name (I sincerely hope not)?

Well folks, hopefully the following will be helpful. It is what we Hosts rec'd  4/18/23:

Good morning everyone!

I hope wherever you are spring has sprung and you are enjoying lovely weather!

I wanted to give you a head's up that over the next few weeks we are transitioning to a system requiring everyone to log into the boards using the email address in their profile, rather than their user name.  This is for log in only; posts will still carry the user name and no email is visible onsite to the public unless a member chooses to post their email address (which we do strongly discourage).  

Right now we have an announcement running on the right side of forum pages (in green), and when folks log in they are notified that in the next several weeks email log in rather than user name will be required.  Eventually that will change to a prompt to log in with their email and user names won't work.

This change is due to some transitions on our site to a SSO system.  So all members, including all of us, will be logging in with the email attached to our user names.

We've asked via announcements for all members to check their emails in their profiles and to update them if needed.  The big news on that is that updating email addresses is now a self-serve thing!  

Here is Laura's post about how to check your email address, and update it if needed:  

If you have any problems with this or need help from me, please let me know!

As always, thanks again for all you do!

Michell

You can reach CC Help Michell, Community Support Assistant, at help@cruisecritic.com. Send the email from your current Cruise Critic email address of record and mention your user name.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 1

Thanks all,

My email address of record no longer exists (for many years now) and since I posted this topic, have requested an email change.  Still, if I manage to check, the old one is still in use.  I even received an email from CC  to this effect, but still the email has not changed. I will try again to see what happens.

I was thrown off with the first couple of responses, including a Host monitor, that the request was most likely spam or malware. That really threw me off, especially when the notice came up every single time I logged in. Thankfully, Host Kat eventually was able to note that spam/malware is not an issue here, as I had already tried to change my email prior to these responses.

While I was writing my last post, I also tried to again to change my email.  I got the same response from CC and again followed the instructions.  Lo and behold, my current email is now my official one with the site. 

I will have to check with the assigned person "MIchel" at the help site, as I might be just as confused about my original question as I was then, ...I think ...maybe... perhaps.... ummm......

If I have the thing correct: I enter the site using my email rather than my username (spearmint).  But, I will be greeted as "spearmint" rather than my email address when I am using the site. My original password with the "spearmint" moniker will stay the same.

Can a host tell me if I am correct?

I also have had problems after logging in.  I "wander around" on the site trying to recall how to use it, (and say get to a roll call for my next cruise) and  then, when and if I manage to get back to this topic, I am told I must sign in. So I log in again and can use this topic.  Am I doing something wrong? It has been 6 years since I have cruised and also used the site, so am totally rusty in usage these days...

Bill

Again, thanks for all the replies from members plus host Kat.  Nothing has changed in this regard; I always can count on CC people for help!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 6:34 PM, gnome12 said:

Is it just to login, (hopefully) or is it used as your screen name (I sincerely hope not)?

I’m signed in right now with my email - and it still displays as my User Name. 

Edited by ocean sounds

7 hours ago, spearmint said:

If I have the thing correct: I enter the site using my email rather than my username (spearmint).  But, I will be greeted as "spearmint" rather than my email address when I am using the site. My original password with the "spearmint" moniker will stay the same.

Can a host tell me if I am correct?

@spearmint

Howdy again Bill!

Please note what CC Help Michell states in my post #12 above, especially the part I have in bold:

I wanted to give you a head's up that over the next few weeks we are transitioning to a system requiring everyone to log into the boards using the email address in their profile, rather than their user name.  This is for log in only; posts will still carry the user name and no email is visible onsite to the public unless a member chooses to post their email address (which we do strongly discourage).  

7 hours ago, spearmint said:

I also have had problems after logging in.  I "wander around" on the site trying to recall how to use it, (and say get to a roll call for my next cruise) and  then, when and if I manage to get back to this topic, I am told I must sign in. So I log in again and can use this topic.  Am I doing something wrong? It has been 6 years since I have cruised and also used the site, so am totally rusty in usage these days...

You are not alone. Other members experienced the same thing last summer. Perhaps the pinned thread by LauraS, Senior Manager Community, toward the top of the first page of this forum will be helpful:

Hope this additional information will be helpful!

Host Kat

Host Kat,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my topic. I certainly appreciate your help.  Today, I used my email address and my normal password to enter the site and it worked. 

Next I am going to follow your reference to Host Laura to see about "cookies".

Bill

• Thanks 1

Host Kat and others-

One of the side-effects or "perks" of signing in with my email rather than a username, is that if someone responds to a topic that I started I get email(s) telling me that someone has responded to whichever new post I began.  Then, I can click on the topic and get taken right to the boards to see what is there on the topic.  I find that I quite like that feature.

I have to sign in though to do much more than read the comments to my post. Just thought that you might like to be aware of this feature.

Bill

6 hours ago, spearmint said:

... if someone responds to a topic that I started I get email(s) telling me that someone has responded to whichever new post I began.  Then, I can click on the topic and get taken right to the boards to see what is there on the topic...

@spearmint

Yes, that is the way it works... according to how you have set your Notifications.

Personally, I no longer use email for Cruise Critic notifications. I have all mine set to Notification List. Then when I first login to Cruise Critic, I just click the Notifications Bell (to the left of my user name over the small Search bubble) to get the clickable list for all of mine. Works for me & I love the fact I am not drowning in emails!

Click your user name located upper right over the small Search bubble in the blue bar. Next, click Account Settings. Under Other Settings, click Notification Settings. On the next page to appear, click Mentions & My Content and Followed ContentClick the little down arrow to open each section and make sure each item is set for your preference. 

Also, click this link:  Manage Followed Content You will see a list for Topics I Follow.

• To the right of each topic you can select change preference and make your choice OR you can completely unfollow the topic.  
  • You can also check the boxes next to each topic to make changes to multiple topic notification preferences at once.
  • If you use our Gallery Feature, make sure to look at the left of the page when you are viewing your managed content.  There is a menu there to select the tabs for albums and images to choose how you receive notifications for items you follow there.

6 hours ago, spearmint said:

I have to sign in though to do much more than read the comments to my post...

Yes, all members have to be logged in to start a new thread or to post a reply on an existing thread. Especially our Roll Calls since they are for members only. Anyone can browse our boards, but they must be registered and logged in to read and post.

When I first became a Host, this Help forum was the only forum that did allow new threads to be started by someone that was not a member or a non-logged in member. It was that way to help everyone. I think that ceased on this forum a loooong time ago.