Celebrity Apex - StarLink speed

Jim_Iain

I checked the Millie and Solstice with SpeedSmart several times a day with premium wifi, it seemed to average around 2.0mbps down, almost never broke 4mbps even at 1030pm.  Carnival's newest ship the celebration average 55mbps down.  With that being said, it FAR BETTER than before as it was unable (pages failed to load) if under .7mbps, anything below 1.0mbps was annoyingly slow

4/21/2023.  halfway back to Fort Lauderdale with Cuba off to Starboard. 

Speeds steady but Jitter is high. 

Techno Nerd Time: What does Jitter mean?

Information is transported from your computer in data packets across the internet. They are usually sent at regular intervals and take a set amount of time. Jitter is when there is a time delay in the sending of these data packets over your network connection. This is often caused by network congestion, and sometimes route changes.

Basically - when high lots of people using the internet at the same time. 

IMG_2426.thumb.png.5446393c86254f15bd66779787eb8e05.png

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Jim,  It looks like you changed the app that you are using for the Internet speed test.  Which app are you using now

Same program Ookla.     I have just been pressing Details link under download speed in small print.   Gives more information than the quick view. 

15 hours ago, Gaynors said:

I'll try to post our speeds on the Connie over the next 5 days as we leave Bermuda and head to Madeira.

Fantastic. I hope we get some one to capture on Basic plan, but I understand they can’t access CC so probably couldn’t post. 

Onboard Celebrity Millennium sailing past Cuba onn our way to Cartagena.

Sitting on my balcony enjoying the smooth seas

IMG_8480.thumb.jpeg.196f6f3ccc21e31291ee3a2fc2970a53.jpeg

Slowest performance so far but still very usable.

IMG_8481.png

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re currently on the Eclipse heading from Sydney to Bay of Islands near NZ and our premium service has been very acceptable since we boarded the ship 5 days ago. I just took the below Ookla test.

IMG_8696.jpeg.a114f98ddb758970851db2cc215a09af.jpeg

Thanks for sharing, how am I going to mine bitcoin on my next sailing with snail-slow speeds like this???  🤣

• Haha 1

I posted this on another thread and thought would post here also. 

Enjoying the posts.   OK - I'll admit I'm a techno nerd that lives in the middle of Silicon Valley and have a Gig+ Fiber unlimited data connection.

We do cruise a lot and since the resumption of cruising have been on Eclipse, Summit, Solstice and now Apex.  Solstice brought  Starlilnk Live on the December 3, 2022.    I know there are lots of tests done on that Live thread but would almost be impossible to find as it was a lively Live post.

I'm sure we all have different technology background and expectations.   I would really enjoy hearing especially from those that are complaining of their experience and expectation.

It is important to understand that speed is just one measurement that will impact you experience.   If you click on the detail view of the Speed Test by Ookla which I find the best for speed tests.  

One thing to look at is the Packet Loss % -   A couple days ago for a short period we were experiencing as high as 25% packet Loss  -  That will be a major impact

Another important number to look at under each speed is Jitter -  the high and low is variation of packet speeds.   This is caused by the number of guests that are all sending and receiving data at the same time.  Basically it's network congestion.  Another example would be if you are on a Zoom Call and you son is playing a high data usage came Zoom starts pixelating .

Finally as many have said signal strength to the Router.    In many of the suites you have a router/access point in your room is either on the wall or ceiling.   If you don't have one in your room - open your door and look up and down the hallway and look for the access point on the ceiling or wall.   Like at home the closer you are to the router the higher your speed.  

This is what my access point looks like in my room.  

IMG_2516.thumb.jpeg.99bad4b0a304141e0d379a6e6bb3ec4a.jpeg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re currently on the Eclipse heading from Sydney to Bay of Islands near NZ and our premium service has been very acceptable since we boarded the ship 5 days ago. I just took the below Ookla test.

IMG_8696.jpeg.a114f98ddb758970851db2cc215a09af.jpeg

Thanks Ken.    
You are a heavy user with your enjoyable live post.  I’ve been getting a bit better and very happy on Apex in Caribbean. 

We just left on TA heading to Bermuda 🇧🇲 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks for sharing, how am I going to mine bitcoin on my next sailing with snail-slow speeds like this???  🤣

Fortunately coin mining is not dependent on Internet speed soyou should be okay. 

• Haha 1