Breakfast and lunch in dining room?

Next week we are on our first cruise since the lockdowns, and look forward to seeing what changes have been made.  In the past we enjoyed breakfast and lunch in the dining room. Do they still offer this an option?

I think they serve breakfast every day in the main dining room.  Lunch is not always available when the ship is in port.

The best way to plan in advance is to download the app.  The app has all of the menus for every day in the dining room.

• Like 1

Also, on some ships on some sea days they do a brunch instead of a breakfast and lunch. I think from like 9:00 to 1:00. On my last Enchantment cruise they did brunch once and breakfast and lunch twice over the course of three sea days.

Edited by Rubyfisch
Added details
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, KyleDefends said:

The best way to plan in advance is to download the app.  The app has all of the menus for every day in the dining room.

I checked the app before I posted this question, but only found dinner options. Perhaps I looked in the wrong place?

7 minutes ago, CavePearl said:

I checked the app before I posted this question, but only found dinner options. Perhaps I looked in the wrong place?

When is your cruise?  It may, I say again may be too early to post detailed menus.  I don't cruise until Jan 2024 and it doesn't show any menu, even for the Specialty restaurants, just general descriptions.  

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

When is your cruise?  It may, I say again may be too early to post detailed menus.  I don't cruise until Jan 2024 and it doesn't show any menu, even for the Specialty restaurants, just general descriptions.  

We leave this Saturday on the Adventure. We've cruised a lot in the past (we are D+), but this is our first time using the app, and our first cruise post-covid. So, we are in learning mode!

6 minutes ago, CavePearl said:

We leave this Saturday on the Adventure. We've cruised a lot in the past (we are D+), but this is our first time using the app, and our first cruise post-covid. So, we are in learning mode!

I looked in the app and I don't see lunch listed nor are dinner menus listed for traditional dining on deck 3 or deck 4.  But based on your itinerary, lunch should be served in the MDR on day 2 and day 5.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CavePearl said:

I hear ya.  Just play around with it and discover.  I don't think you can break anything.  For me, the fun is finding out new features that I didn't know exists and there are a lot of helpful people in this forum.  

When you first login, at the bottom of the screen you will see the buttons for "Dining", "Excursions", "Beverages", and so on.  Tap the "Dining" button and pick the venue(s) you want.  If you scroll down to the bottom of the description of the venue, it MAY have the option to see the full and current menu.  It's been a while for me so I'm not too sure what if any has changed.  Good luck and most of all, ENJOY THE CRUISE!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CavePearl said:

The app is not correct for menus and a lot of other things until you board.  You can change the date to the current weeks sailing to give you a better idea

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I hear ya.  Just play around with it and discover.  I don't think you can break anything.  For me, the fun is finding out new features that I didn't know exists and there are a lot of helpful people in this forum.  

When you first login, at the bottom of the screen you will see the buttons for "Dining", "Excursions", "Beverages", and so on.  Tap the "Dining" button and pick the venue(s) you want.  If you scroll down to the bottom of the description of the venue, it MAY have the option to see the full and current menu.  It's been a while for me so I'm not too sure what if any has changed.  Good luck and most of all, ENJOY THE CRUISE!

Thank you! We are really looking forward to our return to cruising. Our last time was on the cute little Majesty of the Seas out of NOLA, Feb 2020. We got back home several days before the world locked down. It's been so long and there have been enough changes that we feel a bit like newbies!

• Like 2

We enjoyed breakfast and lunch in the Main Dining Room on Allure last week. I think breakfast always had a similar menu from one day to the next. Lunch changed, and we did have at least one day with the brunch that @Rubyfisch mentioned. That might have been our cancelled-port-turned-into-a-sea-day day, I can't really remember. The only place that I saw the beloved Apple Blossom dessert was one day in the MDR!

I'm surprised that your menus aren't up. Usually they have finalized them so close to your sailing. I did take a peek at the current sailing and the menus are posted there. They look similar to our lunch menus on Allure so yours will probably be similar as well. 

I'm going to assume each ship is different and there are changes in the menu right up until sail date, distribution issues, and all.  As a general rule, lol.. lunch is only on sea days, BUT we only glance at this as we don't do MDR for lunch, this is from memory. Breakfast was everyday in the usual fashion of walk in and be seated with a group. However sure as I am typing this, someone had a different experience.  Wish I could nail it down further for you prior to sailing. 

Thank you all for the input! You've been very helpful, and it sounds like the consensus is that with all the changes the last few years some things are still the same. We were wondering if the cutbacks might have changed more than just menus. Now we know!

3 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

I have never seen lunch on port days.  Breakfast is always, timed to port.

I'm on Independence in a week and the app says breakfast every day in MDR (the time varies) and lunch only on the sea day, no doubt to relieve crowding in WJ.  If the weather turns bad and they skip Nassau and/or CocoCay then I'd expect they would add lunches in MDR as needed.  Of course if the weather is that bad, lots of people might be too sick to eat.

1 minute ago, garywatson said:

I'm on Independence in a week and the app says breakfast every day in MDR (the time varies) and lunch only on the sea day, no doubt to relieve crowding in WJ.  If the weather turns bad and they skip Nassau and/or CocoCay then I'd expect they would add lunches in MDR as needed.  Of course if the weather is that bad, lots of people might be too sick to eat.

Exactly, no lunch on port days, breakfast varies.

5 minutes ago, slyster said:

Off topic a bit but I saw discussion about the app being updated with menus.  How far before sailing are the dining menus available for your cruise?

It may depend on the ship. For our Allure sailing, it was available months before, but she had switched over to the new menus where there isn't really any variation. She just does the exact same length and itinerary each week. 

51 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If you want a somewhat accurate menu listing, set the app to the current sailing of your ship.

Thank you. I didn’t realize I could see them before the cruise!