Volendam promenade chairs

tartanmom

Have been on many of the HAL ships but never the Volendam. We are considering the 12 day Mexico and Sea of Cortez holiday cruise and I have a question with regards to availability of promenade chairs for those not booked in the lanai cabins (which are apparently sold out). The promenade deck chairs are my happy place every afternoon for a few hours before dinner. With some of the chairs reserved for those in lanai cabins, how hard is it to fine two chairs side by side in the afternoon? Are there still enough chairs for other passengers?

I was on Volendam in Alaska a year before Covid and we actually had a lanai cabin, which did indeed have two dedicated chairs.  However, there were quite a few other deck chairs at either end of deck 3 (forward and aft).  I don't remember there being any difficulty finding deck chairs, but of course it was a "cold" cruise so perhaps for your intinerary it will be different.  I know sometimes people would sit in our deck chairs presumably unaware that they were dedicated to our lanai, but if we weren't using them that was fine with us.  Perhaps someone who has been on Volendam on a warmer itinerary can chime in. It would be a shame if they didn't put out enough chairs.

Edited by Moriah

The cabins adjacent to the doors are not lanai cabins, so the loungers in front of those cabins are open to all. 
There are a few stretches of cabins that aren't lanai, so those loungers are open, also. 
Besides those areas, there are (or at least were) some offices near the atrium; the loungers outside those are also open seating. 

• Thanks 1

We were on the Veendam with the same setup as the Volendam--loungers reserved for lanai passengers. We had no trouble finding free loungers in the areas of the deck Ruth mentioned. That was true for both a Bermuda cruise in June and a Greek island cruise in May. 

~Maya

I’m on Volendam currently.  There are two different color cushions on the lanai and non-lanai loungers so you know on sight which are which.  I’m not in a lanai and had zero problems finding free loungers today - I was out there three times during the day.  I agree with OP that these loungers afford a wonderful way to spend some time out in the fresh air.

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

The cabins adjacent to the doors are not lanai cabins, so the loungers in front of those cabins are open to all. 
There are a few stretches of cabins that aren't lanai, so those loungers are open, also. 
Besides those areas, there are (or at least were) some offices near the atrium; the loungers outside those are also open seating. 

P.S.

The Easter Bunny brought me Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs.  😇🙃 

(Hope all is well)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, PalmSprings said:

I’m on Volendam currently.  There are two different color cushions on the lanai and non-lanai loungers so you know on sight which are which.  I’m not in a lanai and had zero problems finding free loungers today - I was out there three times during the day.  I agree with OP that these loungers afford a wonderful way to spend some time out in the fresh air.

On Volendam now also, and agree on all points. I spent a couple hours of quality time on one of those yesterday. 

The only ships I’m interested in are the ones that have a proper promenade deck. And when they’re gone, so am I.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vic The Parrot said:

P.S.

The Easter Bunny brought me Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs.  😇🙃 

(Hope all is well)

Nice to see you, Vic. Don't be a stranger! 

16 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

On Volendam now also, and agree on all points. I spent a couple hours of quality time on one of those yesterday. 

The only ships I’m interested in are the ones that have a proper promenade deck. And when they’re gone, so am I.

100% agree. And I also want under 1500 passengers...lol. Sometimes I think my cruising days with HAL are numbered. 

• Like 1