HAL private island beach issues

PC 462

5 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

I believe it is the coral reef around the island that prevents having a channel dredged and a pier erected. The ships equipped with dynamic positioning use that system instead of anchoring to get closer to the island.

That is not accurate.

Construction of a pier was set to begin in 2020 and then covid hit. In the latest quarterly, Weinstein even mentioned that HAL was still planning to  build a pier at Half Moon Cay. No word yet on construction dates.

Here is a topic discussing the pier from just a few weeks ago (we got a bit off topic as so often happens with the good discussions here ;-)). 

And here is an article when the construction was first announced:

https://cruiseradio.net/major-change-coming-to-carnival-cruise-lines-half-moon-cay/

13 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

I was on that cruise.  Weird to hear the "crash call", as we nurse call it, 6 times on that cruise.  Was a cruise to remember in terms of medical incidents.

"Crash call" because the cart with medical supplies the first responders will be running with is known as the "crash cart". The call over the ship's P/A system to alert them as far location on the ship used to be "Bright Star" but was changed to "Medical Response" after Princess took over running HAL's medical dept.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/17/2023 at 7:04 AM, PC 462 said:

But, last Friday, the beach was strewn with pebbles and rocks large enough to twist an ankle. 

We tendered to half moon cay on  3/31/2023 and again on 4/14/2023. We did not experience rocks large enough to twist an ankle. It is a beach, so naturally there will be sand and pebbles. This is a picture of some laughing gulls on half moon cay, and you can see the size of the coral that had washed on to the beach here and there. I could tell the gulls were commenting on it, and they were careful to walk around the coral pieces. I am sure they were laughing also. The coral wasnt everywhere, and certainly not enough for it to dampen my day.  

image.thumb.png.046fd2d4433ba0f7b4cf137741765262.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

No medical issues on our Rotterdam sailing in March that we were aware of.  No medical vehicles waiting at any ports of call that we saw.  We have been on sailings where there were medical events requiring evacuation.  One was in Bahamas and the ship was diverted to a port close by.  

Does anyone know if there is a possibility of a dock for Half Moon Cay?  That would help to get more ships to the island.  Still might have issues when winds are above a certain speed or waves higher than 'x' number of feet as I would suspect that any dock would no be fully protected.

I think that your suspicion that a dock would be of little help with high winds is well taken.  We were docked in either a Fiji or a Samoan ports a few years ago.  Fifty people had been allowed to disembark to wander around with their cameras poised.  Unfortunately, about an hour later the winds caused one of the bow lines to break, and the captain had to leave the dock and anchor out a ways until all the wanderers could be rounded up.  It took until noon.  It was rather entertaining to watch them, from the safety of the Lido deck, being re-embarked under those circumstances.  Fortunately, no mishaps; no injuries.

4 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

We tendered to half moon cay on  3/31/2023 and again on 4/14/2023. We did not experience rocks large enough to twist an ankle. It is a beach, so naturally there will be sand and pebbles. This is a picture of some laughing gulls on half moon cay, and you can see the size of the coral that had washed on to the beach here and there. I could tell the gulls were commenting on it, and they were careful to walk around the coral pieces. I am sure they were laughing also. The coral wasnt everywhere, and certainly not enough for it to dampen my day.  

image.thumb.png.046fd2d4433ba0f7b4cf137741765262.png

I was also there on the 14th.  You must have been on Volendam, too.

Your section of the beach looks much nicer than where we were. We were about halfway between the chapel and the pirate ship.

I've always enjoyed Half Moon Cay, and never had a complaint.  I only posted this because my experience was so out of the ordinary for Half Moon Cay.

This was not my first time at a beach, or at Half Moon Cay.  I have experienced rocks, stones and pebbles before, but NEVER before at Half Moon Cay.

It didn't dampen my day either.  Most of my times was spent floating in the water!

And that is a very nice photo, by the way.

The birds may also be laughing because they get to stay there after we leave!

Edited by PC 462

6 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

that is a very nice photo, by the way.

Thanks, we love those laughing gulls and we love going to half moon cay , and I agree, there was a tiny bit of broken coral here and there, but it was a gorgeous day on the 14th, wasn't it? Loved the Volendam as well. What a great ship! This next shot of the beach was past the lifeguard station. 

image.thumb.png.81045a60276f93373ff2140412ae10c8.png

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

"Crash call" because the cart with medical supplies the first responders will be running with is known as the "crash cart". The call over the ship's P/A system to alert them as far location on the ship used to be "Bright Star" but was changed to "Medical Response" after Princess took over running HAL's medical dept.  

I could not remember what they called it on the ship.  As a nurse, it was either a crash call or code blue (or in some places it was "Dr. Strong")

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tuolumne couple said:

Thanks, we love those laughing gulls and we love going to half moon cay , and I agree, there was a tiny bit of broken coral here and there, but it was a gorgeous day on the 14th, wasn't it? Loved the Volendam as well. What a great ship! This next shot of the beach was past the lifeguard station. 

image.thumb.png.81045a60276f93373ff2140412ae10c8.png

Volendam was beautiful!  It was my first cruise on her.  I hope not the last.

Regarding the photo of the birds, they may also be laughing because they get to stay there after we leave!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

I could not remember what they called it on the ship.  As a nurse, it was either a crash call or code blue (or in some places it was "Dr. Strong")

Thank you for your service as a first responder!

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2023 at 11:28 AM, Heartgrove said:

I believe it is the coral reef around the island that prevents having a channel dredged and a pier erected. The ships equipped with dynamic positioning use that system instead of anchoring to get closer to the island.

Thanks for update.  

On 4/19/2023 at 3:10 PM, OlsSalt said:

Two we saw right in front of us - one at the after deck hot tub, another in the Main Dining Room across from us - HAL staff responded promptly and professionally.

We were on the New Years cruise.  I think ambulances met us at every port.  Saw evacs at Loretto and Mazatlan.  We must have been eating next to you because we were at the table next to the emergency.  Crew quickly surrounded the table and held up sheets.

• Like 1