Cheap dinner on Oasis - Would you choose Playmakers or Portside BBQ?

12 hours ago, Big_G said:

Playmakers is great for snacks and drinks but for a meal the food isn't that good and the service was brutal. Portside is counter service, far superior food, and a better atmosphere.

Was this on Oasis? Because in February the service was amazing...its why we kept going back. The servers were awesome (Christian) and the bartenders were not only on top of it, they were super friendly. Our favorite bartender was in Playmakers! (Tatiana) 

1 hour ago, cynt said:

Have you thought about getting the Dining plan? You can eat everywhere as many times as you like.

I did consider it, but I think we’d feel like we had to spend half our time eating to make it worthwhile. There are so many things we want to do and so little time on a 4-day!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

I did consider it, but I think we’d feel like we had to spend half our time eating to make it worthwhile. There are so many things we want to do and so little time on a 4-day!

I came back to offer another suggestion. Solarium Bistro for dinner. It’s really a hidden gem on Oasis and it’s free. Sometimes it’s not available to book in advance but when you board you should be able to book it on the app. The food is delicious if you like Mediterranean cuisine. You choose from a small selection of entrees and order that through a waiter and then help yourself to a huge spread of antipasto, soups, salads and appetizers. It’s all fresh and delicious. I could’ve done without the entree and been just as satisfied with the appetizers.

One other suggestion is Vintages. Their small plates are also fresh and delicious and very affordable.

I always like to eat different foods on vacation than I eat at home so these two suggestions fit that bill. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Yeah, using Oasis-class for a short cruise is like a double-edged sword. Very cool to have such a big ship doing short cruises but there's a lot more to cram in.

Allure will be doing short cruises out of PC (the only port we use b/c it's so close) at some point and I'd consider doing a B2B 3 and 4-night just to go to Coco Cay twice and otherwise enjoy the ship (if the price was right). We did this on Indy last summer and had a great time. It would be even greater on Allure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I came back to offer another suggestion. Solarium Bistro for dinner. It’s really a hidden gem on Oasis and it’s free. Sometimes it’s not available to book in advance but when you board you should be able to book it on the app. The food is delicious if you like Mediterranean cuisine. You choose from a small selection of entrees and order that through a waiter and then help yourself to a huge spread of antipasto, soups, salads and appetizers. It’s all fresh and delicious. I could’ve done without the entree and been just as satisfied with the appetizers.

One other suggestion is Vintages. Their small plates are also fresh and delicious and very affordable.

I have a reservation at Solarium Bistro for night 1. DH and I enjoyed really enjoyed it on Harmony a few years ago. I like the Vintages suggestion. My sister loves wine, so that would be a fun spot. The problem is fitting everything in!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Was this on Oasis? Because in February the service was amazing...its why we kept going back. The servers were awesome (Christian) and the bartenders were not only on top of it, they were super friendly. Our favorite bartender was in Playmakers! (Tatiana) 

Yes. We were on her in January. We're usually bar people but we had other family with us so we sat at tables. Glad you had a good experience.

Edited by Big_G
  • Like 1

Another vote for Portside BBQ! Playmakers wings are pretty good but I would consider them for a snack or lunch. 
On a side note, I’m not sure if they have the Aqua80 show on short cruises or not, but it’s a must see if you have the opportunity! Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

Have eaten at Portside BBQ 10 - 12 times. BBQ is good but never hot. Love the Banana Dream dessert.  There was never an entertainer when we ate - guess we always picked the wrong times.

But my preference is Playmakers. The chicken sandwich and garlic and parmesan fries are exceptional. Top it off with the heavenly Campfire Cookie and that's a winner!!

• Like 1

It's been interesting and helpful to read all the responses to my original post! I'm thinking we'll hit Playmakers for lunch on one of the two sea days. Seems like the burger, chicken sandwich, and wings all have their fans. They all sound great to me, so I'll have to make a game time decision. The garlic parmesan fried are a given for me. I'm not normally a "dessert after lunch" person, but it sounds like I need to make an exception for the campfire cookie!

2 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

I'm not normally a "dessert after lunch" person, but it sounds like I need to make an exception for the campfire cookie!

It's a cruise - normal rules don't apply! Enjoy that campfire cookie after lunch!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikefromny said:

It's a cruise - normal rules don't apply! Enjoy that campfire cookie after lunch!

THIS!

I don't normally eat 6 meals a day and gain 10-12 lbs. in a week...but I sure do on a cruise. 🤣

On 4/19/2023 at 6:52 AM, LisaLisa87 said:

I understand however you're making specialty dinner reservations for all 4 nights. It's probably more cost effective to get the dining plan. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cynt said:

I understand however you're making specialty dinner reservations for all 4 nights. It's probably more cost effective to get the dining plan. 

Solarium Bistro is free and Playmakers/Portside isn't exactly expensive. Would make sense if she was doing all nicer restaurants, yes.

• Like 1

I enjoy spending NFL Sundays at Playmakers and the Crunch Roll w/parmesan fries is my staple there.  Ate the Portside BBQ a few times.  Try to get there when there's no live music playing.  Trying to eat with company and shouting over the amplified guitars and voices was a challenge.

• Like 1

Personally I’d do both and skip Chops.

Playmakers and Portside BBQ are really not similar and a better dining experience than our last two experiences at Chops on Oasis (March) and Harmony (January).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Personally I’d do both and skip Chops.

Playmakers and Portside BBQ are really not similar and a better dining experience than our last two experiences at Chops on Oasis (March) and Harmony (January).

I agree with you about Chops. We skipped it on our last cruise. As of now our dinner plans are as follows:

Night 1: Solarium Bistro

Night 2: 150 CP
Night 3: [Probably] Portside BBQ

Night 4: Giovanni's Table

My sister hasn't been on a cruise in years, and she's never had a great experience on a cruise. I'm feeling a bit of pressure to show her how much fun a cruise can be. With only 4 nights, I'm trying to walk the line between showing her all the amazing things Oasis has to offer and over-programming us. She's super easy going, but she doesn't take many vacations and I want this one to be special!

I appreciate everyone's input!

ETA: I usually sail with DH and DD. My sister and I have never been on a vacation together where it was just the two of us!

Edited by LisaLisa87