How much and How do you pay?

shiner6

I have read that you need cash to use the rest rooms in London as well as Norway. Does anyone know how much and how do you pay? Is there an attendant that you tip?  Thanks in advance. We are sailing to Norway from London soon and I want to order some currencies from my bank to take for this purpose..

I remember when in London, there was a little gate (think of a subway kind of), that you had to drop coins in the correct amount and it would open to let you in (English Coinage, not USA)

Haven't been in Norway

Only time I ever encountered this was actually in Wales and not London and people were holding the door open for the people behind them.  And it was like a 50 pence coin or something. (Do not recall exact denomination.) Sort of like the buggies at Aldi that take a quarter. I have used many gas station bathrooms in the UK and never had an issue.  

There used to be many more of them in London but on our last trip a few years (just pre covid) we noticed they are a limited feature now in the city compared to prior trips.  There were some in the populated tourist areas like Trafalgar Square and the like and they were more like a wet room that is automatically rinsed down once you leave (actually very cool idea).  We will be there for vacation very soon and I will make a mental note to see if there are many left around other areas of the city.  Almost everything inside London is contactless pay since covid so they might have done the same for pay restrooms but if not the cost was very minimal.  

In Norway public toilets in cities and train stations take card (often only cards with a chip). At museums, cafes, etc they are typically free for customers. In high traffic areas, places like McDonald’s may require a code that you can get from the staff.

• 2 weeks later...