Chocolate Melting Cake: Are we alone?

Lee Cruiser

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

Just recalled when reading this thread...the bitter(s?) n blanc is the one I really LOVE!

Yes I like that one too, and the tiramisu.

But my favorite dessert is Baked Alaska.

22 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Just curious to know if anyone is like my wife and me.  We hear lots of folks raging about the chocolate melting cake, but we are not fans.  We have tried it a few times throughout the years (mostly on our first few cruises), but it is not something that we are wild about.  My wife makes a chocolate cobbler that is similar, but tastes much better.  In reality, we are not impressed with many of the desserts in the main dining room.  We usually skip dessert at dinner.  We do like some of the cakes at lunch, but those can be hit or miss depending on the ship.

Honestly, you’re not alone. I just don’t love it. I want to… but it really just reminds me

of undercooked brownie batter. I much prefer the soufflés! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wemjam said:
10 hours ago, LUVMYGSDOG said:

Oh that chocolate cake from room service back when room service was free.  Now that was good chocolate cake!

Kim

YES!!! One of my favorites.

We had our last piece on our Vista cruise back in September.  Didn't get it in January. Is this same cake still on the paid room service?

18 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

I mean I’m all for licking the mixer when making brownies… I just don’t need a whole bowl of it! 

Well I used to fight with my sister over licking the mixer, so I think I just enjoy having my little bowl of brownie batter (um…Chocolate Melting Cake!) on Carnival!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't like it the first time I tried it.  It was basically a cup of melted chocolate sauce with a crust on top.  No cake to be found anywhere.  Then I read that you could request it well-done, so I asked for that on my next cruise and it was WAY better.

Then I tried the Bitter n' Blanc and forgot all about the Chocolate Melting Cake.  I wish they had that on the menu every night.

9 minutes ago, sunshower9 said:

I didn't like it the first time I tried it.  It was basically a cup of melted chocolate sauce with a crust on top.  No cake to be found anywhere.  Then I read that you could request it well-done, so I asked for that on my next cruise and it was WAY better.

Then I tried the Bitter n' Blanc and forgot all about the Chocolate Melting Cake.  I wish they had that on the menu every night.

Mmmmm bitter n blanc!!!

I love the WCMC and I order it Med Rare. I also make a version of it in my Pampered Chef Rice Cooker.

Box of Chocolate Cake mix (usually Devils Food)

Follow box instructions, mixing in rice cooker.

Dump a can of Chocolate Frosting in the center.

Lid goes on top. Cook 10 minutes on high in microwave

Let sit for 5 minutes.  Take lid off.  Place serving plate over top.  Flip over.

Dust with powder sugar, decorate with fresh raspberries or sliced strawberrires.  Serve with a squirt of whipped cream.

Easy peesy yum!!

cake.PNG

Edited by ninjacat123

I haven’t ordered it in years. It tastes like cheap chocolate. Not as bad as the chocolate in the chocolate extravaganza on the buffet but still not very good. It almost grates in my throat when it’s runny. I get the butter n blank and the other one. I mostly love the. creme brûlée. Some of the cakes at lunch are decent. The gelato is pretty decent. But I usually end up getting g something from Cherry on Top to satisfy my sweet craving. 

I used to love it but don’t like the really uncooked version I have had several times.  I’ll have to ask for well done next time around. My favorite way is to either order it with strawberry ice cream instead of vanilla or get the kids banana split and sort of combine them. 

On 4/22/2023 at 9:32 AM, thomasale said:

It's been over 10 years since we cruised Carnival. We have Mardi Gras coming NEXT SATURDAY!  I'm glad to have read this as it's our only vivid memory from The Carnival Triumph. This way we won't have too much built up in advance. I remember our first cruise on HAL many years ago and we were psyched for the Bread Pudding. That was quite the letdown but the candied ginger was a delight cause we knew nothing of it on the way out of the dining room. Sometimes it really is the "little things"

Omgosh so at least 10 for us to - but we have a Mardi Gras Havana Cabana booked for September. My daughter is- like, IDK mom, can we go back? LOL. For ref she last sailed in the Haven and will again next Sunday LOL. 

I haven't decided. I don't eat on Carnival -expert breakfast and the pizza, oh and the Italian. The food, just no. I do like the Havana area!!!! The ports are sad - we have been to them - DR etc.- but I had planned to stay on board. IDK I really want to do Alaska on NCL - but I booked this so long ago. I know that it will be fun though - Carnival is fun, I am just hungry lol. And the drink package is $$$.

Sorry to hijack - just saw we have similar cruising history!

To be honest, I find most of the deserts on the ship kind of meh. The cakes on Lido LOOK fantastic, but always seem to taste rather blah. On a cruise last August, I found some small chocolate chip cookies that were pretty good. Other than that (and the soft serve), the sweets don't do much for me, and that's coming from a large sweet tooth... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thenexus2k said:

To be honest, I find most of the deserts on the ship kind of meh. The cakes on Lido LOOK fantastic, but always seem to taste rather blah. On a cruise last August, I found some small chocolate chip cookies that were pretty good. Other than that (and the soft serve), the sweets don't do much for me, and that's coming from a large sweet tooth... 

I think a lot depends on the ship and the head chef too.  There are ships that almost all the desserts seem outstanding and others where most are blah!  Sailed a few times where the butter cream frosting on every cake tasted like you were eating straight whipped butter, no sweet at all.  Same thing with the cheese cakes.  Some are to die for anothers taste like cardboard.

Never fail for me is the chocolate covered strawberries in the coffee shop.

PS:  My husband tried the peanut butter trick with his melting cake.... however, he finds he loves the butter pecan ice cream with his.  He tried that one night and said its' the best.

Edited by wemjam
  • Thanks 1

I dont mind it once a week or something. But nothing special, and easy to make at home as well if you really like it. Also, basically every other cruise line we have been on has their own version thats similar. Although not every night.