Laundry Wash & Fold versus Back Home Laundry Bag

Joe33472

" Fill up to three bags of laundry during your cruise" is the website offer wording so it doesn't specify that it has to be all together or on last days - I called Celebrity and response was that "I suppose you could use one bag at a time". I've bought 2 packages on that basis for a 12 days cruise for 3 passengers....  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bullswood said:

" Fill up to three bags of laundry during your cruise" is the website offer wording so it doesn't specify that it has to be all together or on last days - I called Celebrity and response was that "I suppose you could use one bag at a time". I've bought 2 packages on that basis for a 12 days cruise for 3 passengers....  

Is this for an upcoming cruise or a cruise that you’ve already taken?  If for the later, did it work out that way that the customer service rep told you?  

When I spoke with customer service this afternoon, the representative put me on hold for a good amount of time.  She told me that she checked her supervisor about the offer so that she could provided the correct information.   The wording is poor and I was thinking I could probably “argue” on the cruise to have the three bags submitted at different times, but at this point in my life, it’s just not worth a few extra dollars. 

39 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Is this for an upcoming cruise or a cruise that you’ve already taken?  If for the later, did it work out that way that the customer service rep told you?  

It's for a cruise later in year but I'm happy that the offer wording doesn't preclude one bag at a time.

On 4/22/2023 at 12:22 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Never done it but that's what it looks like to me, I can't imagine they'd bother with having a different size bag.  This is new (to me at least)...

It should also be noted that we've probably done 20th total bags, twice they came back with an unpleasant smell, first time I we just dealt with it but the second time the cabin attendant agreed and re-washed at no cost...They wash your clothing with other passengers clothing so if their stuff stinks yours probably will too

I am not negating your experience, but I can say that we have done probably 50+ laundry bags and have never, ever had a problem with an unpleasant smell.  In fact we've only ever had one issue with laundry - a pair of black socks that came back faded.  Because of how they do laundry (hot wash and dry with other's laundry) we only send out our less expensive/casual clothes like socks, pj's etc.. Some seem to have luck asking for a cold wash and warm dry, but unless you are in a suite it's not likely to happen (and even then not always unless you are in a high level suite).  

On 5/27/2023 at 3:12 PM, drowelf said:

I'd love to know about that too. I might call customer service and ask, as I'd prefer to do 3 bags at different times, so I can reduce the amount of clothes we bring. Doing 3 bags at the end does not help out as much. 

On a totally different point. Does anyone have a picture or know how big the bag is? How much can you stuff into it. I know on Holland America, we could stuff quite a lot of shirts, underwear and socks into the bags they provide. 

Ok, I found a picture of the bag from back in April on another thread, but without anything by it, I can't tell how big it is. 

IMG_2056.jpeg

The picture was mine and it isn't a laundry bag.   We have Free Zenith Laundry (Same for RS and above)     The pictured parcel is how they return your dainties and socks.    Unlike the Bag and Fold Landry all your socks are matched and dainties folded.

Other items are ironed and on hangers.

41 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am not negating your experience, but I can say that we have done probably 50+ laundry bags and have never, ever had a problem with an unpleasant smell.  In fact we've only ever had one issue with laundry - a pair of black socks that came back faded.  Because of how they do laundry (hot wash and dry with other's laundry) we only send out our less expensive/casual clothes like socks, pj's etc.. Some seem to have luck asking for a cold wash and warm dry, but unless you are in a suite it's not likely to happen (and even then not always unless you are in a high level suite).  

We haven't had any other issues.  If one cares, the best course of action is ask them as I would imagine simply written special requests could be ignored.  I used to write to return the button down shirts on hangers, after several never getting them back on hanger I stopped writing it

We send all our laundry out about every 2 days and never specify special handling except dry cleaning and pressing.  

I’ve never had any thing shrunken, bleached out or damaged.   Normally it includes polos, tshirts, jeans and sweatshirts.   

May have just been lucky. 

im sure woman’s dainties might be different. 

Just off Celebrity Beyond (12 day med cruise) - the 3 bags do NOT need to be put in at the same time.  We purchased 2 individual bags and the individual "back home" package of 3 bags (2 cabins with our adult daughters).  Pricing was a fair bit cheaper when purchased in advance. We received 5 tickets for laundry and used them sporadically throughout the cruise, shared between the 2 cabins.  In the past, we would get laundry within 24 hours - this time it was closer to 36 or 48 hours. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, undrwtr1 said:

Just off Celebrity Beyond (12 day med cruise) - the 3 bags do NOT need to be put in at the same time.  We purchased 2 individual bags and the individual "back home" package of 3 bags (2 cabins with our adult daughters).  Pricing was a fair bit cheaper when purchased in advance. We received 5 tickets for laundry and used them sporadically throughout the cruise, shared between the 2 cabins.  In the past, we would get laundry within 24 hours - this time it was closer to 36 or 48 hours. 

Thanks for the helpful information.   So, how did it work?  Did they just give you five tickets and five laundry bags when you started the cruise? 

On 5/28/2023 at 4:55 AM, photabitha said:

We have just returned from a cruise and pre purchased the laundry package (wash, dry and press).  You can get a lot in that bag!   There is an offer at the moment for pre cruise purchase. We also had further laundry during the cruise all washed and ironed to perfection.  As we are elite plus, we get two bags of wash, dry fold which we took advantage of to come home. 

I would think the 3 bags of laundry would need to be put in at the same time, but not sure on that one.

Where is the wash, dry and PRESS option?  I thought they were all wash, dry and FOLD?

12 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Where is the wash, dry and PRESS option?  I thought they were all wash, dry and FOLD?

I'm seeing a wash and press option under "gifts and gears".   At first I did the 3 bag special.  Then I cancelled and did three wash and fold ($15 more in total).  Now I'm wondering if I'm better off with 2 wash and fold and 1 wash and press.  Or even 1 premium dry cleaning.   

image.thumb.png.263930495d1dd969df1de28a6d9824a9.png

Edited by Joe33472

6 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I'm seeing a wash and press option under "gifts and gears".   At first I did the 3 bag special.  Then I cancelled and did three wash and fold ($15 more in total).  Now I'm wondering if I'm better off with 2 wash and fold and 1 wash and press.  Or even 1 premium dry cleaning.   

image.thumb.png.263930495d1dd969df1de28a6d9824a9.png

Thanks, I had to dig in to find that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe33472 said:

Thanks for the helpful information.   So, how did it work?  Did they just give you five tickets and five laundry bags when you started the cruise? 

5 Tickets along with our excursion tickets were in our cabin at beginning of cruise (the 3 pack deal tickets looked just a bit different from the regular ones).  Bag is in the closet and you get the bag back with your cleaned clothes.  Attendant will get you another bag if you want to do more at once.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, undrwtr1 said:

Thanks for your report that the three bags per package can be used at different times - we plan to hand in one of our six every couple of days over the 12 day cruise. That confirms what Celebrity customer services told me but in view of the above doubts it's always reassuring to have user experience!

A bit like the repeated wifi discussions about buying 3 for 1 instead of the more expensive 1 each for 3.... 

On 5/29/2023 at 11:51 AM, Joe33472 said:

I think I'd rather just purchase three of the wash and fold bags in advance so that we can turn a bag every 3 or 4 days.

This is the route we chose, and for the same reason. We can pack less since we have laundry service

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to confirm that the 3 bag "Take Home Laundry" comes with 3 coupons that you attach to your laundry when you send it in. We did one bag every 2-3 days. One of the bags did take longer to come back and the clothes smelled faintly like vomit. It was the last bag of the lot and we didn't have time for them to redo it since it came back on our last day. I brought along some Febreze and used that to cover up the smell. It was faint, but you could smell it since you're wearing it. I was continuing onto a work trip immediately after the cruise, so these were the clothes I had. At least the first 2 bags came back fine, so 2/3 of my clothes were ok.

4 minutes ago, BazingAu said:

I wanted to confirm that the 3 bag "Take Home Laundry" comes with 3 coupons that you attach to your laundry when you send it in. We did one bag every 2-3 days. One of the bags did take longer to come back and the clothes smelled faintly like vomit. It was the last bag of the lot and we didn't have time for them to redo it since it came back on our last day. I brought along some Febreze and used that to cover up the smell. It was faint, but you could smell it since you're wearing it. I was continuing onto a work trip immediately after the cruise, so these were the clothes I had. At least the first 2 bags came back fine, so 2/3 of my clothes were ok.

I’m a bit creeped out about the idea of our laundry being washed with other peoples, mostly for this reason.  Pretty much cinched it for me, I won’t be taking advantage of laundry services.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

we ve never used the laundry service. How do you know if your laundry and say,  10 other cabins, isnt tossed into the same commercial washer?   

They glue little tags on them. Every single piece of laundry came back with a tiny tag glued on them.

1 minute ago, BazingAu said:

They glue little tags on them. Every single piece of laundry came back with a tiny tag glued on them.

yes. But you dont know if your laundry is washed by itself, in a separate washer, without other people’s clothes.    . highly doubt it.  

We did a tour years ago, not Celebrity, and saw bag after bag being tossed into the same washing machine.    Items were labelled in case bag became undone and items spilled out. They could identify which cabin.    That is what we were told

20 minutes ago, Octavias said:

I’m a bit creeped out about the idea of our laundry being washed with other peoples, mostly for this reason.  Pretty much cinched it for me, I won’t be taking advantage of laundry services.  

I don't disagree with you. This was pretty gross, and I will likely just bring my Tide fabric sanitizer spray for longer trips instead. (I usually bring it with me on shorter trips, but like using laundry for longer ones.)

1 minute ago, 1Virgo said:

yes. But you dont know if your laundry is washed by itself, in a separate washer, without other people’s clothes.    . highly doubt it.  

We did a tour years ago, not Celebrity, and saw bag after bag being tossed into the same washing machine.    Items were labelled in case bag became undone and items spilled out. They could identify which cabin.    That is what we were told

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your initial comment. Yes, you are correct. Many different cabin clothes are washed together, then they sort the clothes by the little tags they glue onto each piece of clothing. I don't think I'll be doing it again.