Santorini - Opinions Needed

crusinmomwithtwo

I will be in Santorini July 7, off the NCL Breakaway.  We are in port from 1pm-10pm Based on cruise mapper it appears that there is only one other ship in port that day, the Seaborne Encore, which has approximately 600 pax and is in port from 8am-11pm.

We are in the Haven, so we have priority tendering, so we can plan to be the first off our ship. 

Given these circumstances is it reasonable to believe there will not be a multiple hour wait for the cable car?  I'd like to just do Oia on our own, so hoping not to book a tour.

Why risk it ?  are you coming back to Santorini sometime soon ?

I wish we had taken the Charming Oia Village tour when it was available. It would have been $75 well spent. Instead, we never got to Oia, and it's not like I'll ever be back to Santorini. 

I thought we had a pretty long day in port, but we had a 2 hr wait for the cable car, then no taxis were in sight to take us to Oia, which made us wonder about the return trip.  Plus our last tender left at 9pm and the other ship left within an hour of us, so there could be a long line for the return, so we just wandered around Fira for a few hrs then returned to the ship to watch the sunset. Very disappointing.

You already have priority tender.  But you still might want to look at your ships excursion that would get you to Oia.   You would probably not have to stay with the excursion.  Often they leave you either at Oia with a bus ticket, or at Fira with a cablecar ticket.

Ships excursions might bypass the cablecar and tender you over to Althinia, with a coach waiting there.

This might still get you off the ship early.  But also make sure to get you to Oia with the excursion, and not having to make your way to Oia once you are off the ship.

It can cost a bit more.   But, could be worth it to avoid the cable-car and the public bus.  Which are the two cheapest options.

Check your ships excursions to make sure of details.

I knuckled under and bought the cruise sponsored excursion that takes us to Oia.  Like other posters have said, am I coming back to Santorini?  Probably not with all the other travel we have planned.  But this excursion guarantees that I will experience Oia which is what I want to see in Santorini.

Good luck on your choices!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Why risk it ?  are you coming back to Santorini sometime soon ?

I wish we had taken the Charming Oia Village tour when it was available. It would have been $75 well spent. Instead, we never got to Oia, and it's not like I'll ever be back to Santorini. 

I thought we had a pretty long day in port, but we had a 2 hr wait for the cable car, then no taxis were in sight to take us to Oia, which made us wonder about the return trip.  Plus our last tender left at 9pm and the other ship left within an hour of us, so there could be a long line for the return, so we just wandered around Fira for a few hrs then returned to the ship to watch the sunset. Very disappointing.

unfortunately that tour is fully booked, so out of luck there.

1 hour ago, crusinmomwithtwo said:

unfortunately that tour is fully booked, so out of luck there.

yep, that was my experience too.  The Spanish speaking version was still available but I said no, even tho we were going to leave the tour in Oia and tell the leader that we would make our own way back to Fira.   As it got closer to our travel date and I kept seeing all the negative stories, I called to see if the Spanish tour was still open, but nope it was sold out.

My advice would be to get a cab or bus as soon as you get off the cable car in order to maximize your time.  You can check out Fira later.  OR, if the cable car is really long, take the boat that leaves from the harbor. It might not leave for an hour but at least it gets you close to Oia.  I think it was 25 E pp. 

Too bad that excursion fills up quickly, as many people realize that they are thinking along the same lines as you are!

Arriving in the moring with several other ships might cause a real problem with the wait for the cablecars.  But, if yours is the only ship around that time in the afternoon, then with your priority tendering, then it might not be too bad.

I would arrange for a  tour to meet you immediately at the top of the cablecars at Fira.

trying to make your own way to Oia will probably end up with some wasted time and extra stress.

Just be aware that the transfer boat that runs over to Amoudi Bay below Oia might not follow a schedule.  It could wait until their minimum number of people fill up to run the boat.

Since you are arriving later, well after noon, then it might not be a given that the boat will make the trip right away.   I do know that the boat only takes people one way.  It does not bring people back from Oia.  So, hopefully, it will still be operating after 1:00 in the afternoon.

Sorry, I am not an expert, and details on this ferry are hard to come by.

But that is the understanding I have based on quite a bit of research.

On 4/23/2023 at 11:29 AM, ninjacat123 said:

I knuckled under and bought the cruise sponsored excursion that takes us to Oia.  Like other posters have said, am I coming back to Santorini?  Probably not with all the other travel we have planned.  But this excursion guarantees that I will experience Oia which is what I want to see in Santorini.

Good luck on your choices!!

I know what you mean.  We are on the Gem in July and I just bit the bullet and the bought the "selfie" tour.  While not really IG influencers, my understanding is that is the only one where they tender you back from Athinios.  We are traveling with grandparents and looking to avoid any cable car bru ha ha.

11 minutes ago, ilovesalchows said:

I know what you mean.  We are on the Gem in July and I just bit the bullet and the bought the "selfie" tour.  While not really IG influencers, my understanding is that is the only one where they tender you back from Athinios.  We are traveling with grandparents and looking to avoid any cable car bru ha ha.

We are dropped off at Athinos where a bus picks us up and we go to Oia.  After touring Oia, this is what is quoted:

"The tour ends at Fira, the picturesque capital of Santorini perched on the volcano's caldera. Here you will have the option to either stay in town for further exploration or climb Fira’s narrow lanes to the cable car station and descend to the pier where water shuttles will take you back to the ship."

We are on Carnival's Pride so it looks like we get to experience the bru ha ha on the way back.  I understand about the grandparents. If I was traveling with my 85 year old mom I would want to avoid the cable car line.

• Like 1

Every other excursion NCL offers drops you back in Fira.  If it were just myself and the kids we would have no problem wading through mule poop on the trek back down the hill if the lines were too long.  (Wouldn't be the worst experience I've had travelling, once a human peed at the top of the steps to Montmartre towards us while we were ascending)

Of course, this could be a misrepresentation by NCL.  I called them and asked and the rep basically read the description back to me on the phone.  Here is what is says:

Your tour will start with a scenic drive from the ship to the Aroma Avlis. Your walking tour will have designated selfie stops at: • Aroma Avlis
• The Blue Domes Churches of Oia
• Church Bells in Fira

To make this experience even more fun, you will be provided with a selfie stick and utilize our Selfie Station in order to help catch the perfect picture. While at Aroma Avlis, you will enjoy a wine tasting and explore one of the most famous wineries on the island.

Need to Know:

Note: The tour is not recommended to guests who utilize a wheelchair. Those guests with mobility concerns are cautioned to evaluate their personal level of ability and stamina. The order of sites visited may vary. Wear comfortable shoes, sunglasses and comfortable clothing. Bring your own fully charged cellphone or camera. A limited amount of selfie sticks will be available to share. Guests who miss the return transportation will be responsible for getting back to the ship.

Yikes!!  The peeing person sounds atrocious! We stayed last July in Montmartre with a view of the Sacre Coure from our hotel/apartment.  Didn't get to go up there to check it out but maybe I was spared a pee shower🤣  Your tour sounds like fun (I'm bringing my own selfie stick, I don't care what my 20 & 22 yr old DDs say) and looking forward to getting some great pics.  Thanks for posting the pic locations! 

The mobility caveat at the end would make me nervous for my mom.

paris room view.jpg

Edited by ninjacat123
wanted to include pic :)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ilovesalchows said:

Fabulous!  We are going again next summer for the Olympics.  I will give Montmartre another chance!  

I am envious, because of the Olympics!  I would love to watch the swim events.  Both of my DDs were competitive swimmers and nothing sport-wise makes my heart beat faster than watching excellent swimmers!  

• 2 weeks later...

We have the Charming Oia Village tour booked through NCL.  If the port schedules I'm finding on line are accurate, we're the only ship there that day.  Hoping to stroll around Oia for a few hours then do dinner in Fira before taking the cable car back down to the tender.

• Like 1

then no taxis were in sight to take us to Oia,

As a back up plan, adding a reminder that there are regular public buses running the Fira/Oia/Fira route. They leave from Fira bus station which is to the right and downhill  from the cable car station on the main road, and used to be opposite one of the smaller local museums. There also used to be a taxi rank there. An online map should indicate if both are still at the same location.There should also be bus timetables online.

Returning from OIa we boarded the Fira bus at the same stop we had arrived at.

Be aware that  the stops in both Fira and Oia were busy on our visits, so do arrive early for your chosen time.

Edited by edinburgher