Getting reading to cruise again-looking for packing advice--carryons/Luggage Forward advice

SLSD

We have been among the cautious ones, but we are cruising Seabourn again (finally) in early June.  We are aware of flight issues/lost luggage issues--so we are planning accordingly.  We are going to be smart in  packing our carryon bags/personal item carryons and think we MIGHT be able to survive the cruise just on those items.  We are remembering Sharkb8's experience with their Luggage Forward bags which didn't arrive until late in a cruise.   However, we have decided to use Luggage Forward for the first time and will be hoping for a very good experience with them.  Do we need to pack an Apple tracking device in the Luggage Forward bag?

We've read the list of excluded items for Luggage Forward and understand the list.  We are planning on packing clothing and shoes to be shipped by them.  I do have a question.  Should I not pack an electric hair appliance?  Is an electrical cord going to send off alarms with Luggage Forward and/or customs agents?  I could well leave it at home if there is any chance of a problem.  

Also, any tips on packing to the max in carryons would be very welcome.  I'll be traveling in my lace up walking shoes, packing a pair of flats (heels going by Luggage Forward).  I'll be carrying on to the plane my light jacket (waterproof--we're going to Norway) and in my carryon I'll have my light down sweater to layer under the jacket.  I'll have two outfits for dinner in the evening (scarves, jewelry to go with) and two more pairs of pants plus tops for daytime wear.  Mr. SLSD will travel in his navy blazer and have appropriate pants/shirts in his carryon.  He'll be traveling in his walking shoes with another pair of shoes in his carryon. We both will pack medications--including Covid tests and  Paxlovid  which my doctor has prescribed (and we are hoping Mr. SLSD's doctor will do the same).  

Any specific packing advice to cover most situations  welcomed.  

5 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We have been among the cautious ones, but we are cruising Seabourn again (finally) in early June.  We are aware of flight issues/lost luggage issues--so we are planning accordingly.  We are going to be smart in  packing our carryon bags/personal item carryons and think we MIGHT be able to survive the cruise just on those items.  We are remembering Sharkb8's experience with their Luggage Forward bags which didn't arrive until late in a cruise.   However, we have decided to use Luggage Forward for the first time and will be hoping for a very good experience with them.  Do we need to pack an Apple tracking device in the Luggage Forward bag?

We've read the list of excluded items for Luggage Forward and understand the list.  We are planning on packing clothing and shoes to be shipped by them.  I do have a question.  Should I not pack an electric hair appliance?  Is an electrical cord going to send off alarms with Luggage Forward and/or customs agents?  I could well leave it at home if there is any chance of a problem.  

Also, any tips on packing to the max in carryons would be very welcome.  I'll be traveling in my lace up walking shoes, packing a pair of flats (heels going by Luggage Forward).  I'll be carrying on to the plane my light jacket (waterproof--we're going to Norway) and in my carryon I'll have my light down sweater to layer under the jacket.  I'll have two outfits for dinner in the evening (scarves, jewelry to go with) and two more pairs of pants plus tops for daytime wear.  Mr. SLSD will travel in his navy blazer and have appropriate pants/shirts in his carryon.  He'll be traveling in his walking shoes with another pair of shoes in his carryon. We both will pack medications--including Covid tests and  Paxlovid  which my doctor has prescribed (and we are hoping Mr. SLSD's doctor will do the same).  

Any specific packing advice to cover most situations  welcomed.  

We used LF for our cruise last September and were very pleased with the service. Our large luggage was delivered to our hotel even earlier than scheduled. We did have a question about a medication we were going to pack, called their customer service and they advised us NOT to pack it and to bring it with us in our carry-ons.  One thing we didn't count on is Italy customs locking the suitcase after it cleared customs and when it was delivered to our hotel, we had some difficulty opening it- the hotel's engineer assisted in getting it opened. Re: air tags, yes, I place air tags in all our checked and carry-ons (in case we are asked at the airport to check it). It was reassuring to track the item from CA. to Rome, seeing when it was delivered and stored until our arrival. Just call LF and they will assist.

5 minutes ago, SLSD said:

We used them in December to the QM2.   I packed my hair dryer with no problems.   Leave rechargeable batteries out of your cases as they cause fires.   We travel wearing our heavy shoes and in Jackets.   We always pack essentials in the cases we put in the overhead.   My husband has a computer backpack where we keep our electronics and essential documents.   If you are not in Business/First Class, get on as early as you can to claim overhead space.

21 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We used them in December to the QM2.   I packed my hair dryer with no problems.   Leave rechargeable batteries out of your cases as they cause fires.   We travel wearing our heavy shoes and in Jackets.   We always pack essentials in the cases we put in the overhead.   My husband has a computer backpack where we keep our electronics and essential documents.   If you are not in Business/First Class, get on as early as you can to claim overhead space.

All good advice.  Thank you.  I'll have my laptop in my personal item-and Mr. SLSD will have his in his personal item

Edited by SLSD

2 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

Packing Paxlovid, just in case is a good idea. Seabourn are charging $750 for an antiviral course if you test positive.

I am hoping that Mr. SLSD's doctor will be willing to prescribe it.  My doctor did not hesitate at all.  My husband's doctor is at the local medical school and they follow "public health guidelines" while my doctor has his patient's best interests at heart.  So, we will see.  We can probably get a prescription for him even if his doctor declines.  

We removed our AirTags since LF says no lithium batteries, and that is what AirTags contain.

Do not allow your luggage to be locked. We did not lock the bags but the combination tumbler on the luggage band somehow changed. LF called me about hour after they took in the bag to ask what it was. I gave it. But because of this break in flow the bag was delayed by 2 days. That I paid $30 extra per bag for “express service” on our bags from the ship home made no difference. LF said by locking the bag I had forfeited their service standards program… So I will no longer use luggage bands with locks with them. And probably take my bags myself.

I would not pack electricals either. They warn against it. Only clothes and shoes.

Good luck with them.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Thanks 1

Okay, I’ll chime in, recognize that mine is from the perspective of a person who had the worst sort of early COVID experience,  we were onboard Grand Princess in February 2020 landing us in 8 days of shipboard quarantine plus 14 days more at Travis we are forever changed.  

Adjustments:

1.  Never again will I leave any Rx medication at home.  Frequent traveler I, prided myself on carrying nothing extra, one extra day in my pill box was the norm.  When packing for our Grand cruise DW asked “what should I do with my extra pills, I replied toss ‘‘em in, we’re driving to the pier plenty of space”.  Brilliant decision, one I didn’t mirror.

2.  Once on board, we will never again work the wardrobe backwards assuming it’s okay to get home with a “perfect” suitcase of 100% dirty clothes (the contrary would suggest overpacking, right?).  Nope, there’s no promise you’ll get home on time, better to have a few extra things.

3.  Likewise we grab a few non perishable items to keep in the room.  When the worst happens there is no way, despite best intentions, the cruise line or hastily assembled quarantine staff can deliver even the most basic expectations without glitches.  Onboard Grand we were missed for 3 meals, at Travis 5 more.  Best to hoard just a little.

4.  Travel logistics, even before COVID we had given up same day arrivals, now we allow even more time.  For the cruise I happen to know you are asking about we will arrive in Copenhagen 48 hours before boarding.  Too safe?  I refer you to last summers air challenges.  We don’t have time for every possible failure, but do have room to recover if things don’t go exactly right.

If this all makes it sound as though we’re prepping for doomsday and can’t possibly enjoy our cruises, not so.  We’ve found that employing our lived experience removes questions and doubt and allows us to more fully enjoy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markham said:

We removed our AirTags since LF says no lithium batteries, and that is what AirTags contain.

Do not allow your luggage to be locked. We did not lock the bags but the combination tumbler on the luggage band somehow changed. LF called me about hour after they took in the bag to ask what it was. I gave it. But because of this break in flow the bag was delayed by 2 days. That I paid $30 extra per bag for “express service” on our bags from the ship home made no difference. LF said by locking the bag I had forfeited their service standards program… So I will no longer use luggage bands with locks with them. And probably take my bags myself.

I would not pack electricals either. They warn against it. Only clothes and shoes.

Good luck with them.

Happy and healthy sailing!

The locks on luggage are a menace for sure.  We never lock our luggage but years ago (before the combination tumblers) TSA broke our unlocked  lock anyway.  It was a keyed lock which was not locked!  Go figure.  Thank you for clueing me in about the Air Tags.  I would have figured that out, but asking you pros makes it easier.  

I just took a look at the piece of luggage we plan to send through Luggage Forward.  I could not remember if it had a tumbler lock on it or not.  It does not!  I am so glad it doesn't after your experience,  It just has a place where a small lock could be placed--and of course we will not do that.  It's a Tumi piece of luggage.  I was in their store recently looking at some of their bags--and I remember that the bags in the store  DID have the tumbler locks, so I was surprised that this one does not.  

I will leave my electrical hair appliance out of the bag.  As I said, I don't even really need it and sometimes do not take it on cruises.  

I was planning on packing a set of colored pencils and a pencil sharpener.  I ordered a new set of pencils for the trip (to have something to do if we get Covid) and they come in a shrink wrapped tin box.  I will probably put them in my carryon .No need to worry anyone about what they are.  Some years ago, we flew to NYC for our granddaughter's birthday and I had her birthday presents in my checked bag---and carefully gift wrapped in the cutest birthday gift wrapping papers and ribbons.  When we got to our hotel and opened our bags, I was shocked to see that every gift had been unwrapped--paper torn and ribbon bows destroyed. 

Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

Okay, I’ll chime in, recognize that mine is from the perspective of a person who had the worst sort of early COVID experience,  we were onboard Grand Princess in February 2020 landing us in 8 days of shipboard quarantine plus 14 days more at Travis we are forever changed.  

Adjustments:

1.  Never again will I leave any Rx medication at home.  Frequent traveler I, prided myself on carrying nothing extra, one extra day in my pill box was the norm.  When packing for our Grand cruise DW asked “what should I do with my extra pills, I replied toss ‘‘em in, we’re driving to the pier plenty of space”.  Brilliant decision, one I didn’t mirror.

2.  Once on board, we will never again work the wardrobe backwards assuming it’s okay to get home with a “perfect” suitcase of 100% dirty clothes (the contrary would suggest overpacking, right?).  Nope, there’s no promise you’ll get home on time, better to have a few extra things.

3.  Likewise we grab a few non perishable items to keep in the room.  When the worst happens there is no way, despite best intentions, the cruise line or hastily assembled quarantine staff can deliver even the most basic expectations without glitches.  Onboard Grand we were missed for 3 meals, at Travis 5 more.  Best to hoard just a little.

4.  Travel logistics, even before COVID we had given up same day arrivals, now we allow even more time.  For the cruise I happen to know you are asking about we will arrive in Copenhagen 48 hours before boarding.  Too safe?  I refer you to last summers air challenges.  We don’t have time for every possible failure, but do have room to recover if things don’t go exactly right.

If this all makes it sound as though we’re prepping for doomsday and can’t possibly enjoy our cruises, not so.  We’ve found that employing our lived experience removes questions and doubt and allows us to more fully enjoy.

All good advice.  We almost always take some "breakfast bars" as we call them with us, just in case.  We'll make sure to do that.  

And, we are scheduled to arrive 48 hours ahead of embarkation.  The only part of cruising I worry about is actually getting there.  

Edited by SLSD

This all sounds even more difficult than taking all of your suitcases on the plane with you.

I wish you good luck but I will stick with my tried and tested six cases between the two of us for long cruises and two/four cases for shorter trips.

Rolling clothes is a good way of getting more in and less creasing.

Happy sailing.

9 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

This all sounds even more difficult than taking all of your suitcases on the plane with you.

I wish you good luck but I will stick with my tried and tested six cases between the two of us for long cruises and two/four cases for shorter trips.

Rolling clothes is a good way of getting more in and less creasing.

Happy sailing.

Yes, we always roll our clothing.  Can pack so much more in a small space that way. 

Just now, Mr Luxury said:

Have you tried those vacuum bags.

I haven't but they look interesting.

I haven't tried them.  We don't leave until summer, but I am already getting things in order as it has been over three years since we have cruised now!  I have done a test packing into my carryon bag and was amazed at how much I could pack there.  Of course, being a woman, I don't have as many bulky clothing items as men do. I talk silk pants, shells and light jackets and they roll into nothing.  

The Apple Air Tags, just this month, received FAA approval to place in luggage. ‘The devices only contain 0.1 grams of lithium which falls below the FAA limit’ was in the news release. I saw the news release by CNN dated 3 April when I was researching whether to purchase them. Still considering whether to or not. 

We always roll everything and also use packing cubes. First used them for safari in Africa and have used them ever since on trips where we are moving to different places/hotels. Makes finding items so much easier. Since we will be flying to Venice 5 days prior to sailing we will likely use them for that portion as many items won’t be used until we board the ship. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

The Apple Air Tags, just this month, received FAA approval to place in luggage. ‘The devices only contain 0.1 grams of lithium which falls below the FAA limit’ was in the news release. I saw the news release by CNN dated 3 April when I was researching whether to purchase them. Still considering whether to or not. 

We always roll everything and also use packing cubes. First used them for safari in Africa and have used them ever since on trips where we are moving to different places/hotels. Makes finding items so much easier. Since we will be flying to Venice 5 days prior to sailing we will likely use them for that portion as many items won’t be used until we board the ship. 

Excellent recommendation on the packing cubes.  They are great, for all the reasons you cited.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We've used packing cubes and also foldover presses for things like shirts and pants.  I probably will use this for this trip.  

8 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Would you tell me more about the fold over presses that you use please?

I'll photograph one of them later.  But bascially, they are made of a canvas material and are folded shirt size.  You fold shirts, other items of clothing--stack them on the canvas and then fold over a flap on each side that close with velcro.  It allows you to compress a stack of clothing into a smaller space.  I purchased them at The Container Store some years ago.  I do not know if the store still carries them.  

26 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. I have heard of them and will look further into

I just checked The Container Store website and did not see it.  The Container Store reset their mission a few years ago and don't carry everything they used to carry.  The brand name is Eagle Creek.  

I just found it on Amazon under the name Eagle Creek Pack-It Garment Folder Packing Organizer, Black (M)

Edited by SLSD

We have used Luggage Forwarding twice now (once outbound only, and once round trip) and had almost no problems at all.  They scan the bar code on the luggage tag at pick up and you then can log in and track the bag's progress.  The only issues we had were (1) when we opened the bag on the ship in Barbados, DH's dress shirt that was packed on the very top was soaking wet.  Oddly, nothing else in the bag was even damp.  We never could figure out how that happened, other than maybe the bag was left out briefly in the rain and that one shirt soaked it all up.  Seabourn washed and ironed it at no charge.  (2) taking the bag for drop off on our return from Vancouver was sort of a PITA.  It was a LONG walk, and somewhat confusing to find where we were supposed to take it.  I would have thought Seabourn could arrange for Luggage Forwarding to pick the bags up from the ship.  Other than that, I loved not having to schlep around our big duffel for the day and a half prior to boarding the ship.  Having just our carry on bags allowed us to take the train from the airport to the hotel since walking a few blocks was no big deal with just rolling carry on bags.

I did pack my cruise-approved electric/USB plug (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBMQTZFR?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1) which I love and is allowed.  I also use the vacuum seal bags (you roll up the bags to push the air out -- no vacuum required) which saves a ton of space.  I also try to minimize as much as possible the number of shoes I bring.  That's the hardest part!  DH's (huge) shoes are a great place to stuff socks, underwear and other small miscellaneous stuff.

For my carry on, always pack meds and at least two changes of clothes that can be mixed and matched.  Plus a lightweight rain jacket and hat.

With regard to plaxlovid (sp), before our Alaskan cruise I asked my doctor about getting an RX of it just in case.  Since DH and I are both on blood pressure meds, she recommended against taking it, because if you take it, you have to discontinue your blood pressure meds while taking plaxlovid.  Just something to consider.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, SDuckers said:

We have used Luggage Forwarding twice now (once outbound only, and once round trip) and had almost no problems at all.  They scan the bar code on the luggage tag at pick up and you then can log in and track the bag's progress.  The only issues we had were (1) when we opened the bag on the ship in Barbados, DH's dress shirt that was packed on the very top was soaking wet.  Oddly, nothing else in the bag was even damp.  We never could figure out how that happened, other than maybe the bag was left out briefly in the rain and that one shirt soaked it all up.  Seabourn washed and ironed it at no charge.  (2) taking the bag for drop off on our return from Vancouver was sort of a PITA.  It was a LONG walk, and somewhat confusing to find where we were supposed to take it.  I would have thought Seabourn could arrange for Luggage Forwarding to pick the bags up from the ship.  Other than that, I loved not having to schlep around our big duffel for the day and a half prior to boarding the ship.  Having just our carry on bags allowed us to take the train from the airport to the hotel since walking a few blocks was no big deal with just rolling carry on bags.

I did pack my cruise-approved electric/USB plug (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBMQTZFR?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1) which I love and is allowed.  I also use the vacuum seal bags (you roll up the bags to push the air out -- no vacuum required) which saves a ton of space.  I also try to minimize as much as possible the number of shoes I bring.  That's the hardest part!  DH's (huge) shoes are a great place to stuff socks, underwear and other small miscellaneous stuff.

For my carry on, always pack meds and at least two changes of clothes that can be mixed and matched.  Plus a lightweight rain jacket and hat.

With regard to plaxlovid (sp), before our Alaskan cruise I asked my doctor about getting an RX of it just in case.  Since DH and I are both on blood pressure meds, she recommended against taking it, because if you take it, you have to discontinue your blood pressure meds while taking plaxlovid.  Just something to consider.

Thank you for all of your suggestions,.  I've never used the vacuum bags, but a friend brought some over in case I wanted to use them on our trip.   Very kind of her.  

Neither of us take blood pressure medication and we did successfully take Paxlovid last September when we both had Covid.  It worked like a dream for me (stops the virus from multiplying) and for my husband.  

On this trip, we are just using Luggage Forward for  the trip out--and will schlepp our bags home ourselves.  I am trying to pack very smartly.  Currently, I already have most things laid out on a bed and I'm impressed that it is not a huge lot. And yes, the shoes are a big (and ongoing) issue.  I think  Mr. SLSD can get by with three pairs---walking shoes (worn on plane), dress(ier) shoes and one other pair in between.  I'll wear my walking shoes on the plane and pack a pair of flats in my carry on.  I would like to take at least three or four more pairs.  We'll see what develops. I've got daytime things covered fairly easily.  I have about five combinations for dinner in the evening--but I am still working on what exactly I want to take.  And there are scarves, jewelry, socks etc. etc.  And a waterproof rain jacket, another light jacket, a light down sweater, a quilted vest and a couple of other sweaters.  It sounds like a lot more than it actually is.  Most everything is fairly thin.  The waterproof rain jacket and the vest will go on the plane with me with the down sweater (which folds to nothing) in the carryon. 

• Like 1