FA Cup Final

penguin233

43 minutes ago, penguin233 said:

Does NCL ever show football matches live on TV? My husband is devastated because his beloved Manchester United will be playing in the FA Cup Final whilst we’re on holiday, and he may miss it. 

He will have no issues.  They always show Rugby, Aussie Footy, and top flight Europe football matches. If anything, we have bigger issues trying to get N American sports on TVs on board….

Yes they do...lots of Premier League and cup games...however they are on the Sports channel live...so depending on where you are in the world will depend on what time they are on...we are just off an Australia to Tahiti cruise and all the games were on during the night...I'm a big fan but getting up at 3am was a bit much... had to make do with the highlight shows. Where are you sailing when the final is on?

Edited by CaptainBazz

1 hour ago, penguin233 said:

Does NCL ever show football matches live on TV? My husband is devastated because his beloved Manchester United will be playing in the FA Cup Final whilst we’re on holiday, and he may miss it. 

NCL shows more English football than American "football". 

1 hour ago, penguin233 said:

Thanks everyone - he’s very relieved to hear this 😁 We’ll be in the Med, so only a small time difference 👍

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, but whilst football is shown a lot onboard, it has always seemed to be replays.

I don’t pay all that much attention to it, but whenever I look at a screen they seem to be showing the same replays over and over.

I can’t say for sure, but I wouldn’t take it as definite they they will be showing it live.

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I don’t pay all that much attention to it, but whenever I look at a screen they seem to be showing the same replays over and over.

That's probably because English soccer is usually only on over a weekend...during the week the sports channel shows replays of the games they aired. I have always been able to watch weekend games live.

4 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

That's probably because English soccer is usually only on over a weekend...during the week the sports channel shows replays of the games they aired. I have always been able to watch weekend games live.

There is loads of football on during the week.

17 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

That's because you are watching "the same replays over and over" 😂😂😂

No, it is because there is lots of football on during the week.

Just this week:

Saturday - 5 Premier League games

Sunday - 2 Premier League Games

Monday - No Premier League Games

Tuesday - 3 Premier League Games

Wednesday - 4 Premier League Games

Thursday - 3 Premier League Games

Friday - No Premier League Games.

That's 7 games at the weekend and 10 during the week. Fairly standard I believe (judging may all the adverts they constantly show whilst I'm watching other sport).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

No, it is because there is lots of football on during the week.

Just this week:

Saturday - 5 Premier League games

Sunday - 2 Premier League Games

Monday - No Premier League Games

Tuesday - 3 Premier League Games

Wednesday - 4 Premier League Games

Thursday - 3 Premier League Games

Friday - No Premier League Games.

That's 7 games at the weekend and 10 during the week. Fairly standard I believe (judging may all the adverts they constantly show whilst I'm watching other sport).

As there are only 10 premier League games every week you are obviously picking a week when there are re-arranged games being played to fit your argument.

17 games a week is not fairly standard...10 games per week is standard (there are only 20 teams in EPL so 10 games per week)...unless of course you are watching "the same replays over and over" 😜

20 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

As there are only 10 premier League games every week you are obviously picking a week when there are re-arranged games being played to fit your argument.

17 games a week is not fairly standard...10 games per week is standard (there are only 20 teams in EPL so 10 games per week)...unless of course you are watching "the same replays over and over" 😜

I am clearly not picking a week when they are rearranged to fit my argument. I have picked this week. To claim that I was "picking a week" for any purpose other than it is the week we are in actually made me laugh out loud.

As for rearranged games, every single one of the games being played this week was scheduled to be played then when the fixtures were released last year.

We could look at next week then. There are 5 games on Monday-Friday and 7 at the weekend. Was I selecting that one to help my argument as well?

The weeks when there aren't a good number of Premier League games played during the week are often those when there is another tournament (i.e. Champions League) on instead.

If you still don't believe me then you could just look at the full fixture list for the year:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2646764

Lots of midweek games scheduled throughout the season.

It is probably just easier to admit that when you said that English football is usually only on over a weekend you were incorrect (and I'm not the only one to point that out).

Edited by KeithJenner

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

I am clearly not picking a week when they are rearranged to fit my argument. I have picked this week. To claim that I was "picking a week" for any purpose other than it is the week we are in actually made me laugh out loud.

We could look at next week then. There are 5 games on Monday-Friday and 7 at the weekend. Was I selecting that one to help my argument as well?

The weeks when there aren't a good number of Premier League games played during the week are often those when there is another tournament (i.e. Champions League) on instead.

It is probably just easier to admit that when you said that English football is usually only on over a weekend you were incorrect (and I'm not the only one to point that out).

See the attached link to the Premier League website which shows all the fixtures for the 2022/2023 season. Go through each week and you will see there are 10 games per week with most games being played on a weekend.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2646764#:~:text=See the dates for all,season starting from 5 August&text=The 2022%2F23 Premier League,fixtures are subject to change.

If you look at what I said it was "English football is USUALLY only on over a weekend"...look at the fixture list and you will see that if you go through each week. All I made was general statement in response to your post that all there were only repeats on the ship and I gave one suggestion as to why that might be. 

Of course there are other games...fixtures pile up..cup games...weather cancellations... all contribute to extra fixtures at the end of the season, which we are now at. 

So go ahead and have the last word and then we can all agree to disagree with my statement.

21 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

See the attached link to the Premier League website which shows all the fixtures for the 2022/2023 season. Go through each week and you will see there are 10 games per week with most games being played on a weekend.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2646764#:~:text=See the dates for all,season starting from 5 August&text=The 2022%2F23 Premier League,fixtures are subject to change.

If you look at what I said it was "English football is USUALLY only on over a weekend"...look at the fixture list and you will see that if you go through each week. All I made was general statement in response to your post that all there were only repeats on the ship and I gave one suggestion as to why that might be. 

Of course there are other games...fixtures pile up..cup games...weather cancellations... all contWhatever. extra fixtures at the end of the season, which we are now at. 

So go ahead and have the last word and then we can all agree to disagree with my statement.

I honestly don't want to argue about this. I have no interest in the sport anyway, but I can't turn on Sky Sports without seeing loads of adverts for the games that are on during the week.

As I said in the edit to my last message, every game this week was originally scheduled to be played then. There are also all the other competitions (Cups, European competitions, Internationals) that are predominantly played during the week. Then there are the lower leagues which are well covered on TV coverage.

Yes, teams are more likely to play at the weekend than during the week, and if you had said that more games are on the weekend then I wouldn't have disagreed at all, but you said that English football is usually ONLY played at the weekend. That is demonstrably not true.

On the BBC website the "fixtures and results" page currently covers the period from 10th April-8th May and there are only five days in that period when no Premier League teams are playing (two Mondays and 3 Fridays). When they aren't playing in the Premier League they are playing European games.

Football is a week round sport here.

Anyway, that is certainly it from me. Back to something I have an interest in, like planning my cruises.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

but you said that English football is usually ONLY played at the weekend.

Now when you put the emphasis on 'only' it reads differently...I prefer the emphasis on 'usually' 😜...I agree...let's get back to talking about cruising.

Hi penguin233,

I very much hope I am wrong about this, but I have a feeling Sport 24 (the sports channel at sea) may not have the broadcast rights for the FA Cup. They have the rights to the Premier League & UEFA competitions, but not so sure if they show the FA Cup. I don't think I have been on a sailing when the FA Cup has been on so can't say this with any certainty, but it's not listed as an event that they show on their website.

Maybe it will still be shown as it's a showpiece game, but just thought it was worth suggesting the possibility it might not be on. 

• 1 year later...

Ah, missing a big match during a holiday can be a real downer, especially for a devoted fan. I'm not entirely sure about NCL's setup, but it's worth checking if they broadcast live sports onboard. If not, you could always explore streaming options like sport io today, which might just save the day and let you catch the game while soaking up the sun on your cruise.

Edited by Mutinyintl

16 minutes ago, Mutinyintl said:

Ah, missing a big match during a holiday can be a real downer, especially for a devoted fan. I'm not entirely sure about NCL's setup, but it's worth checking if they broadcast live sports onboard. If not, you could always explore streaming options like sport io today, which might just save the day and let you catch the game while soaking up the sun on your cruise.

The game being discussed happened about a year ago, so the chances of catching it now are remote. 🙂 

For anyone who may be interested in the subject, I can confirm that live Premier League games were shown most evenings on the Viva recently in the Med.

I can confirm that on the Epic TA in Dec 2022 all the final World Cup games were shown live on the big screen in the Atrium. Lots of excitement too in the packed space for every game. I even caught the fever. Suppose you all know that Messi plays in Florida now.

2 hours ago, Mutinyintl said:

You should have no problem finding any of the kicknall games (aka soccer).  NCL has kickball on TV almost 24/7 every cruise.  I think they don't have contracts for real sports programming!