Gala Nights

Electra 7

Is it worth taking tux for hubby and plain long dress for me for Gala night onboard Alaskan cruise in June

we actually like dressing up especially since my 60th birthday is on Gala night 

we do not want to be the only people in formal attire 

is any one else going on cruise departing Vancouver 4th June planning on formal attire for these evenings 

many thanks for your replies

It's really up to you.  Alaskan cruises do tend to be less formal than some others, especially European cruises.  You will see ladies with gowns and really nice dresses.  Since covid and HAL changing the name of the night, the number of tuxes is way down.  Your husband will likely not be the only person in a tux, but there won't be many.  However, if you like to dress up, go for it!  Certainly no one will stare at you or think it is weird.

• Like 2

A decade ago HAL was quite 'dressy' on the nights designated as 'Gala'.  Since then we have seen a gradual decline in the suggested dress code and the numbers of men wearing a tux and women in posh frocks are very few.  I gather that the dress code for Alaskan cruises is even more relaxed.  As CruiserBruce says, the decision is yours, but whatever you decide I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip to an amazing part of the world.  Have a very happy 60th birthday cruise.

Normally, I would say don't bother, because not many people dress up for gala nights. But it's a special birthday, so if you want to dress up, do it. Nobody will look at you oddly because you're dressed up more than most people. You'll likely get some compliments on how nice you look.

Consider having dinner in the Pinnacle to make it more special. I know that a lot of people don't want to miss the Gala menu, but I don't think it's all that special. The ambiance of Pinnacle is worth missing the "special" Gala night menu. 

I think the photographers set up around the ship on Gala nights, so you could have a formal portrait done as a nice memento of the day.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Normally, I would say don't bother, because not many people dress up for gala nights. But it's a special birthday, so if you want to dress up, do it. Nobody will look at you oddly because you're dressed up more than most people. You'll likely get some compliments on how nice you look.

Consider having dinner in the Pinnacle to make it more special. I know that a lot of people don't want to miss the Gala menu, but I don't think it's all that special. The ambiance of Pinnacle is worth missing the "special" Gala night menu. 

I think the photographers set up around the ship on Gala nights, so you could have a formal portrait done as a nice memento of the day.

Thanks I have booked pinnacle for next evening so I can have the best of both worlds 

43 minutes ago, Pickalily, Wilts said:

A decade ago HAL was quite 'dressy' on the nights designated as 'Gala'.  Since then we have seen a gradual decline in the suggested dress code and the numbers of men wearing a tux and women in posh frocks are very few.  I gather that the dress code for Alaskan cruises is even more relaxed.  As CruiserBruce says, the decision is yours, but whatever you decide I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip to an amazing part of the world.  Have a very happy 60th birthday cruise.

Thanks for your advice and good wishes so looking forward to my cruise 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Torquer said:

It's really up to you.  Alaskan cruises do tend to be less formal than some others, especially European cruises.  You will see ladies with gowns and really nice dresses.  Since covid and HAL changing the name of the night, the number of tuxes is way down.  Your husband will likely not be the only person in a tux, but there won't be many.  However, if you like to dress up, go for it!  Certainly no one will stare at you or think it is weird.

That was really what I was trying to find out if we would be the only people dressed up

I will be on the Koningsdam the first two weeks of June with my friend from Scotland. She will be wearing a fancy frock every evening and on gala nights she will up the fan ones  a not h or two.

I say go ahead and wear your fanciest frock. Be the star of the evening and shine for your birthday! 

wishing you all the best for your birthday and your cruise!!!

Rochelle

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Electra 7 said:

Is it worth taking tux for hubby and plain long dress for me for Gala night onboard Alaskan cruise in June

we actually like dressing up especially since my 60th birthday is on Gala night 

we do not want to be the only people in formal attire 

is any one else going on cruise departing Vancouver 4th June planning on formal attire for these evenings 

On our Alaska cruise last September there were men wearing coat and tie on gala night, but I did not see anyone wearing a tux; but the cruise was not full, and we were early dining. Many were not wearing even a jacket; but as others have said, you might not be the only ones in formal attire. I don't think it would stand out, even if you were.

As others have said, it is up to you entirely.  On our most recent (Caribbean) cruise there were very few men in a tux, but a few.  Most men didn't even wear tie &/or jacket, I was a bit disappointed because I enjoy dressing up a bit.  I had packed a jacket & 2 ties for hubby, but since it was evident that they were not required, he didn't want to wear them.  So it might depend on how your hubby feels about wearing the tux.  Have a great birthday cruise.

Since you say you like to dress up, and this is a special occasion, by all means---bring your tux and gown. And your best jewelry, too! 
After all, your pretty clothes like to go out to play, too! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

On our Alaska cruise last September there were men wearing coat and tie on gala night, but I did not see anyone wearing a tux; but the cruise was not full, and we were early dining. Many were not wearing even a jacket; but as others have said, you might not be the only ones in formal attire. I don't think it would stand out, even if you were.

What week did you go? I went solo on 9/11. (Seattle to Seattle) I agree no one in a tux. 

OP, if you can fit it in the luggage, I would since you said it’s a special occasion and you like dressing up. 

I am packing now for our 30th anniversary now leaving  Vancouver to Alaska on April 30th.  Im sort of sitting on the fence with my Tux.  I would really like to wear it but just don't know.  I was a lot fatter back then, and it just does not fit well, but would love to give it one last wear.  My DW would Hate me, but I'm thinking i will.  She forbids me to buy a white dinner jacket  maybe next year.  Saw a guy last year with an epic tux, I would liketo do it for me

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spleenstomper said:

What week did you go? I went solo on 9/11. (Seattle to Seattle) I agree no one in a tux. 

OP, if you can fit it in the luggage, I would since you said it’s a special occasion and you like dressing up. 

We were the previous week, left from Vancouver but final docking was Seattle. Were you on the Noordam? To @lobsternight and @Electra 7 : I say, if it feels right to go formal, then go formal! What I meant earlier was, that in any case I hope you'll feel good. I know that even if I'm just wearing a jacket, I admire those that are formal. And as I said, on the cruise I was on, the jacket was dressy!

• Like 1

It's completely up to you

Alaska is more casual, but there will probably be other people dressed up. There won't be as many as on a holiday cruise in the Caribbean, but do what you want.

9 hours ago, rochelle_s said:

I will be on the Koningsdam the first two weeks of June with my friend from Scotland. She will be wearing a fancy frock every evening and on gala nights she will up the fan ones  a not h or two.

I say go ahead and wear your fanciest frock. Be the star of the evening and shine for your birthday! 

wishing you all the best for your birthday and your cruise!!!

Rochelle

hope you enjoy your cruise

thanks for your best wishes

I was actually going to take my least formal dress but maybe you are right I should just wear it as it is a special occasion

8 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

thanks did you happen to do the land tour as I am looking for information for our land tour

8 hours ago, northernphoenix said:

We have had two Alaskan cruises…both with Tuxedo for DH.  This is your experience…I have the most lovely photos of DH and his brother(deceased).  These memories and the whole gala experience are personal…

Think I will go for it as you say it is my experience 

8 hours ago, Banditswife said:

As others have said, it is up to you entirely.  On our most recent (Caribbean) cruise there were very few men in a tux, but a few.  Most men didn't even wear tie &/or jacket, I was a bit disappointed because I enjoy dressing up a bit.  I had packed a jacket & 2 ties for hubby, but since it was evident that they were not required, he didn't want to wear them.  So it might depend on how your hubby feels about wearing the tux.  Have a great birthday cruise.

He is happy to wear tux he is downgrading from his kilt 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RuthC said:

Since you say you like to dress up, and this is a special occasion, by all means---bring your tux and gown. And your best jewelry, too! 
After all, your pretty clothes like to go out to play, too! 

thanks for your reply sounds like a plan

5 hours ago, lobsternight said:

I am packing now for our 30th anniversary now leaving  Vancouver to Alaska on April 30th.  Im sort of sitting on the fence with my Tux.  I would really like to wear it but just don't know.  I was a lot fatter back then, and it just does not fit well, but would love to give it one last wear.  My DW would Hate me, but I'm thinking i will.  She forbids me to buy a white dinner jacket  maybe next year.  Saw a guy last year with an epic tux, I would liketo do it for me

I think if you want to wear it you should

when you think about it everyone should wear what they want you may encourage other people who are sitting on the fence 

57 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

You need to try Cunard. There always are some kilted gentlemen on gala nights. 

The last 4 cruises we did were with Cunard we are going with them to Greek Islands in October  then Transatlantic in  December Japan next May we like Holland America also and wanted to do this trip with Holland America thats why I am not too bothered about dressing up as we have plenty of time onboard Cunard when we can dress up

57 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said: