World cruise: Cunard or P&O?

GeorgieG22

My son and I are trying to decide between two world cruises in January 2025. Cunard's Queen Anne and P&O's Arcadia have very similar itineraries but probably quite different experiences. Has anyone been on either or both world cruises? If so, we would love to hear what you thought, good and bad. E.g. food, entertainment, service, people.

We will be 60 and 27 years old at the time of the cruise.

Edited by GeorgieG22

Omg, my bucket list. My friend and I did Arcadia from Auckland to Sydney. It was mainly because of the opportunity to get on an adults only ship. Loved the thermal suite and met some amazing fellow passengers. The afternoon tea was a treat each day. Once we boarded we found out you are allowed to bring wine on board, so we grabbed some from each port and that saved us on alcohol. Enjoyed the use of a jug and complimentary biscuits in the balcony cabin plus the bath was nice. We would definitely recommend this ship, a step up from the usual P&O ships that we normally cruise on from here in Auckland. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeorgieG22 said:

My son and I are trying to decide between two world cruises in January 2025. Cunard's Queen Anne and P&O's Arcadia have very similar itineraries but probably quite different experiences. Has anyone been on either or both world cruises? If so, we would love to hear what you thought, good and bad. E.g. food, entertainment, service, people.

We will be 60 and 27 years old at the time of the cruise.

Recommend you ask/research on the World Cruise forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/674-world-cruising/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Recommend you ask/research on the World Cruise forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/674-world-cruising/

You might also ask on the P&O (UK) forum.

All I would say is that Arcadia is showing her age,  and we will not cruise on her again. I strongly suggest you try and book a short cruise on her first, before committing to a long and expensive world cruise.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

I have cruised both lines, and I have been on the Arcadia. Without hesitation, I recommend the brand new Queen Anne. Cunard is an excellent cruise line and while I haven’t been on Queen Anne (yet), I’m familiar with that class of ships from HAL. The photos and renderings look amazing. 

As mentioned, Arcadia is long in the tooth, and it shows. P&O is a good line but I don’t think these 2 ships are comparable. 

• Like 1

Thank you all, we are veering towards the Queen Anne after looking at some Arcadia and Cunard reviews and you tube videos.  My main concern is it being very formal for my 27 year old son and not that much to do on sea days for younger people, or even me :classic_biggrin:

I doubt there will be any difference in activities for young people between the ships.  For a world cruise, the demographic skews older and well traveled.  No doubt there are blogs from this years cruises.  You might ask your question on the Cunard board, too.  EM

3 hours ago, GeorgieG22 said:

Thank you all, we are veering towards the Queen Anne after looking at some Arcadia and Cunard reviews and you tube videos.  My main concern is it being very formal for my 27 year old son and not that much to do on sea days for younger people, or even me :classic_biggrin:

I imagine your son will be the youngest passenger on board by a couple of decades. As such, any entertainment will not be geared to his age group.