Documents needed for my US citizen husband that was born in Haiti

teadub2004

My family and I will go on on first cruise next month for my daughters graduation.  I have a passport and my kids have their documentation.  The problem is my husband didn't plan very well and hasn't renewed his passport.  He was born in Haiti and moved to the US when he was 8.  He has his Certificate of Citizenship document an "Acte De Naissance" his Haitian birth certificate document and his drivers license.  I am also bringing along out marriage certificate.  I have called Royal Caribbean and the agent said that his paperwork will be enough but I just want to make sure. 

He would need his Naturalization Certificate and a government issued photo ID. No need to bring anything else. Renewals are taking a really long time now so even if you expedite things it's an iffy proposition.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

He would need his Naturalization Certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Unless things have changed since I became a U.S. citizen, the certificate itself has the persons picture attached.

3 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Unless things have changed since I became a U.S. citizen, the certificate itself has the persons picture attached.

Yep, my wife's has hers on it. Regulations still require a government issued photo ID, though.

18 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

He would need his Naturalization Certificate and a government issued photo ID. No need to bring anything else.

@sparks1093, is correct.   @crystalspin accurately mentioned that this will only work for a closed loop cruise.

Make sure he brings the original US Certificate of Citizenship - not a copy.  He will also need his gov't issued photo ID as everyone has mentioned. 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2023 at 8:52 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@sparks1093, is correct.   @crystalspin accurately mentioned that this will only work for a closed loop cruise.

Make sure he brings the original US Certificate of Citizenship - not a copy.  He will also need his gov't issued photo ID as everyone has mentioned. 

@Ferry_Watcher, any logic to the fact one needs to bring the original US Certificate of Citizenship but a photocopy of a US birth certificate is fine?    

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

@Ferry_Watcher, any logic to the fact one needs to bring the original US Certificate of Citizenship but a photocopy of a US birth certificate is fine?    

I know that I'm not Ferry_Watcher but there is no logic that I'm aware of, just as there is little logic that a photo ID is needed with the naturalization certificate, which does have a picture on it (although the older naturalization certificates have the photo stapled or glued on, the newer ones are actually part of the certificate). Granted if the photo is too old it might be difficult to tell if it's the same person. DW's certificate was issued when she was 18 but you can still tell that it is her 4 decades later. 

People who naturalize can lose their newly gained citizenship under very specific circumstances, which may have something to do with needing the original since that would be forfeited during the proceedings, but to me that is a bit of a stretch. In crafting the closed loop exception DHS determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise represents a very low risk to the national security. I would think the same would apply to a naturalized citizen. While certificates and such can be easily faked by an expert (particularly the old ones) one would have to wonder if a bad actor would go through the trouble just to leave the US in order to come back a few days later. The information for everyone onboard is put through a multitude of government databases during the cruise, so everyone's citizenship status is verified. So I guess it all comes down to DHS taking a more conservative approach with the regulations and nothing more when it comes to non-US born citizens (people who are born of US parents abroad have citizenship from birth but they get a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, which also requires an original and not a copy). 

Anyway, I apologize for my lengthy answer. I am in quarantine due to COVID (third time) and am a bit tired of being in my home office with no one to really talk to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Not sure, but it's probably the same logic that prevents folks from using a photocopy of their passport as proof of citizenship.  Maybe because these documents, Passport and Certificate of Naturalization are issued by the Feds, and the birth certificates are issued by local gov't agencies.

I also think that the Certificates of Naturalization have printed on them a "Do Not Copy" warning.

• Like 1