Thinking about Asia

cl.klink

Never cruised Asia, want to. We like nice ships and visiting another culture. DW cannot walk long distances.  Choosing between cruises that focus on Japan, vs. span several countries. What do you recommend for a first timer?  

Thanks, 

- Joel

My only caution on the Westerdam is the length of the ship, considering your wife can't walk long distances. I don't know her definition of 'long distance', but I know for me, the walk from the dining room (even a table near the entrance) to the show lounge is quite long. 

There are work-arounds, such as having a rollator, or scooter, for times when the walk is just too much, or at the end of the day when being tired is a factor. But cabin choice would matter on this cruise. 

BTW---I think it a fabulous itinerary! 

I just came off a 28 day back to back south and north Japan with outside stops in Taiwan and Busan, Korea. If you are going to book this, look first and make sure that there are shore excursions available in Japan that you think you could do and book them right away.  There is a shortage of tour guides as many of the former ones found other employment during Covid and never came back to guiding.  We had very limited numbers of shore excursions. The ship offered a lot of information about how to get around on public transportation or by taxi.  You would likely have difficulty with public transportation as it most often involves long walks to get to a bus or train and then from there to the place you want to visit.  Taxis would be your other option.  They are probably not much more expensive than shore excursions but people who took them said drivers had limited English. You can get destinations written out in Japanese by the tourist information people in the terminals but you would have to research yourself what you are seeing because the driver is likely not too much help. It was also helpful to have Google translate on your smartphone with Japanese downloaded so it can be used offline. Learn how to use it. It is also very helpful in stores and restaurants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If walking is difficult, I would opt for a cruise that did not have a heavy port-port-port itinerary. Are there more sea days in one cruise over another? Because things are so close together in Japan, one does not have too much down time between ports.

Both are very interesting, but maybe for a first cruise I would pick the more comprehensive Asia one for its sheer variety. Japan is a concentrated dose covering a much smaller area - and more modern than historic or even "quaint".  But it is a must see country - some day. 

Japan felt safe and easy for self-travel, but it is not without challenges. But we found very friendly and helpful people when we needed them. But sometimes we felt quite stranded when suddenly we took a turn, there were no signs we could read or even figure out.  We always had to be aware of how we could get back to where we started from. 

My wife and I just returned from a 28 day cruise around Japan on the Westerdam. We had excursions booked thru Holland America for every port. Every excursion involved a lot of walking. Some people simply stayed on the bus due to their mobility issues. That's a pretty expensive bus ride. 

• Like 3

My apologies for  hi-jacking this thread - but I have a related question-

Like the OP we have Asia on "the list" for us and would be our first time, but we are looking at fall 2025 at the earliest  (vacation dance card is full until then). 

I have only been looking at itineraries of 15 nights or less (like the 14 day circle Japan HAL cruises). The reason to sticking to "shorter" options is largely driven by the fact we have a dog that we don't like to leave that long (that trip would push the boundaries)

Is a first cruise to Asia something we should just push off until the inevitable time after which our dog has "left for the farm" (he is just 9 now). 

I weigh getting more of these "bucket listers" in sooner rather than later while we are still in good health ourselves, even if it means shorter trips.

Should we just wait a few years for an Asian cruise until we can do a more extensive trip, or take a shorter one  when we have the availability and better health?

ronndonna, depending on where you are starting from, "Asia" is often a long way away for most North Americans, which means fighting jet lag for the early part of your cruise. This  is one reason to favor longer cruises in this area, over shorter ones.   Just a consideration, may not matter that much for you.

One way around this is to add a few extra days to the trip to your departure city, just to have a slower pace to get on your new "clock". Singapore is always our favorite Asia cruise departure point for an extended pre-cruise stay.

You ask an interesting question - what is it that intrigues you most about "Asia" since each itinerary will give you such a different exposure.

Travel in "Asia" probably puts the most health demands on travelers - there can be more heat, humidity, traffic, pollution, noise, and tracel distances from port to attractions - so one must be ready  and in good health to pack a lot into just two weeks, after a long and sleep robbing flight.

I personally love the color and intensity of this part of the world and have done many cruises and land trips, to get a range of what it has to offer. But all our cruises have been longer, and the shorter trips were land trips concentrating in only one city. Just Singapore; just Shanghai;  just Bangkok;  just Hanoi ......

17 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

ronndonna, depending on where you are starting from, "Asia" is often a long way away for most North Americans, which means fighting jet lag for the early part of your cruise. This  is one reason to favor longer cruises in this area, over shorter ones.   Just a consideration, may not matter that much for you.

One way around this is to add a few extra days to the trip to your departure city, just to have a slower pace to get on your new "clock". Singapore is always our favorite Asia cruise departure point for an extended pre-cruise stay.

You ask an interesting question - what is it that intrigues you most about "Asia" since each itinerary will give you such a different exposure.

Travel in "Asia" probably puts the most health demands on travelers - there can be more heat, humidity, traffic, pollution, noise, and tracel distances from port to attractions - so one must be ready  and in good health to pack a lot into just two weeks, after a long and sleep robbing flight.

I personally love the color and intensity of this part of the world and have done many cruises and land trips, to get a range of what it has to offer. But all our cruises have been longer, and the shorter trips were land trips concentrating in only one city. Just Singapore; just Shanghai;  just Bangkok;  just Hanoi ......

Thanks OlsSalt,

Jetlag and travel are certainly issues with us and more me as I am not a good sleeper (one of the reasons I like cruising, saves readjsuting to new surroundings). For a  shorter itinerary we would allow maybe 3-4 days pre cruise to try to adjust (so a 2 week cruise becomes a 3 week holiday).

Probably what intrigues me most about Asia is it is an area of the world I have yet to venture, but have been so heavily exposed to throughout my life (sheltered childhood as an army brat watching TV and  movies and then throughout my life working and becoming friends with many Asians. There is no area of the world I have met so many people from, heard so much about, but have yet to have been.

It's really quite overwhelming when I start to look at  options for itineraries, and it sounds like you have travelled Asia extensively so I really appreciate your input. For a first cruise - would we be better to

• start in Singapore, cruise a bit of China and then on to Vietnam/Cambodia or
  • start in Singapore with a bit of China and then on to Japan. 
  • I've ruled out Singapore round trip with exclusive China ports of call (maybe a mistake?)

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

For a first cruise - would we be better to

• I've ruled out Singapore round trip with exclusive China ports of call (maybe a mistake?)

I, too, have never been to Asia.  But I found and booked a 28 day Singapore to Yokohama cruise on Noordam in February 2025.  It calls in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, the Philippines, Taiwan, and several ports in Japan.  I also booked a 28 day RT from Singapore through Indonesia, New Guinea, and Northern Australia for January 2025

Perhaps those cruises are too long for you, but you do see a lot of Southeast Asia and a taste of Japan.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

I, too, have never been to Asia.  But I found and booked a 28 day Singapore to Yokohama cruise on Noordam in February 2025.  It calls in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, the Philippines, Taiwan, and several ports in Japan.  I also booked a 28 day RT from Singapore through Indonesia, New Guinea, and Northern Australia for January 2025

Perhaps those cruises are too long for you, but you do see a lot of Southeast Asia and a taste of Japan.

You have nailed our conundrum .... as "first" (possibly "only") timers to Asia - do we 

1. In 2025 - do a shorter cruises (something like the options I mentioned above)
  2. wait until 202..?  when we can do longer holidays and do something similar to you 28 day itinerary (which looks fantastic BTW).

Kinda leaning to the option of waiting a few years for Asia .... and taking something else off the "annual bucket list checkmark" holiday  that can be done within shorter timeframes.

Just now, rodndonna said:

You have nailed our conundrum .... as "first" (possibly "only") timers to Asia - do we 

1. In 2025 - do a shorter cruises (something like the options I mentioned above)
  2. wait until 202..?  when we can do longer holidays and do something similar to you 28 day itinerary (which looks fantastic BTW).

Kinda leaning to the option of waiting a few years for Asia .... and taking something else off the "annual bucket list checkmark" holiday  that can be done within shorter timeframes.

Not knowing what else is on your "bucket list", I'd think doing shorter cruises until you have the time to devote to a longer cruise in Asia makes sense.  Going to Asia is such a major proposition for someone living on the East Coast of the US, that when I do it, I want the most "bang for my buck", hence doing almost 60 days on two B2B cruises over there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Not knowing what else is on your "bucket list", I'd think doing shorter cruises until you have the time to devote to a longer cruise in Asia makes sense.  Going to Asia is such a major proposition for someone living on the East Coast of the US, that when I do it, I want the most "bang for my buck", hence doing almost 60 days on two B2B cruises over there.

We are Eastern (no longer Coastal although originally were) Canadians,  so Asia is a long trip for us as well.

Our "shorter" bucket list options - all of which can fit in under 2-3 weeks for us - 

• Full Canal transit  cruise (have visited Canal on land holiday and did a Partial cruise transit just after Covid, but never full transit)
  • Euro river cruise
  • Egyptian Nile cruise (we have done this many years ago but want to do it again)
  • Train across Canada and/or US (did this in my youth across Canada, but would now like to repeat it with hubby)
  • Golf themed cruise (we both golf)
  • Transatlantic cruise (preferably from New York)

and of course always looking for more options ..but we do have a few to pick through in the next few years before we tackle Asia. 

• Like 1

Of your list, my choices would be a TA on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 and the full Canal Transit. 

I've done TAs but not on Cunard, and that's on my list too.  I just did a full transit on the way back from South America, but doing California to Florida through the Canal (or vice versa) would be a good way to go as well, especially if you can do it on a Panamax ship so you can use the original locks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree, it is overwhelming when presented with the options. Good news is none of them are bad choices, and with your inherent curiosity I suspect you will find a way to do them all ......eventually. So just hold your nose, jump in and then plan on your next foray to finally get them all.

I have been traveling widely in this area, ever since the 1970's, when it was barely emerging into the modern world. Then re-visiting it every few years since. 

The phenomenal growth and modernization has been both daunting and disappointing over time. But the future of the world belongs to "Asia" today, by sheer population numbers alone,  so one really does need to see as much of it as possible since it factors so strongly in all our futures.

Only one real precaution, and unlikely you will run into it- but we were on a fantastic HAL Maasdam In Depth cruise that went from SF,  across Alaska and the Aleutians, Russia Far East, and two weeks around Japan ....... ending in August.  

August was fine for Alaska and Russia Far East, but the heat and humidity in Japan in August was crushing. The day we planned on visiting Kyoto, we ended up just staying on the air-conditioned train and went to the ancient capitol city Nara instead where we just sat on a park bench eating ice cream and drinking ice water. 

Spring or Fall are the better cruising times for "Asia" to avoid this heat/humidity issue - Singapore is almost on the equator so you almost can't win, but there are raining and dry (drier)  seasons.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Of your list, my choices would be a TA on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 and the full Canal Transit. 

I've done TAs but not on Cunard, and that's on my list too.  I just did a full transit on the way back from South America, but doing California to Florida through the Canal (or vice versa) would be a good way to go as well, especially if you can do it on a Panamax ship so you can use the original locks.

I somehow think if we are going to do a TA, it really should be Cunard QM, but I still have to beef up our clothing  ( Covid didn't help) before we can make that commitment 😉

Generally not a fan of worrying about what I wear beyond a Gala night or two, but seems might be worth it to experience the QM2 TA cruise. 

5 hours ago, rodndonna said:

I personally would pick the Singapore - Vietnam/Cambodia over the Japan - for your most "exotic" taste of Asia, though that is very rapidly changing.  

But yes, considering the global importance of China today, an exclusive China cruise is not a bad option at all. It helps to put so many China policy questions in context when you actually see more of the country itself. 

In some ways, because Japan is so much more "orderly" as a travel experience,  I would save if for when you want fewer travel hassles, while you are able can face the more raw experiences you can still encounter in the more off the beaten path choices - though nothing today is off the beaten path any longer.  Though Singapore it as orderly as one could dream about, yet still has pockets of low key charm. Good place to land after a long flight.

Plus Australians have been traveling into South East Asia long before we Northern Europeans started arriving in big numbers. What a surprise to see so much spaghetti and pizza already on the menus in impacted tourist locations in Vietnam! That was thanks (or not)  to the Australians.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I somehow think if we are going to do a TA, it really should be Cunard QM, but I still have to beef up our clothing  ( Covid didn't help) before we can make that commitment 😉

Generally not a fan of worrying about what I wear beyond a Gala night or two, but seems might be worth it to experience the QM2 TA cruise. 

We found  some our more formal travel mates on some cruises would often wear the same thing every night, and change only accessories.

But did they ever start out with a very expensive suit or ensemble. So while more formal for dinner, on some of these cruise lines, it was never a daily fashion parade. Plus that old packing tip - only the top needs to change, if you want variety since you are sitting down at dinner.

A few interchangeable and packable tops with a pair of black pants or skirt works for me. My own tip was to search for resale items online from a nice brand like Joseph Ribkoff (Canadian brand) - you could not get a wrinkle in their nicely stretchy and forgiving fabrics, even if you wanted to.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

We found  some our more formal travel mates on some cruises would often wear the same thing every night, and change only accessories.

But did they ever start out with a very expensive suit or ensemble. So while more formal for dinner, on some of these cruise lines, it was never a daily fashion parade. Plus that old packing tip - only the top needs to change, if you want variety since you are sitting down at dinner.

A few interchangeable and packable tops with a pair of black pants or skirt works for me. My own tip was to search for resale items online from a nice brand like Joseph Ribkoff (Canadian brand) - you could not get a wrinkle in their nicely stretchy and forgiving fabrics, even if you wanted to.

It's that darn Tux thing. Not sure if Cunard rents them onboard (is that still a thing) but buying a tuxedo for one cruise (would not be hubby's preference for normal Gala nights) is a but of a kicker.

7 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

It's that darn Tux thing. Not sure if Cunard rents them onboard (is that still a thing) but buying a tuxedo for one cruise (would not be hubby's preference for normal Gala nights) is a but of a kicker.

Online resale can be your friend for that item too - plus they don't have to be wool today. Lighter-weight packable fabrics work for men's formal wear too.  

Or, just plan to pass on dinner that evening ---but that is the whole point of choosing Cunard - indulging in their quickly disappearing cruise formality.

Good questions to ask on the Cunard forum - how are people working around their formal dress requirements? They could answer if they have them for rent too - which used to be the case on HAL ships - formal wear for both men and women - women got a sparkle top and long black skirt, and they even had dress shoes too. But that was several years ago. 

• Like 1

Quickly scanning HAL's Asia itineraries and if you want a 14 day cruise, I would pick anything that includes Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong for your most comprehensive survey of major Asian cities.  

Bangkok is the true stunner due to its lavish architecture and cuisine, but unfortunately today requires a long bus ride from the commercial port - though some cruise allow and over-night in the city for a more extended experience.

However, both Singapore and Hong Kong beg for a few extra days too. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

However, both Singapore and Hong Kong beg for a few extra days too. 

I'm planning on getting to Singapore at least 5 days before embarkation for both jet lag and touring the city and environs. 

Is it worth doing a full day excursion to Kuala Lumpur from Singapore?  I've seen a bus tour that leaves at about 0300 from Singapore and arrives early in the morning for a full day in KL and then back to Singapore in the evening.  I know I can ask this question in the Asia forum here on CC, but wondered about your thoughts since you seem to be a veteran of the area.

10 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I'm planning on getting to Singapore at least 5 days before embarkation for both jet lag and touring the city and environs. 

Is it worth doing a full day excursion to Kuala Lumpur from Singapore?  I've seen a bus tour that leaves at about 0300 from Singapore and arrives early in the morning for a full day in KL and then back to Singapore in the evening.  I know I can ask this question in the Asia forum here on CC, but wondered about your thoughts since you seem to be a veteran of the area.

We did a day bus trip to Malacca from Singapore once, which was more low key but interesting.

Not sure it would be worth it to go all the way to Kuala Lumpur on an overnight bus trip, but you know your travel comfort level. There is also a train that goes up the Malay Peninsula from the Singapore area, which I believe is fashioned somewhat on the Orient Express luxury trains.  Lots of green tropical and commercial vegetation country side along the way.  https://www.nomadicnotes.com/jungle-railway-malaysia/

However, KL is a very interesting but spread out city, so that would make a very densely packed trip. I  spent two weeks back in the 1980's there once attending a summer law program - How about Fundamentals of of Islamic Constitutional Law - back when the profile of Islam was still relatively unknown in the west. That was eye-opening.

Their famous Petronas Towers were just starting construction as a local bank's over kill pipe dream on what was at the time the remote outskirts of town - this unique building definitely put Malaysia on the map as one of the Asian tigers. Now these towers are the bustling center of the new Kuala Lumpur - again a former British colonial city that has roared into modern  life in the past few decades.  

It is an important Asian city, so since you have extra time before your cruise, and you don't mind the challenges of a long bus ride and packed day, sure why not? KL is a long bus ride from its alleged cruise port too. So there you have it. One will struggle one way or the other, in order to see  Kuala Lumpur.

You also must go through border formalities so that adds some down time to the trip. And remember how close you are to the equator - hot and humid much of the year. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Thanks 1