Crown princess or Cunard Queen Elizabeth to Alaska?

BRDbabies

Both are 11 night itineraries RT Vancouver. Will be my third time to Alaska - once with Princess (my mom (age 70 & I) and once with HAL (my three teenagers, husband and I). This trip will be my mom and her friend (now age 80), my 14 year old great niece and I.

I know Princess does Alaska well and I have always been very happy with their service, food, public areas etc. in my 4 times on board with them. I have no experience with Cunard. Any advice would be welcome!

Absolutely, unequivocally Cunard for me.  I was on the Queen Elizabeth on her maiden trip to Alaska.  I lived in England for a few years, and it was like a vacation in England with the bonus of Alaska thrown in.  High tea and tea dances in the Queen's Room, drinking in the pub, and the best dinner table mates ever.  

2 hours ago, BRDbabies said:

Both are 11 night itineraries RT Vancouver. Will be my third time to Alaska - once with Princess (my mom (age 70 & I) and once with HAL (my three teenagers, husband and I). This trip will be my mom and her friend (now age 80), my 14 year old great niece and I.

I know Princess does Alaska well and I have always been very happy with their service, food, public areas etc. in my 4 times on board with them. I have no experience with Cunard. Any advice would be welcome!

What are the itineraries?

DON

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Cunard 

Van-Sitka-Glacier Bay-Hubbard Glacier-Haines-Juneau-Icy Strait Point-Ketchikan-Victoria-Van

with two days at sea interspersed 

Princess

Van-Sitka-Icy Strait-Hubbard-Juneau-Haines-Ketchikan-Victoria-Van

and 3 sea days

Both are end of July-Early August sailings. Looking at one balcony and one Oceanview cabin. The three adults are one glass of wine a day, plain old coffee/tea and regular tap water drinkers and the teenager isn’t a heavy soda drinker, so would probs just pay on individual basis for such. Internet access is a must, for teenager and myself who will need to do a

bit of work while on board.

The internet quality is not something that Cunard is known for, honestly.

It has a reputation for not being as advanced technologically as other lines.

Supposedly they enhanced their internet, but passengers still complain about it.

So just be aware that Princess is likely much better on internet.

We love Cunard- but we also love dressing up at night.

There is a dress code on Cunard after 6pm. It is part of the tradition of sailing on Cunard.

There will be 2 Gala Nights (formal dress code) and the rest of the evenings will be smart attire nights.

So you do need to think about that with your family. Do you enjoy that part of traditional cruising?

I think that Cunard has the better itinerary.

The only other thing that I think you need to think about is your 14 year old niece. Think about her personality and what she likes from a cruise.

There typically are more kids and teens on a Princess cruise than you would typically see on Cunard.

Cunard does not often have as many on board- Alaska may be an exception because it is a popular place for many generations of a family to cruise together. I would have absolutely LOVED Cunard at her age, but I would never take my nieces on a Cunard cruise- because it would not be their thing. Just be aware.

Again, Cunard is our favorite line. BUT that said, I think it is smart for cruisers to be smart in their research. Know what your family likes.

Cunard goes to Glacier Bay and Hubbard.  Princess doesn't go to Glacier Bay.  This means that w Princess you get a maybe glacier.  With Cunard you get a for certain glacier and a maybe glacier.  You have to ask?

DON

15 minutes ago, GoDucksNation said:

Princess DOES go to glacier bay.  Royal Princess going there all season 

Not according to the itinerary posted by the OP who did not post the name of their ship.  Are you sure that ALL of the Princess ships that are doing AK do Glacier Bay for EVERY cruise.

DON

Cunard in Alaska is a bit more casual, but still dressier than Princess.  Many women wore black pants and a glittery top to formal night and were fine.  Other nights they wore slacks and a nice top.  Men are required to wear a jacket or sports coat in the dining room and add a tie on formal nights.  A number of kilts were present as well.  There were a lot of ballroom dancers and they dressed up for the tea dances and balls.  

Cunard also has a great guest speaker program.  I heard Rachel Cartwright, who wrote the Princess Cruise Companion book, is the naturalist for part of the summer, and I saw that one of the featured speakers is Bear Grylls.