Mariner Questions

mmtska

My mom and I are going to be on the Mariner in 2 months and I need some facts and opinions. We currently have an ocean view balcony, but got a Royal Up email for a chance to bid for a spacious ocean balcony which-meh-or a Junior Suite. We're not going to try for the Grand Suite, but that's there too. So first off-is it worth it to bid for a chance for a Jr Suite?? Mom agreed to $150 pp max, so that might be a moot point. I like the fact that we're on the hump of deck 7 right now with only cabins above and below us, and I think I saw the Jr Suites are on 9 (fine) or 10 (idk about being under the pools and Windjammer because noise.  

2nd-I guess this doesn't matter which room, but do either the balcony rooms or the Jr Suites have outlets by the beds?

3rd-we're on an 8 night sailing and trying to figure out how many formal/elegant/dress your best (whatever they're called) are on the ship for the length, and when they might be. I'm guessing the 2nd night and the last sea day (CocoCay is our last day). Just trying to plan a little-it's my mom's first and likely only cruise, so I'd like it to go smoothly.

Thanks!

We love hump cabins on the Voyager  (and Freedom) classes.  I would not bid for a "spacious ocean balcony" cabin, but for sure I would bid on a JS, since those normally have loungers on the balcony. I'd bid a lot more than $150 for a JS bid, for sure. 

It's been a while, but I remember charging was a pain in the butt on those ships due to no outlets except around the desk. But, perhaps something was added in the 2018 refurb. 

Can I ask - what is your sailing date?  We're mid August - and I'm hoping for Royal Up opportunity. IF it comes, I'm thinking we'll see it about 6-8 weeks in advance. 

36 minutes ago, mmtska said:

So first off-is it worth it to bid for a chance for a Jr Suite??

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you and for how much. It's not worth anything to me but I don't care about my cabin. Be aware that you do not get double points when you Royal Up to a suite if that makes any difference to you.

49 minutes ago, mmtska said:

2nd-I guess this doesn't matter which room, but do either the balcony rooms or the Jr Suites have outlets by the beds?

We had an OV Balcony at the rear of the ship on Deck 10.  There were NO outlets next to the beds.  I had to run an extension cord (provided by RCI) from the desk area to the bed for my CPAP.

1 hour ago, Toddcan said:

We love hump cabins on the Voyager  (and Freedom) classes.  I would not bid for a "spacious ocean balcony" cabin, but for sure I would bid on a JS, since those normally have loungers on the balcony. I'd bid a lot more than $150 for a JS bid, for sure. 

It's been a while, but I remember charging was a pain in the butt on those ships due to no outlets except around the desk. But, perhaps something was added in the 2018 refurb. 

Can I ask - what is your sailing date?  We're mid August - and I'm hoping for Royal Up opportunity. IF it comes, I'm thinking we'll see it about 6-8 weeks in advance. 

Yeah I think my mom is set on $300 total for the upgrade, so if we get it for that low? Cool. If not? It’ll be ok. We’re going to be sailing June 23-July 1 and I got the email on Monday, so about 60 days out. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you and for how much. It's not worth anything to me but I don't care about my cabin. Be aware that you do not get double points when you Royal Up to a suite if that makes any difference to you.

I’m not worried about point. Mom will likely never sail again and this is my first Royal. I don’t really care, I wanted the balcony, but this is also probably the only time I’ll get a chance to do this hahah.

57 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We had an OV Balcony at the rear of the ship on Deck 10.  There were NO outlets next to the beds.  I had to run an extension cord (provided by RCI) from the desk area to the bed for my CPAP.

That’s what I figured. Guessing there won’t be in a suite either. Thank you!

Royal up can assign you any JS.  The ones on the aft, especially deck 6 are less than ideal as the super structure of the ship really interferes with your view.  You look straight down to a deck, not the ocean. IMHO you have better ocean views from your current balcony. You could also be assigned an accessible JS which has a roll in shower instead of a bath tub.        You might want to check out some YouTube videos to see if this is something you would be happy with before you submit a bid.  Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.  We board Mariner in Sept in JS 1104 - can’t wait!

3 hours ago, mmtska said:

10 (idk about being under the pools and Windjammer because noise.  

I have been on deck 10 right under the Windjammer many times on Voyager and Freedom class ships and have never had problem with noise from above.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I have been on deck 10 right under the Windjammer many times on Voyager and Freedom class ships and have never had problem with noise from above.

Had an interior on deck 10 under the WJ on Indy twice not too long ago... no noise and loved the location (which is why I moved to it the 2nd time).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Had an interior on deck 10 under the WJ on Indy twice not too long ago... no noise and loved the location (which is why I moved to it the 2nd time).

I've had aft and corner aft cabins on Adventure, Mariner, Navigator and Liberty.  When booking those are my go to cabins.  I love the corner afts the most!

22 hours ago, mmtska said:

3rd-we're on an 8 night sailing and trying to figure out how many formal/elegant/dress your best (whatever they're called) are on the ship for the length, and when they might be. I'm guessing the 2nd night and the last sea day (CocoCay is our last day). Just trying to plan a little-it's my mom's first and likely only cruise, so I'd like it to go smoothly.

Thanks!

Well mom shot the bid for the suite down. She wants a for sure unobstructed view and when I told her it could very well be one of the aft suites, she didn't want to chance it. Thanks ya'll!

But uh-does anyone know about the "formal" nights on an 8 dayer?

Aft cabins, especially the JS are my favourite ones on the ship. I try and stay away from deck 8 because deck 9 and 10 can look down on your balcony from above. Safest best is deck 7.  But, when they say obstructed view - it looks like this... View from Balcony of Aft Cabin, Voyager of the Seas, Deck 7, cabin 7692 -  YouTube

1 hour ago, mmtska said:

Well mom shot the bid for the suite down. She wants a for sure unobstructed view and when I told her it could very well be one of the aft suites, she didn't want to chance it. Thanks ya'll!

But uh-does anyone know about the "formal" nights on an 8 dayer?

Normally, formal nights are on the 1st and last sea day (but never on the night before returning to port); there will still only be 2 for an 8-nighter. IMO, a "spacious" OV is not worth any upcharge; however, a JS bid, even at $150pp, would be worth a shot if you'd rather have a tub vs the tube shower, as well as the upgraded toiletries for the shower. On the other hand, the "hump" balconies have great views of both ends of the ship!! Enjoy your cruise! Cheers!

On 4/26/2023 at 3:09 PM, Toddcan said:

On 4/26/2023 at 3:35 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Sailed mariner last week in a Balcony deck 6.  There was a USB port on the side of the phone.  Helpful!

(FYI and off topic, but I believe Indy phones had a USB  port as well.)

M  

Edited by cruisegirl1

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Sailed mariner last week in a Balcony deck 6.  There was a USB port on the side of the phone.  Helpful!

(FYI and off topic, but I believe Indy phones had a USB  port as well.)

M  

Ok yes this is definitely helpful!! Thank you!