Using GB £ Sterling for tips

Markj

I did a search and could not find anything about this.

In September we are on Prima going from Iceland down through Norway, Netherlands, Belgium and returning to Southampton. Having cruised a number of times we know the onboard currency is US$ and we can use our onboard account for most things and pay on our CC at the end.

However, we will be tipping staff in the Haven so is it OK to use GB£ for this to save me having to bring US$ along?

Thanks in advance

You can tip in whatever currency you choose, but obviously it may impact how pleased the recipient is to get it.

Dollars have the benefit of being able to be used easier onboard. When sailing in Europe I sometimes tip in Euros as they can be used when ashore. I once asked a bartender if he had a preference and he said it didn’t really matter, but a Euro is worth more than a dollar.

This issue I would have with using pounds in your case is how easily would they be able to use them. If Southampton is just a turn around port and there aren’t any other UK stops then they will have to get them converted themselves, which may be a problem.

If you have any Euros then I suspect that would be preferable, but I can’t imagine they will complain if you give them pounds.

1 hour ago, Markj said:

In September we are on Prima going from Iceland down through Norway, Netherlands, Belgium and returning to Southampton. Having cruised a number of times we know the onboard currency is US$ and we can use our onboard account for most things and pay on our CC at the end.

Any tip would be appreciated. 

But, the value of your tip to the crew member would be reduced. You are on the last or second to last voyage that calls in in the UK (the ship goes to the Med for a few cruises before returning to the US after your cruise). So, the crew member is going to end up exchanging the GBP to USD (most likely) at the unfavorable exchange rate on the ship. 

there is an area by guest services where the person can exchange your currency to u.s. dollars as long as the amount you want isnt excessive. (there are others who wish to do the same thing) 

while tip is a tip, and the staff will be more than grateful, i believe most of them would prefer u.s. dollars.

a suggestion, before you go, why dont you go to your bank and exchange some of your currency to dollars. i usually do the opposite, change my dollars to mostly euros. some places (a great many) in italy only want euros.

2 minutes ago, complawyer said:

there is an area by guest services where the person can exchange your currency to u.s. dollars as long as the amount you want isnt excessive. (there are others who wish to do the same thing) 

while tip is a tip, and the staff will be more than grateful, i believe most of them would prefer u.s. dollars.

a suggestion, before you go, why dont you go to your bank and exchange some of your currency to dollars. i usually do the opposite, change my dollars to mostly euros. some places (a great many) in italy only want euros.

I don't know about @Markj but I do know in Ireland that the banks here don't stock US$ as standard anymore and even if they do have them it's larger denominations. I wind up going to the main post office to get dollars before my trips and then when I get stateside I go to a local bank to get US$1 bills or even US$5.