SCOOTER RENTAL

lovespositano

I am considering renting a scooter for my partially handicapped husband.  Can anyone tell me if they take up too much room in the cabin to move around freely?  On the Equinox, for instance, where would you put the scooter when you're in the cabin?  Thanks for any advice.

If you're in a regular cabin, you will have to store the scooter in the hallway.  I've used one in a suite which is not a problem, but they will not fit in a regular cabin.  The last time I had one in a regular cabin, Guest Relations sent up a helpful electrician who figured out that I could use the plug behind the TV and run it out under the door to charge the scooter.  This was on an M class ship.  You might need a longer cord on an S class ship.

Depending on the size of the ecv, it may not even fit through the door.  Have you checked the availability of an accessible cabin? An ecv would fit in one of those. I'm surprised to hear that the ship would permit ecvs being left in the hallway, as it would present a big obstacle for both passengers and crew, and a safety issue. 

You might want to ask this on the disabled criuise forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

you will have to store the scooter in the hallway. 

I personally have no experience, but can't magine that for safety reasons they would allow a scooter to be stored in the hall.  

Edited by jwlane

Contact Celebrity's Access Dept.    at (954) 628-9708 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, or send an e-mail to special_needs@celebrity.com.

Scooters have to be stored in your stateroom.   And hop over to the Disabled Cruise board as previously mentioned.   Lots of discussions about scooters.

You will probably need an accessible stateroom. 

We were on a B2B and changed cabins for the second leg.  One cruise we had the bed by the balcony configuration…on the other the bed by bathroom.  The scooter (and both of us!) fit easily in both.  (See my pictures above.)

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea.  They know what size the cabins are and will tell you what will fit.  I had this scooter on Equinox in a regular (not a handicap cabin) in January 2020.

IMG_1305.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg

IMG_1302.jpeg

That was EXACTLY what I needed!!!  Many thanks!!

Well, my scooter was stored in the hallway.  With the blessing of the ship.  It did not cause any problems.  It would not have fit in that M class concierge cabin.

I had heard that some stateroom attendants would take the scooter away to be charged at night.  My attendant looked at me like a deer in the headlights when I asked him about that, thus my interaction with Guest Relations.  GR took the scooter away the first night and charged it and then sent an electrician up to figure out a solution for the rest of the cruise.

We have been on cruise lines that don't seem to care if the scooter is parked in the hallway, and others that won't let you due to obstruction purposes.   I would advise calling the cruise line and getting info directly from them.   

On 4/29/2023 at 12:07 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Well, my scooter was stored in the hallway.  With the blessing of the ship.  It did not cause any problems.  It would not have fit in that M class concierge cabin.

I had heard that some stateroom attendants would take the scooter away to be charged at night.  My attendant looked at me like a deer in the headlights when I asked him about that, thus my interaction with Guest Relations.  GR took the scooter away the first night and charged it and then sent an electrician up to figure out a solution for the rest of the cruise.

I cannot tell you how many times I was blocked in the hallways of celebrity ships when people parked their mobility scooters in the hall. I am a full-time scooter, user and would never park my scooter in the hallway. It’s difficult enough to get around the housekeeping carts in a scooter, much less having to fight your way around somebody else’s scooter. 

Edited by kitty9
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2