Golden Circle or South Coast tour -- one day from Reykjavik

cruisemom42

Let me start by saying I have limited interest in natural beauty/sites. I will have 2.5 days in Reykjavik prior to boarding a cruise in August. One of those days I plan to spend seeing sights and museums (main interest is in Iceland's Viking history) in Reykjavik itself. I only want to take one tour to visit the natural sites near Reykjavik (I will have other opportunities at other Iceland ports).

Which tour is preferable? I don't really care about the thermal baths, so that's not necessary. It seems some of the Golden Circle stops are at least associated with Viking history or sagas (Godafoss falls, Thingvallir), but also I think this is the more crowded circuit. 

Does one of the two tours offer a much more photogenic experience?  I would particularly love to hear from @Turtles06 as I know you are also into photography and have posted on Iceland.

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Does one of the two tours offer a much more photogenic experience?  I would particularly love to hear from @Turtles06 as I know you are also into photography and have posted on Iceland.

Hi @cruisemom42, I'm flattered by your tag.  ☺️

I've done both the Golden Circle and South Coast tours, and they are both wonderful ways to spend a day.  The question of which of these two tours to do (if someone is only going to do one) is asked often on here as you've probably seen.

As a general matter, when I encounter that question, I tend to suggest the South Coast tour because of the spectacular natural beauty.  From start to finish, it's a gorgeous day, with highlights along the way, including the black sand beach and basalt columns of Reynisfjara, and a number of beautiful waterfalls.  Lots to photograph of course, and possibly a more "photogenic" day overall than the Golden Circle.  Or, at least, more sweeping vistas, given the nearby ocean! 

In your case, though, given your specific interest in history, you might find the Golden Circle tour more substantively interesting.  You mentioned Thingvellir, which I'm sure you know is a UNESCO World Heritage site and of course one of the three highlights of the Golden Circle.  It's where the parliament of Iceland began in the late 10th Century, and (especially if you have a good guide or guide book) there is much history to be learned about how that came about and what came next.  It's the original site of the world's longest running parliament.

Thingvellir was also a thrill for me as someone interested in geology, since it's the only place in the world where the Mid-Atlantic Rift is above sea level, and it was an absolute thrill to walk alongside the North American tectonic plate.  Photo op right there that you can't get anywhere else (above ground)!

The other two highlights of the Golden Circle are the Gullfoss waterfall (Godafoss is outside Akureyri), which is huge and spectacular (more of a Niagara Falls type view than the vertical bands of waterfalls of the South Coast), and the Geysir geothermal area.  If you've been to Yellowstone, you aren't likely to be wowed by the latter, but it's still lovely and you can get some good photos of a geyser erupting.  

I hope I've offered some useful information.  I know you research your travel well, so I'm sure you will do sufficient reading and look at images,and think about what would be most important for your day.  I don't think you can go wrong either way, and I hope you enjoy whichever you choose!   (And the rest of your trip of course!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The History Museum is well worth a full day. There is so much to see and it is exhibited in chronological order. There is a small cafe where you can have a light lunch/coffee. I have spent hours in this museum and return every time I am in Reykjavik.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The other two highlights of the Golden Circle are the Gullfoss waterfall (Godafoss is outside Akureyri),

Oops, sorry -- it was late last night when I posted and I'm still a bit jet lagged from Japan.

Thank you for your input -- definitely adds food for thought.

• Thanks 1

Goðafoss isn't part of the Golden Circle or the South Coast tour.  It is in northern Iceland.

I've done both tours 3 times.  Both are exciting to us every time.  If I could only chose one it would be South Coast, but we are more into the spectacular scenery and glacier you see there, you don't get a glacier on the Golden Circle