Manhattan Cruise Terminal Now Accepts Parking Reservations

njhorseman

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Why? It’s an extra $5 for them, to the best of my knowledge they’ve never turned cars away.

I have heard of cars being turned away. Someone on one of our cruise roll calls a few years ago told me they were turned away and had to park off site and I've read at least one other report on Cruise Critic of it happening.

It's rare and has only happened when someone arrives late in the afternoon during the peak summer cruise season when additional cruise lines are using Manhattan as a seasonal homeport.

For anyone who's anxious about the possibility I think it's worth the additional $5 cost.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I have heard of cars being turned away. Someone on one of our cruise roll calls a few years ago told me they were turned away and had to park off site and I've read at least one other report on Cruise Critic of it happening.

It's rare and has only happened when someone arrives late in the afternoon during the peak summer cruise season when additional cruise lines are using Manhattan as a seasonal homeport.

For anyone who's anxious about the possibility I think it's worth the additional $5 cost.

I have never heard it of seen it here. We had to park at 90 due to 88 being completely used by fleet week. I think it’s a clever cash grab though.

Driving to Manhattan from Niagara Falls for cruise. ANY and ALL suggestions on parking would be appreciated!!!

We are staying overnight in Bethlehem PA, so about a 2 hour drive cruise day to port.

3 hours ago, Bee287 said:

Driving to Manhattan from Niagara Falls for cruise. ANY and ALL suggestions on parking would be appreciated!!!

We are staying overnight in Bethlehem PA, so about a 2 hour drive cruise day to port.

Why not park at the Cruise Terminal itself?  Nothing more convenient and the price is reasonable as far as NYC parking goes

On 5/13/2023 at 11:17 AM, mjkacmom said:

Why? It’s an extra $5 for them, to the best of my knowledge they’ve never turned cars away.

I've shown up and there were only 3 parking spots left, I heard people onboard talking about being turned away from the parking structure. I would pay the $5 for piece of mind. 

I emailed the account manager who said "just get there early".  We'll leave PA and plan to get there about 10am-ish.  I did not see any place to reserve but I'll look again. I have been known to miss things.

There was a list of departing cruises, but ours was not listed. Also, when I clicked on it and surrounding days, it said there was no reserved parking available.

47 minutes ago, x lindsay x said:

I've shown up and there were only 3 parking spots left, I heard people onboard talking about being turned away from the parking structure. I would pay the $5 for piece of mind. 

What time did you show up?

16 hours ago, Bee287 said:

What time did you show up?

Between 10-11am. It was a few years ago so I don't know if things have changed based on ship capacity - I think there were 2 NCL and 1 Carnival ships regularly using the port at that time. When we were checked in and waiting to get onboard there were still tons of people coming off the ship. So maybe just an anomaly. 

The problem with getting there early is that not everyone will be off the ship yet, yes some express debark people will be off early but the NYC has always been notoriously slow at getting people off. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy to have found this thread with updated info on parking at the Manhattan terminal. We've been sailing out of Bayonne since the post-covid cruising re-start, but will be leaving from Manhattan  in January for the first time in several years. We'll reserve and pre-pay when our Venezia cruise date becomes available on the site....gonna be paying for parking at the terminal anyway, why not get that expense out of the way beforehand and be assured of having a parking spot.

• 2 weeks later...

JUST Found out this past week that all sailings are not including pre booking the parking.    I wonder why an August sailing is different from a sailing in Dec.    Guy said if you dont see it offered-- its not being done for your sailing 

I’m sailing NCL Joy embarking on July 1. When I checked the parking reservation site a few days ago the fee was $4.95. FYI, when I went back on the NYCruise site tonight to book my reservation the fee has been raised to $9.95. 

8 hours ago, weisla said:

I’m sailing NCL Joy embarking on July 1. When I checked the parking reservation site a few days ago the fee was $4.95. FYI, when I went back on the NYCruise site tonight to book my reservation the fee has been raised to $9.95. 

Brilliant on their part, offering prepaid reservations makes it look like reservations are needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Came here to look into this and glad I’m not crazy. I knew I had never seen this before, even as recently as February when we sailed on Getaway. They’re not now requiring reservations, though, correct? It’s just an option? I know how stupid it sounds when spending money for a cruise and over $300 for parking, but the extra $10 for the privilege of booking ahead online grinds my gears a bit.

9 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

Came here to look into this and glad I’m not crazy. I knew I had never seen this before, even as recently as February when we sailed on Getaway. They’re not now requiring reservations, though, correct? It’s just an option? I know how stupid it sounds when spending money for a cruise and over $300 for parking, but the extra $10 for the privilege of booking ahead online grinds my gears a bit.

Reservations are not required.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dorhead1230 said:

But it’s brilliant on their end! If reservations are offered, folks will think they are needed and pay extra.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

But it’s brilliant on their end! If reservations are offered, folks will think they are needed and pay extra.

Based on the questions about reserving a parking space I've seen posted on this board over the years I'm reasonably sure it was done in response to a significant demand for reservations.  Why shouldn't a business offer a product or service that apparently is in demand?

Here’s a follow-up question I just thought of—are they actually reserving spots for those who book ahead online? Not as in a specific parking space, but an area of the lot or something? Or do they just keep a count of cars and add the number of reservations to the total or something, to make sure there are spots saved? Just curious if it’s really actually doing anything to reserve it online or if they’ll just send you next door to 90 anyway if they fill up. 🤔

Edited by Dorhead1230

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Based on the questions about reserving a parking space I've seen posted on this board over the years I'm reasonably sure it was done in response to a significant demand for reservations.  Why shouldn't a business offer a product or service that apparently is in demand?

Because it doesn’t fill up, and if it does you just park next door at 90. Some have claimed to have read posts of folks not being able to park, but so far I’ve never seen it. The fact that they take reservations leads people to believe it might fill up.