Passport panic! Can’t get past the passport expiry warning to check in

Tan210

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Is the six month rule no longer applicable to EU? 

If you refer to the passport rule, then most certainly the Princess cruises T&Cs require 6 months validity when your cruise starts, so I imagine that P&O will be the same.

On 4/30/2023 at 9:46 AM, Tan210 said:

Hey going on my first cruise on 16/05 and trying to check in but can’t get past the passport expiry warning. My passport has the necessary validity on for my destination. Any ideas? Thanks 

Ignore the expiry date on your passport. Look at the issue date, and add 10 years, then take off six months. That is the latest valid date.

P&O (and most other cruise lines) insist on this because even though the ship might not intend on entering a port where it is required, it might end up there anyway. And in case of a medical emergency you might be taken to a country where the rules apply.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 9:54 AM, Tan210 said:

It was issued on 9/9/13 expires 9/9/23 and going to Amsterdam 🙂

So it is only valid (for cruising purposes) until 9th March 23. Which has passed.

As I said above, you may intend on going to Amsterdam but may not end up there.

31 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Ignore the expiry date on your passport. Look at the issue date, and add 10 years, then take off six months. That is the latest valid date.

P&O (and most other cruise lines) insist on this because even though the ship might not intend on entering a port where it is required, it might end up there anyway. And in case of a medical emergency you might be taken to a country where the rules apply.

Well explained. Glad I renewed last  year! 

31 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

So it is only valid (for cruising purposes) until 9th March 23. Which has passed.

As I said above, you may intend on going to Amsterdam but may not end up there.

Oh the person on the helpline said it was fine 

55 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Its 3 months for EU not 6 so that would make it 9 June 23. You are OK.

As I commented earlier Princess T&Cs require 6 monnths validity as explained to me yesterday by my TA, and since both they and P&O are part of Carnival I would expect them both to have the same passport rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rupert2251 said:

Its 3 months for EU not 6 so that would make it 9 June 23. You are OK.

As I said above cruise ships don't always end up where they aim for. Therefore, to avoid stranding passengers in a country for which they don't have the proper paperwork, cruiselines enforce the stricter protocols.

I can absolutely assure you that this was the situation when I travelled with my grandchildren recently who had more than 3 months and less than 6 months left, the check in staff dealt with my wife and I and once done the girls checked in at a separate desk specifically for those who couldn’t check in line. 

Edited by devonuk
Error
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

As I commented earlier Princess T&Cs require 6 monnths validity as explained to me yesterday by my TA, and since both they and P&O are part of Carnival I would expect them both to have the same passport rules.

Government website states 3 months for Netherlands and P&O have already confirmed this for the OP.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Government website states 3 months for Netherlands and P&O have already confirmed this for the OP.

That is irrelevant. The Government say you CAN travel with three moths left. They don't say P&O HAVE to let you travel with only three months left. If you want to cruise with P&O you abide with their rules. One employee, who gives the wrong information, cannot change the whole company's T&Cs. P&Os 'help' centre is notorious for giving out duff info.

It is 3 months for EU for U.K. passports .That’s the rule. Cruise company’s do not have any right to overrule this.
But many seem to have a 6 month stipulation probably as a catch all. If you phone them you will be accepted with 3 months validity on return date.

Also EU  passport holders only need validity until expiry date of passport on date of return even it’s the same day for example an EU passport holder travelling on P&O from U.K. to EU . Cruise companies do not make the immigration rules.

Have had this issue with Marella and P&O previously and have been there and done it.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

That is irrelevant. The Government say you CAN travel with three moths left. They don't say P&O HAVE to let you travel with only three months left. If you want to cruise with P&O you abide with their rules. One employee, who gives the wrong information, cannot change the whole company's T&Cs. P&Os 'help' centre is notorious for giving out duff info.

Wrong !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Wrong !

How! I'm not quibbling about the government (or EU rules), but if P&O don't want to take someone on board (for whatever reason) they don't have to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

How! I'm not quibbling about the government (or EU rules), but if P&O don't want to take someone on board (for whatever reason) they don't have to.

With regards to immigration rules they do and they will and they have done.
They cannot make up their own immigration rules. It’s just lack of attention to detail on their part. You will have no problem if you phone them or when you check in.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

With regards to immigration rules they do and they will and they have done.
They cannot make up their own immigration rules. It’s just lack of attention to detail on their part. You will have no problem if you phone them or when you check in.

I have no idea whether you are right or wrong, but I do know that my TA warned me that we must obey the Princess T&Cs on the 6 month rule. So faced with that warning it would be fool hardy to rely on the sympathy of the cruise line rather than ensure you renew your passport early.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have no idea whether you are right or wrong, but I do know that my TA warned me that we must obey the Princess T&Cs on the 6 month rule. So faced with that warning it would be fool hardy to rely on the sympathy of the cruise line rather than ensure you renew your passport early.

Yes - I agree and saves any hassle.

Just pointing out that when this has been questioned or at checkin the correct rules have been followed so people with less than six but greater than 3 have been allowed on for EU cruises.

This also came up on the Marella board- they have same 6 month t&c - Marella replied to someone and accepted that the 6 months was just a catch all but that 3 or more was valid and acceptable for U.K. passport to EU.

Thanks everyone. I’ve left it too late to renew my passport now and going by the gov.uk guidance and the advice given by the P &O cruise helpline I’m confident I’ll be ok. I do appreciate the circumstance if you end up in a destination with different rules but given it’s a 4 day trip to Amsterdam it’s unlikely I’ll end up anywhere outside EU 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tan210 said:

Thanks everyone. I’ve left it too late to renew my passport now and going by the gov.uk guidance and the advice given by the P &O cruise helpline I’m confident I’ll be ok. I do appreciate the circumstance if you end up in a destination with different rules but given it’s a 4 day trip to Amsterdam it’s unlikely I’ll end up anywhere outside EU 🙂 

Have a great trip. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tan210 said:

Let’s us know how you get on when you board the ship 

• Like 2