When can I drop off my carryon?

geovet

36 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Disagree.  If the room door is shut and your keys are there they are done and you can have your room.  I had a room steward specifically tell me that.  

They don't put the keys out until they are done.

Used to be fine but not now.  They may still have room deliveries and they don't want guests in rooms while they are dropping off items in room.  The room attendants don't deliver these items. Also guests in rooms can't resist calling room attendants or stopping them for extras while they are rushing to finish other rooms.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 9:43 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

FYI, Seattle is returning to the pre-Covid embarkation procedures where there will be a Priority Line, an On Time line and and Early/Late line.  (During the Covid / ArriveCan seasons of '21 & '22, Seattle checked in passengers as they arrived at Pier 91).  This year staff will be checking arrival times.

According to folks that boarded this week it was chaos as usual and there were not separate lines.  I am hoping it was just first week crazy and they are actually going back to the lines.  Seattle was our worst embarking we have had ever (and I go out of Galveston a lot so that is saying something lol)

On 5/4/2023 at 7:27 AM, Elaine5715 said:

Used to be fine but not now.  They may still have room deliveries and they don't want guests in rooms while they are dropping off items in room.  The room attendants don't deliver these items. Also guests in rooms can't resist calling room attendants or stopping them for extras while they are rushing to finish other rooms.

This plus all the extra people in the hallways getting in the way. Oh, but I just need this one more thing. It won't take you more than a couple of minutes.

I never understand the obsession with even going to drop off your carryon before 1:30. Most people will be either eating, sitting in the sun, or sitting at a bar anyway. Just put your backpack on the floor and eat or whatever. If you can't carry it maybe you brought too much. Yes I do know that some people go to the buffet and camp out at several tables with luggage on the chairs but that is not what I mean. There is plenty of room behind or under the tables.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 7:37 AM, csm5986142 said:

Totally agree - we were planning to quickly drop our carry-ons (we always try to be quick and stay out of their way).  Our room steward saw us heading for the cabin and he came down, introduced himself and gave us our S&S cards and told us we could stay in the room if we'd like (we didn't).  This was our 14th cruise since cruising resumed, and only the second time our cabin has been ready that early so I just wanted to give them props.

Oooooo, you beat me with cruises after Restart! My Sunshine cruise on Monday puts me at 9 after Restart!👍

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

This plus all the extra people in the hallways getting in the way. Oh, but I just need this one more thing. It won't take you more than a couple of minutes.

I never understand the obsession with even going to drop off your carryon before 1:30. Most people will be either eating, sitting in the sun, or sitting at a bar anyway. Just put your backpack on the floor and eat or whatever. If you can't carry it maybe you brought too much. Yes I do know that some people go to the buffet and camp out at several tables with luggage on the chairs but that is not what I mean. There is plenty of room behind or under the tables.

True but if you are traveling with an 85 year old mom like me, you want to drop off your bags and move on more easily supporting your mom and not dragging suitcases or bags.  Having said that, we are checking our bags with the porters but need to drop off a carryon (champagne!) in the room. There ya go!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

True but if you are traveling with an 85 year old mom like me, you want to drop off your bags and move on more easily supporting your mom and not dragging suitcases or bags.  Having said that, we are checking our bags with the porters but need to drop off a carryon (champagne!) in the room. There ya go!

The beauty of a backpack. Leaves both hands free. I’m a 75 year old female and have no problem carrying all we need for an overnight if needed, two bottles of wine and a few sodas, bathroom bag and chargers. 

Just now, 2wheelin said:

The beauty of a backpack. Leaves both hands free. I’m a 75 year old female and have no problem carrying all we need for an overnight if needed, two bottles of wine and a few sodas, bathroom bag and chargers. 

I'm the one with the backpack and a carryon wheeling on the champagne😁. Mom has a wheelchair with a pusher.  When she was 75 before her stroke she was very functional. I'll let you know how goes this Monday on Sunshine👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Some people choose not to check bags.  We can pack for an entire week in two legit airplane carry on size suite cases.  So it isn't a case of bringing too much.

We like to drop our bags so we don't have to lug them around the ship with us.  Since it is an option for us we take advantage of it.  It is not an obsession but a practicality.  We keep a shoulder bag with us.

I have been on far too many cruises with luggage missing (and my mothers went missing once, but luckily was found around 10pm the first night).  I choose not to take a chance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Some people choose not to check bags.  We can pack for an entire week in two legit airplane carry on size suite cases.  So it isn't a case of bringing too much.

We like to drop our bags so we don't have to lug them around the ship with us.  Since it is an option for us we take advantage of it.  It is not an obsession but a practicality.  We keep a shoulder bag with us.

I have been on far too many cruises with luggage missing (and my mothers went missing once, but luckily was found around 10pm the first night).  I choose not to take a chance.

Oh, me too most of the time. But I never considered it lugging. Not since the invention of backpacks and wheels. If you are told by the cruise line it is acceptable to drop off, by all means do so, but don’t bother the stewards. The problem is all the entitled people who aren’t supposed to be there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm the one with the backpack and a carryon wheeling on the champagne😁. Mom has a wheelchair with a pusher.  When she was 75 before her stroke she was very functional. I'll let you know how goes this Monday on Sunshine👍

Great that you are helping your mom to enjoy travel. Enjoy the champagne.

• Like 1

I've never understood people bothering the stewards when they're working their behinds off getting the cabins ready.  I give my bags to a porter, tip well, and get on the ship w/ a fanny pack because I don't want to carry anything.  I'm a tall woman, trust me, if my bags were lost I couldn't replace clothing from the ship shops or a port unless it was a cruise to Norway or Iceland.  

Be kind.  If you don't want to carry your stuff around don't, but don't think it is ok to make the steward's job harder.  It isn't. 

• Like 3

We just off the Sunshine. We received a letter from Carnival stating that as a platinum member, we could drop off our carry-on when we got board. But, when we boarded, all of the door to the cabin halls were closed and we could not drop off the carry-on after all.

7 minutes ago, CTCruisers said:

We just off the Sunshine. We received a letter from Carnival stating that as a platinum member, we could drop off our carry-on when we got board. But, when we boarded, all of the door to the cabin halls were closed and we could not drop off the carry-on after all.

I find the doors to the cabin hallway closed but I open them, find my room, drop off luggage in closet, let attendant know (think I'll bring a post-it this cruise) and then go to lunch.  This happens every cruise for me.

4 hours ago, CTCruisers said:

Main door are always closed.   If you are are in the group that is allowed to drop their bags, you need to open them and go in.  This does not apply to every one, ONLY the ones with the level/room type to do so.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CTCruisers said:

As others stated, when boarding just open the hallway door (using lots of muscle---they are heavy!) then put your carry-on in your cabin. Make certain you find a room steward and inform her/him otherwise they might think the luggage was left by the former occupant and send it to "lost and found". By the way I see you're from West Haven, I taught there for 37 years. Enjoy your cruises!

30 minutes ago, chocolate melting cake said:

As others stated, when boarding just open the hallway door (using lots of muscle---they are heavy!) then put your carry-on in your cabin. Make certain you find a room steward and inform her/him otherwise they might think the luggage was left by the former occupant and send it to "lost and found". By the way I see you're from West Haven, I taught there for 37 years. Enjoy your cruises!

Please do not go looking for a room attendant for any reason before 1:30pm.  They already know there was no luggage left in that room. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Please do not go looking for a room attendant for any reason before 1:30pm.  They already know there was no luggage left in that room. 

That's why I thought a post it might be useful👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

That's why I thought a post it might be useful👍

I print luggage tags for my bags even though I’m not checking them. The room steward could quickly identify that they belonged in that room. I try to avoid them as much as possible when dropping my bags, save the intro for later.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tree.critter said:

I print luggage tags for my bags even though I’m not checking them. The room steward could quickly identify that they belonged in that room. I try to avoid them as much as possible when dropping my bags, save the intro for later.

Plus, if you have regular ID tags on your luggage (which one should always have no matter the mode of travel), a steward could match it to the scheduled guests for that cabin. 

Of all the lost/delayed/misrouted  luggage stories I have heard or read about, absolutely zero have involved early drop-off luggage. The stewards are crazy busy that day. My guess is that they are not going to waste precious turnover time identifying luggage. They are probably going to assume that it belongs to the embarking cruisers. 

• Like 1

Most, if not all the times the doors are closed and staff members are at the elevator landings to guard them. Those staff members are doing a once a cruise task, and are instructed to turn people away until 1:30.

Make it easy for you and them by printing off the information allowing early cabin access for drop-off if you are eligible, open the doors, drop your luggage and then get out of the way. 

Remember, the crew members have their busiest day on embark/debark and what goes with that is a significant number of people complaining. 

See you at sea.

6 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Most, if not all the times the doors are closed and staff members are at the elevator landings to guard them. Those staff members are doing a once a cruise task, and are instructed to turn people away until 1:30.

Make it easy for you and them by printing off the information allowing early cabin access for drop-off if you are eligible, open the doors, drop your luggage and then get out of the way. 

Remember, the crew members have their busiest day on embark/debark and what goes with that is a significant number of people complaining. 

See you at sea.

I have never seen crew guarding room entry.  There are crew by the forward elevators to provide directions only.  Doors are always closed but can be opened

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

I have never seen crew guarding room entry.  There are crew by the forward elevators to provide directions only.  Doors are always closed but can be opened.

Yes, I guess you're right. We have only seen them on most of thirty-six cruises on Carnival. 

You also surely read this from my original post: 

... if you are eligible, open the doors, drop your luggage and then get out of the way. 

Elaine, we almost always get lido deck balconies and are greeted every time by a crew member guarding the doors by turning people away. What you see and what I see might have been different. Whatever it is read all the text on my posts. Our experience goes back to the first one on the Mardi Gras in 1976. 

See You At Sea.

4 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Yes, I guess you're right. We have only seen them on most of thirty-six cruises on Carnival. 

You also surely read this from my original post: 

... if you are eligible, open the doors, drop your luggage and then get out of the way. 

Elaine, we almost always get lido deck balconies and are greeted every time by a crew member guarding the doors by turning people away. What you see and what I see might have been different. Whatever it is read all the text on my posts. Our experience goes back to the first one on the Mardi Gras in 1976. 

See You At Sea.

I have been on every deck and never seen one crew preventing preventing anyone from opening hall doors. There aren't crew to spare. There are hundreds of comments in these boards from people who abuse this perk and no one have ever complained a crew member has stopped them.  And if someone was thwarted from going to their cabin early, they would be screaming bloody murder.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I have been on every deck and never seen one crew preventing preventing anyone from opening hall doors. There aren't crew to spare. There are hundreds of comments in these boards from people who abuse this perk and no one have ever complained a crew member has stopped them.  And if someone was thwarted from going to their cabin early, they would be screaming bloody murder.   

I'll try one more time Elaine. We have never had a problem for early access beyond being questioned if we were platinum or diamond. Once we showed our status we were able to access our cabin. Pre-Covid we were able to stay there, and once we returned to cruising the option to drop luggage was no problem. 
 The staff members we've encountered were dancers, tech crew and more. When you say "hundreds... and no one has ever complained" that is a blanket statement. I gave you the actual experiences from cruises aboard the Liberty, Freedom, Glory, Breeze, Triumph, Valor, Vista, Magic, Conquest, Ecstasy, Elation and Imagination. The rest were before the early access option was in place. I have little care if you don't believe me, we are just three short of fifty years cruising with Carnival and Royal Caribbean so we might have missed something...

See You At Sea.