New to RCL. Have a few Q’s

luc122

So this is our first cruise on royal, going on freedom of the seas. 

- not doing dining package, but want to do 1 specialty restaurant. I can book it and pay for it, does that payment link to my sea card so when I go to eat I just tell them I already paid for it?

- do I pay for excursions on a separate credit card prior to sailing? Someone told me the booking gets held and the payment goes on my sea card once I board? ( which seems odd)

- and seems silly, but what happens if I fall on the flow rider? Do I get swept away to the bottom?  Is it any fun? 

thanks for any help

Yes, CP purchases appear on your sea pass card so the restaurant will know you’ve paid already.

As far as I know, excursion purchases are charged immediately not when you actually take it.

If you “fall” on the flow rider, the water pushes you up not down.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, luc122 said:

So this is our first cruise on royal, going on freedom of the seas. 

- not doing dining package, but want to do 1 specialty restaurant. I can book it and pay for it, does that payment link to my sea card so when I go to eat I just tell them I already paid for it?

- do I pay for excursions on a separate credit card prior to sailing? Someone told me the booking gets held and the payment goes on my sea card once I board? ( which seems odd)

- and seems silly, but what happens if I fall on the flow rider? Do I get swept away to the bottom?  Is it any fun? 

thanks for any help

When I booked izumi for instance I had to pick a date and then a time. Then that goes into my planner which appears on my app. I'm sure they have a record onboard, but I'd bring my app for the menu perhaps.

Why pay for excursions on a separate credit card, I'm not sure. Not sure what you mean. I book a excursion or 2. The excursion tickets with directions where and when to meet are usually laid on my bed when I enter my cabin if I pre purchased them. Both in the same envelope, but np. 

If you mean does rcl do a test debit that then disappears from the billings, I've heard yes, never bothered me.

14 hours ago, luc122 said:

As others have noted the water will simply push you up to the top. Note that you will be signing a waiver before you can ride the Flowrider that basically says if you hurt yourself or die, RCCL is not responsible. No joke. 

They start you out on laying out on your stomach on the boogie board.  If you do well with that, they'll allow you to get on your knees on the board.  Then if you do well with that, you're finally allowed to stand up on the board.

If you purchase The Key you will get some private time with a small group on the Flowrider (and ice rink) as part of the package.  

2 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

They start you out on laying out on your stomach on the boogie board.  If you do well with that, they'll allow you to get on your knees on the board.  Then if you do well with that, you're finally allowed to stand up on the board.

Just to clarify, that's two different boards/flowriders/times.  The boogie board I find "fun enough" (and I don't feel like taking enough time to get my 50+yo body to balance on standup).  

You won't be able to go from your knees to standing in the same ride.  Depending on how it's structured, will depend on how you can "advance".  Ships with single flow riders will have specific times for Key members (I think can boogie or standup), boogie boarding, and standup.  You can't do standup during the boogie boarding time and can't boogie during stand up time.

Ships with multiple flowriders can have boogie boarding on one and stand up on the other. 

• Like 1