Live on Board the Majestic Princess - Alaska bound

LawDog61

Host CJSKIDS
This post was recognized by Host CJSKIDS!

"Thank you for doing a live from. Enjoy your sailing!"

LawDog61 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We boarded at Los Angeles yesterday and are heading north to Vancouver by way of San Francisco, Victoria, and finally Vancouver. They ship is about 60% full and it’s very comfortable moving around. Apparently many people have been on since Sydney as the Majestic‘s working its way from Sydney to Vancouver. They had a pleasant and calm 28 day crushing. That is a great cruise. We did it in 2019 right before Covid on the old golden.

My favorite party band singer, Helen (voice of Romania) is on board and doing her usual  Good job rocking the ship. I have never seen an entertainer who enjoys herself while entertaining as much as Helen does.

As a Celiac, I must eat gluten free ad while I have learned how to navigate the buffet ad restaurant on princess ships, it’s always kind of a pain having to seek out a chef and have them walk around and show me what is gluten-free.  Majestic is the first princess ship I have encountered, which actually labels the dishes in the buffet as gluten-free. This is such a simple thing to do and saves both myself, and the chefs a great deal a bother.

The sea is generally calm, although it was a little bumpy during the night. Tomorrow is San Francisco .

• Like 5

@LawDog61We were on the Discovery in February and April and did see some gluten-free labels on a few food items (bread, desserts) in the buffet.  There might have been more GF options.  Had I needed to eat GF, I probably would have paid more attention to the offerings.

Enjoy your cruise.

18 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

As a Celiac, I must eat gluten free ad while I have learned how to navigate the buffet ad restaurant on princess ships, it’s always kind of a pain having to seek out a chef and have them walk around and show me what is gluten-free.  Majestic is the first princess ship I have encountered, which actually labels the dishes in the buffet as gluten-free. This is such a simple thing to do and saves both myself, and the chefs a great deal a bother.

I'm also a celiac and will be sailing on Majestic over Christmas/New Year 2023--so I'm really glad to hear this.  

One big advantage of having the same server every night in the MDR is the fact that they knew I was gluten-free and would always be ready to help me choose the right food.  Apparently, the new dining system means new servers every night, so I'll have to go through the same explanation every night.

I hope Helen remains on board until our cruise--she sounds wonderful!

3 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

I'm also a celiac and will be sailing on Majestic over Christmas/New Year 2023--so I'm really glad to hear this.  

One big advantage of having the same server every night in the MDR is the fact that they knew I was gluten-free and would always be ready to help me choose the right food.  Apparently, the new dining system means new servers every night, so I'll have to go through the same explanation every night.

I hope Helen remains on board until our cruise--she sounds wonderful!

You can get the same table/servers/time in the MDR now.  After dinner on the first night, I go up to the front desk of the MDR and request the same table and servers.  I have celiac as well—I tell them that in order to have safe food I need the same servers every night.

Have been on 10 cruises this past year (Enchanted, Royal, Ruby, Discovery, Island) and have always had the same table and servers each night.

To the OP—thanks for doing this!  We’re on the Majestic (B2B) in June!  Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

• Thanks 1

We are boarding the Majestic in Vancouver on Friday for the eight day Alaska return.  What time does your schedule show that you arrive in Vancouver on Friday?  The website shows 1:00 pm but our boarding time is 1:00 pm so that seems tight.  The Port of Vancouver Cruise Ship schedule shows that you arrive at 7:00 am so there seems to be conflicting times. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Forevercrusing said:

We are boarding the Majestic in Vancouver on Friday for the eight day Alaska return.  What time does your schedule show that you arrive in Vancouver on Friday?  The website shows 1:00 pm but our boarding time is 1:00 pm so that seems tight.  The Port of Vancouver Cruise Ship schedule shows that you arrive at 7:00 am so there seems to be conflicting times. Thanks!

@Forevercrusing Confusing info out there for sure! I have been trying to pin down the right information as well. I found two different ship calendars that list different times for the Majestic that day. Here is my understanding. The ship arrives at 1:00 pm from Victoria and sets sail at 10:45 pm. I am pretty certain that our time for departure is correct.

The arrival groups were listed starting at 1:00, then 1:30, 2:00 etc.  Further, on my travel summary it states that boarding time will be at 4:30 pm. This makes the most sense, since I am sure that the ship will have to disembark passengers that came up from LA. Staff will need time to ready the cabins. Sadly, no lunches on board for us this time.

It is my hope that with the Crown sailing out at 4:30 that same day, we should have the most success with our embarkation process, with just one ship being processed, by arriving closest to the 4:30 boarding time. Arriving earlier would just mean more time will be spent in lines and sitting and waiting. JMHO

For those of us who sail frequently from this port, we know that the maze of Canada Place can be quite challenging with two or three ships in town. I am crossing my fingers for a smooth "slide" through the process with only one ship to process in the mid-afternoon. 

Edited by CruzeQueen2

@LawDog61--or anybody else who might be on the Majestic Princess--there is another "Live From" thread active, right now, from the Sapphire Princess, also cruising to Alaska.  I read a report in that thread that there is a Sommelier in the dining rooms.  It has been, I'm guessing. ten years, or so, since I have seen a Somm in a Princess dining room.  Has anybody seen one on the Majestic Princess?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2023 at 8:32 AM, LawDog61 said:

We boarded at Los Angeles yesterday and are heading north to Vancouver by way of San Francisco, Victoria, and finally Vancouver. They ship is about 60% full and it’s very comfortable moving around. Apparently many people have been on since Sydney as the Majestic‘s working its way from Sydney to Vancouver. They had a pleasant and calm 28 day crushing. That is a great cruise. We did it in 2019 right before Covid on the old golden.

I was on the 27 days cruise from Sydney to L.A.; just disembarked on Sunday.  The ship was only 30% full (1103 passengers); no waiting anywhere.  We had excellent service through out the entire cruise.  The main reason I booked that cruise was for the New Zealand ports (total 3 ports), because I never visited New Zealand.  Due to bad weather, we skipped Bay of Islands and Tauranga, replaced with sea days.  And the weather was bad in Auckland, all shops were closed due to Easter Sunday.  So, there goes my New Zealand ports.  🤣   Maui was also skipped, I think main reason was Custom related.  Moorea was added.  For the entire 27 days, our only ports were Auckland, Papeete, Moorea, Honolulu, and Kona.  So, had a lot of relaxing sea days.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

@LawDog61 Question here. What time are the two shows in the Princess theater? Late show at 9:30? or...???

My patters shows “sweet Soul music” at 7:30 and 9:30 tonight 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

I was on the 27 days cruise from Sydney to L.A.; just disembarked on Sunday.  The ship was only 30% full (1103 passengers); no waiting anywhere.  We had excellent service through out the entire cruise.  The main reason I booked that cruise was for the New Zealand ports (total 3 ports), because I never visited New Zealand.  Due to bad weather, we skipped Bay of Islands and Tauranga, replaced with sea days.  And the weather was bad in Auckland, all shops were closed due to Easter Sunday.  So, there goes my New Zealand ports.  🤣   Maui was also skipped, I think main reason was Custom related.  Moorea was added.  For the entire 27 days, our only ports were Auckland, Papeete, Moorea, Honolulu, and Kona.  So, had a lot of relaxing sea days.

Yes you did get a lot of sea days LOL.  We did that cruise in 2019 (?) on the old Golden.   Loved it.    A lot of your ship mates have stayed onboard, going all the way to Alaska.

On 5/2/2023 at 9:32 AM, CruzeQueen2 said:

@LawDog61 Didn't mean to sabotage your thread! Back on track...what productions shows are being presented?

Thank you for your LIVE thread.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Tonight is “Sweet Soul Music” .  I do t usually go to the big shows preferring the small group music, but I will keep an eye on the patters and give you and update.   The music groups i am enjoying are the “Drop” with my favorite Princess singer Helen and the Zinger trio. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2023 at 8:59 AM, CruzeQueen2 said:

@Forevercrusing Confusing info out there for sure! I have been trying to pin down the right information as well. I found two different ship calendars that list different times for the Majestic that day. Here is my understanding. The ship arrives at 1:00 pm from Victoria and sets sail at 10:45 pm. I am pretty certain that our time for departure is correct.

The arrival groups were listed starting at 1:00, then 1:30, 2:00 etc.  Further, on my travel summary it states that boarding time will be at 4:30 pm. This makes the most sense, since I am sure that the ship will have to disembark passengers that came up from LA. Staff will need time to ready the cabins. Sadly, no lunches on board for us this time.

It is my hope that with the Crown sailing out at 4:30 that same day, we should have the most success with our embarkation process, with just one ship being processed, by arriving closest to the 4:30 boarding time. Arriving earlier would just mean more time will be spent in lines and sitting and waiting. JMHO

For those of us who sail frequently from this port, we know that the maze of Canada Place can be quite challenging with two or three ships in town. I am crossing my fingers for a smooth "slide" through the process with only one ship to process in the mid-afternoon. 

From a post by copper 10-8 over on the HAL board (who is a retired HAL officer) now on a HAL SHIP DOING THE SAME ITINERARY as us, but 2 days ahead, it was a bit of a mess for the in transit passengers.

31 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

From a post by copper 10-8 over on the HAL board (who is a retired HAL officer) now on a HAL SHIP DOING THE SAME ITINERARY as us, but 2 days ahead, it was a bit of a mess for the in transit passengers.

Thank you. Always informative; copper 10-8 reports are worth reading. What time do you arrive - as advertised to the passengers on board? We should be fine with our embarkation with only Crown P in town, sailing at 4:30. We are scheduled to sail at 10:45 pm.

Thank you for taking the time. Have another dessert or drink, enjoy the next two days...are you staying on for a B2B?

4 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

Tonight is “Sweet Soul Music” .  I do t usually go to the big shows preferring the small group music, but I will keep an eye on the patters and give you and update.   The music groups i am enjoying are the “Drop” with my favorite Princess singer Helen and the Zinger trio. 

Zinger Trio is my husbands favorite, they have been on our last 2 cruises!

• Like 2

Hope you're having a great time! Have they officially closed/converted Bistro in favor of The Catch? We sail next weekend and had made reservations at all 3 specialty restaurants (Bistro, Harmony, Crown). Now my Bistro reservation is showing as Harmony for a second time.

3 hours ago, Forevercrusing said:

Hi everyone!  What time do you arrive in Vancouver tomorrow?

Per the in transit letter we got last night, a 1:00 arrival.  In transit all aboard is 7:30

• Thanks 1