Another itinerary change for Navigator

I’ve been trying to visit Newport for years.  One time the cruise was canceled.  Then, bad seas kept us from stopping.  Fingers crossed we make at the end of the month.  If not, I may just have to plan a land trip.

23 hours ago, pappy1022 said:

I think the passengers deserve an explanation. I don’t think that it is too much to ask. Regent tells you if it is weather related and if it’s not safe to dock/tender. Why can’t they tell you the truth if there is a different reason? Just sayin’. I know it won’t change things but if a port or an excursion is cancelled, especially at the last moment, I think it shows honesty by Regent and respect for the customer. 

Why do you find it "dishonest?"  Have you called Regent and asked why a port has cancelled?  

We had a port change on an upcoming cruise, and the email stated "due to a berthing conflict."  No deception at all but also meaningless to me.  If a port is cancelled, it';s cancelled.  

• Like 2

I didn’t use the word dishonest but I can see how you could interpret it that way. Saying nothing isn’t being dishonest. All I am saying is that Regent should tell the people on board the truth about the reason for cancellation or change in itinerary. I think that’s better than not saying anything.

• Thanks 1

We had several ports canceled while on the WC. The CD always told us why they were cancel in the morning talks, but you had to be listening….Rough seas, slower speed than planned for due to sea conditions etc. Now the ones canceled  pre cruise were just canceled as I remember. Sans for the one canceled last Dec and for the port time changes 

Also the free tours have a value assigned, the subs were $99 and several we did this winter were $100 to $125. The valve can be up to $150 I think I read. Just like the ports they happen or they don’t.

I don’t expect a refund of port docking fees or tours. That is risk of cruising.

Edited by cwn

There are several people contributing to this thread that are actually on this cruise, while no one can change what Regent has done and with no communication from them to give reasons, have any of you actually got in touch with Head Office to ask them what reason was behind the need for these changes.

I realise none of you on the cruise might not be at all bothered by these changes, after all you will still be on a lovely cruise, (albeit not the one originally booked) but it would after all (if they gave you a reason) put an end to all this speculation by us.

• Like 1

I don’t know whether contacting Regent will make much difference. We have had a port ( Holyhead) deleted with a day at sea the substitute. I contacted Regent via the rep we booked through and the following was the response.

Due to the far out publication of our planned cruises, various operational factors sometimes result in the review and revision of itineraries as we get closer to sailing. 
Our rep added ‘ many times this is due to a docking conflict’. Not in our case. Not one ship ( now) berthing in Holyhead that day.

• Like 2

But there could be a non cruise ship that was given preference over the Regent ship. You never know, one time the Princess ship we were on missed the port because a HAL ship was at the only dock, Just sailed by the HALship  and we had an unplanned sea day! 

If the port city is a must see for you, you need to plan a land trip. There are no guarantees on a cruise ship’s itinerary or that you will get the tour you want/like in every port. Cruising has a lot of moving parts. It is a wonderfully indulgent vacation, but the port are just icing, not the cake.

• Like 1

Well for some, the destination is a big part of the cruising journey and isn’t just icing on the cake, it’s part of the cake. To some, they aren’t worried if there isn’t a lounge chair at the pool. For others this is a big deal. For some, they are irritated that their meal took a little longer to arrive. For others, it just doesn’t matter. The point is that different things matter to different people and we should all respect those differences. If shore excursions are indeed the icing on the cake, I would suggest that the icing is often the best part of a cake.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

In fairness, I cruise for the destinations in that I like to visit for a brief snapshot and if I enjoy the short visit then I return for a land based visit (in Europe at least). In more far flung places - it may be the only time I will ever get to see some of these destinations.

The cruise is a comfortable way to do this which does not require the constant packing and unpacking that a land based tour involves and the travelling itself is far more enjoyable than sitting on a coach 😜

Re Parapara's comment about Holyhead - this was mentioned on FB and it would appear that more than one Regent cruise is now missing Holyhead which isn't only a blow for the passengers who wanted to visit gwlad Duw ei hun (God's own country), but also for the local businesses which rely on tourism for their livelihood!

• Like 2

Back to the itinerary change without explanation. 

Norwegian Escape has just arrived at Great Stirrup Cay. So, it appears we got bumped by a ship that does not offer “free” excursions.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cwn said:

But there could be a non cruise ship that was given preference over the Regent ship. You never know, one time the Princess ship we were on missed the port because a HAL ship was at the only dock, Just sailed by the HALship  and we had an unplanned sea day! 

If the port city is a must see for you, you need to plan a land trip. There are no guarantees on a cruise ship’s itinerary or that you will get the tour you want/like in every port. Cruising has a lot of moving parts. It is a wonderfully indulgent vacation, but the port are just icing, not the cake.

But the icing is part of the cake and without the icing then surely the cake is not as good.

13 minutes ago, Anchorbuoy said:

Norwegian Escape has just arrived at Great Stirrup Cay. So, it appears we got bumped by a ship that does not offer “free” excursions.  

That is what seems to be happening, people on here say that since covid tour companies providing excursions have lost staff, this is true but if you look at other cruise line forums it does not appear there is a lot of talk of excursions being cancelled by lines that charge for them. Cruise lines where excursions are not "free" (nearly all of them) don't appear to be having the same problem, is it because they make money out of excursions and Regent do not, so therefore are not as likely to cancel, or am i being just cynical.

1 hour ago, Anchorbuoy said:

Interesting. We are on Navigator now and have just docked in Freeport. They did arrange some last minute excursions. I do not think that the Escape was originally scheduled to be with us in Great Stirrup Key. Not sure what happened.

On 5/5/2023 at 8:58 AM, pappy1022 said:

I didn’t use the word dishonest but I can see how you could interpret it that way. Saying nothing isn’t being dishonest. All I am saying is that Regent should tell the people on board the truth about the reason for cancellation or change in itinerary. I think that’s better than not saying anything.

You said "Why can’t they tell you the truth if there is a different reason?"  Sort of means you think they are being dishonest. 😏

I bet if you call Regent they'll tell you the reason they cancelled.

• Haha 1

Equally unhappy about Newport being dropped from the itinerary.  Like everyone else had commented, I would like to know the reason why? Like many, booked this cruise because of the ports with the highlights being Hamilton and Newport.  There are other cruise line options out there may have been a better, and less expensive option, than Regent.  It is sad to be disappointed by a “luxury” line before one has even boarded the vessel.  An explanation would be appreciated.   

More changes to our itinerary…..

Missed St George Bermuda, and stayed at Hamilton. 
Corner Brook was canceled and replaced with Charlottetown PEI

Docking in Sydney was canceled upon arrival, and tendering is in progress. 

Yet with reasonable explanations provided for these by the Captain in his announcements:

St. George due to high winds there, with the local pilot advising against attempting entry to the narrow passage. 

Corner Brook, due to ice still in area, making nighttime navigation challenging; so avoid the risk.

Sydney, due to our berth occupied (sounds like a port operator error).

These things happen. 

• Like 5

On 5/8/2023 at 12:17 PM, papaflamingo said:

You said "Why can’t they tell you the truth if there is a different reason?"  Sort of means you think they are being dishonest. 😏

I bet if you call Regent they'll tell you the reason they cancelled.

papaflamingo, 

I'm not so sure about that.

We were informed last week that Stavanger has been dropped for a sea day on our Splendor cruise this July. Now we can live without going to Stavanger but i thought i would phone Regents UK office to see what the reason they would give for this, guess what, the young lady said that all the information she was given is that it was operational needs, i asked what this actually meant by this, i was told that if i wanted any more information regarding this then i would need to email Regents reservations department, i did this and this was their reply.

Please note that due to the far-out publication of our planned cruises, various operational factors sometimes result in the review and revision of itineraries as we get closer to sailing. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused regarding this.

Please let me know if you have any other queries regarding this and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Many thanks.

Kind Regards,

No further explanation was given, just operational needs changed to operational factors so yesterday i decided to send a follow up email to see if they can/will shed any light regarding the required change.

This was what i sent.

Operational factors can mean anything and everything, that does not give your paying customers (us) a reason for cancelling Stavanger. This far out why can’t a replacement port be found. We have cruised for many years and on many cruise lines so therefore have had ports cancelled before but we have been given either a reason (not just operational needs) or a different port substituted. Why can a proper reason not be given, do you not think we deserve one, it seems to me that Regent could treat us as adults and not what seems to be hiding behind such a general statement of operational needs as to why we must miss Stavanger. My wife and i can live with not going there but just can't see why Regent can not be upfront with the need to cancel it. What next, will further ports on this cruise be cancelled for operational needs, because Stavanger is not the only port cancelled recently by Regent recently is it.

As i have said, i fully understand that sometimes things happen that are out of control of the operator and that changes have to be made to the itinerary but surely treating us with openness and giving out a little more information which would keep us in the picture (or would you rather us not) and not kept in the dark,  or is it that Regent don’t really care about us or what we think.

I have not heard anything from them as yet but will update you if i do receive any further information.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Anchorbuoy said:

More changes to our itinerary…..

Missed St George Bermuda, and stayed at Hamilton. 
Corner Brook was canceled and replaced with Charlottetown PEI

Docking in Sydney was canceled upon arrival, and tendering is in progress. 

Hamilton > St. George by a HUGE margin........that's a win.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2023 at 4:05 PM, Kwaj girl said:

We are on B2B (actually 5 that started 4/21) so still have Newport on the voyage prior to this cancelled stop.  We, personally, are thrilled- now we can go to Katz's for that corned beef/pastrami huge sandwich....with half-sour pickles! 

New dill for me!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, seasickphil said:

papaflamingo, 

I'm not so sure about that.

We were informed last week that Stavanger has been dropped for a sea day on our Splendor cruise this July. Now we can live without going to Stavanger but i thought i would phone Regents UK office to see what the reason they would give for this, guess what, the young lady said that all the information she was given is that it was operational needs, i asked what this actually meant by this, i was told that if i wanted any more information regarding this then i would need to email Regents reservations department, i did this and this was their reply.

Please note that due to the far-out publication of our planned cruises, various operational factors sometimes result in the review and revision of itineraries as we get closer to sailing. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused regarding this.

Please let me know if you have any other queries regarding this and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Many thanks.

Kind Regards,

No further explanation was given, just operational needs changed to operational factors so yesterday i decided to send a follow up email to see if they can/will shed any light regarding the required change.

This was what i sent.

Operational factors can mean anything and everything, that does not give your paying customers (us) a reason for cancelling Stavanger. This far out why can’t a replacement port be found. We have cruised for many years and on many cruise lines so therefore have had ports cancelled before but we have been given either a reason (not just operational needs) or a different port substituted. Why can a proper reason not be given, do you not think we deserve one, it seems to me that Regent could treat us as adults and not what seems to be hiding behind such a general statement of operational needs as to why we must miss Stavanger. My wife and i can live with not going there but just can't see why Regent can not be upfront with the need to cancel it. What next, will further ports on this cruise be cancelled for operational needs, because Stavanger is not the only port cancelled recently by Regent recently is it.

As i have said, i fully understand that sometimes things happen that are out of control of the operator and that changes have to be made to the itinerary but surely treating us with openness and giving out a little more information which would keep us in the picture (or would you rather us not) and not kept in the dark,  or is it that Regent don’t really care about us or what we think.

I have not heard anything from them as yet but will update you if i do receive any further information.

Ok.  Still sounds like you believe that Regent is being purposefully dishonest and deceiving to you.  But if that's how you feel, fair enough.

You should try to push it "upstairs" until you get a reason that will satisfy you. 

10 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Ok.  Still sounds like you believe that Regent is being purposefully dishonest and deceiving to you.  But if that's how you feel, fair enough.

You should try to push it "upstairs" until you get a reason that will satisfy you. 

papaflamingo

I believe you might be mixing me up with pappy 1022, nowhere in my reply to you did i mention Regent being dishonest.

Reading back, Parapara (post 31) got exactly the same answer word for word as i did, so therefore it makes out that all port cancellations are for the same reason. Or could it be something else?, i wonder.

52 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

papaflamingo

I believe you might be mixing me up with pappy 1022, nowhere in my reply to you did i mention Regent being dishonest.

Reading back, Parapara (post 31) got exactly the same answer word for word as i did, so therefore it makes out that all port cancellations are for the same reason. Or could it be something else?, i wonder.

YOU said "just can't see why Regent can not be upfront with the need to cancel it."  How else do I interpret that other than you think they are not being "upfront" and therefore indicate you think they are being dishonest or purposefully deceptive.   Again, if you want exact details, push it "upstairs" and see if someone in senior management can explain what "operational factors" they're referring to. 

• Haha 1